Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #41
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My experience is similar for sure. I have a breathalyzer, its a BACtrack one, quite nice, is DOT certified so I have no doubts its accurate (and has been very consistently accurate. I even sent it back to BAC to be recalibrated when I noted it wasn't functioning and I got sent a new one).

My observations? And keep in mind I am a reasonable consumer of alcohol, I brew and keg beer, so its convenient haha. 0.05 I am displaying the effects of being intoxicated, I well know I should not drive, its quite clear. at 0.08 I am walk into doorways drunk. 0.08 is straight up hammered.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #42
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Impaired and 0.08 are two different charges in the criminal code. All the police need is reasonable grounds to believe your ability to operate a motor vehicle is impaired by drug or alcohol to charge you. In most cases they won't even get a road side sample as it just hampers their case for your impairment. "If you were certain he was impaired, why did you need a roadside sample?"

The breath demand is what you will be read when it's time to go downtown and an actual breath tech has to take that sample. Within four hours of time of drive to get the certificate they can use as evidence in court, however an expert can come in to extrapolate the sample if you pass that window.

This impairment will always be different for different people, so don't get hung up on the BAC.

Also the penalty for refusal is the same as impaired or 0.08 so never refuse. Refusal can include pretending to blow, or purposely blowing out the side of your mouth etc.. as well.

Honestly if you drink, just don't drive it's that simple. You are the worst person to try and assess your own level of impairment and your buddies are not trained professionals and are most likely drinking with you. If you need any motivation for that read this article:

http://www.cjme.com/2016/06/09/van-d...g-and-driving/
This. All of it.

Everyone needs to read it and then read it again. And then realize that if you drink ANY alcohol you simply don't drive. No exceptions no excuses.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #43
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

lol wrong thread
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #44
takinghits
Draft Pick

I don't think it takes much to hit .05.... these are the rules:

What are the administrative penalties for drivers with a BAC of .05 to .08?
Previously, drivers caught with a blood alcohol concentration of .05 or greater were subject to a 24-hour suspension. Under Alberta#s new rules, these drivers get:
A roadside sanction of a 3 day licence suspension and 3 day vehicle seizure for the first offence
A roadside sanction of a 15 day suspension and 7 day vehicle seizure for the second offence plus a mandatory remedial course and may be referred to the Alberta Transportation Safety Board by the Registrar
A roadside sanction of a 30 day suspension and 7 day vehicle seizure for third and subsequent offences plus a mandatory review by the Alberta Transportation Safety Board and a remedial course
takinghits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #45
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Everyone needs to read it and then read it again. And then realize that if you drink ANY alcohol you simply don't drive. No exceptions no excuses.
That's a bit dramatic. I think most reasonable people can consume 1-2 drinks and be just fine. If that is your personal policy, feel free to act accordingly. But I wouldn't go around preaching it to others.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #46
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
That's a bit dramatic. I think most reasonable people can consume 1-2 drinks and be just fine. If that is your personal policy, feel free to act accordingly. But I wouldn't go around preaching it to others.
If I don't do it, then nobody can!
Old 12-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #47
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I believe in zero tolerance. If I am driving, I don’t drink any alcohol. I wish more people would take this approach.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #48
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Why not? The world would be a better place for it.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #49
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Why not? The world would be a better place for it.
Why would the world be a better place if people who had 2 drinks and then drive had zero drinks and then drove?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #50
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Why would the world be a better place if people who had 2 drinks and then drive had zero drinks and then drove?
Because if society as a whole had this strategy, the jerks who have way too much to drink would also be off the road and I’m willing to sacrifice my drinking for safer roads.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #51
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because if society as a whole had this strategy, the jerks who have way too much to drink would also be off the road and I’m willing to sacrifice my drinking for safer roads.
Why do the jerks get off the road?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #52
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s a little naive to think that. You could make it zero tolerance by law and the jerks would still drive.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #53
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You can be charged with impaired driving even if you only have 1 drink.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #54
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You can be charged with impaired driving even if you only have 1 drink.
Only if that one drink made me impaired, but I fit into a large group of people that this does not apply to, so why should I follow a blanket non tolerance rule imposed by moralists and not the law?
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #55
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe in zero tolerance. If I am driving, I don’t drink any alcohol. I wish more people would take this approach.
I went out Saturday night with some friends to play pool/darts/shuffleboard.
I had 3 - 4 small glasses of draught in a 4 hour time frame, with a few glasses of water. You're saying I should have spent $60 on a cab instead of driving home?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #56
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I had 3 - 4 small glasses of draught in a 4 hour time frame, with a few glasses of water. You're saying I should have spent $60 on a cab instead of driving home?
DuffMan knows how to Parteee!

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #57
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
yes or dont drink.

is your love of wine so great that you wouldnt sacrifice it so we could get the guys who drink a bottle of JD off the road too?

personal choice clearly, if i was one of your friends I would attend and be your designated driver and not drink at all without a second thought.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #58
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's far to huge of a nanny state, that probably won't even accomplish what you want.

If someone drinks responsibly, why shouldn't they be able to responsibly drive their car home? Because some other idiot might not?

I'm huge on not drinking and driving (see my posts about Nenshi and Uber) but I see why drinking responsibly and driving home unimpaired have to be mutual exclusive events. In fact, they aren't.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #59
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
yes or dont drink.

is your love of wine so great that you wouldnt sacrifice it so we could get the guys who drink a bottle of JD off the road too?

personal choice clearly, if i was one of your friends I would attend and be your designated driver and not drink at all without a second thought.
Someone who (under the current rules) drives after drinking a bottle of JD will not be not change their habits if the law is .08, .05 or zero tolerance.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #60
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm more concerned about the idiots staring at their laps texting than people who've had one glass of beer.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post: