Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #21
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is probably one game where I don't mind having Peluso dressed...just because Zac Rinaldo is a scum bag.

I don't think Peluso is a deterrent to stop Rinaldo from running around but at least if he crosses the line then you can send him out there instead of losing a guy like Hamonic.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #22
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
I don't like Neal on the third line.
If the guy actually moved his feet and didn't float so much maybe he would be playing up the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #23
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Peluso confirmed in

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames RW Anthony Peluso in lineup in Nashville. Instead of RW Garnet Hathaway, who is still on ice for extended morning skate.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Are you grumpy these days Scorp? You're usually not like this...Prout the other night, Peluso today. LOL
Stress, probably. Midterms coming up for a first-year do wonders for the psyche.

Also, though, these guys just aren't NHL players. Idk what they're doing around a team that has the potential to be so much more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #25
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So far Neal is 6th for forwards in terms of ATOI. Its still early but he has played 16:43 a night.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #26
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nashville has worms.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #27
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik
Bennett-Dube-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Peluso

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Stone
Valimaki-Andersson

Smith (Starter)
Rittich
So does this mean Rittich likely starts our next game if we want to try and limit Smith to around 55-60 games?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #28
fire_starter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
So does this mean Rittich likely starts our next game if we want to try and limit Smith to around 55-60 games?

Peters already confirmed Rittich will play in St Louis
Old 10-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #29
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I mean, if you wanna get technical, he's not mediocre at drawing penalties. Of the 439 forwards who've logged at least 1000 minutes since 2015, Garnet Hathaway has the eighth highest penalty draw rate at 2.26 Penalties Drawn per sixty minutes.

Also in the top quartile among current Flames,

Tkachuk - 4th
Gaudreau - 40th
Bennett - 59th
Neal - 85th
Lazar - 107th

Now of those six players, Hathaway does howeverhave the worst penalty differential:

Gaudreau +83
Tkachuk +28
Lazar +18
Neal +16
Bennett -4
Hathaway -8

But I have a feeling he'll be more disciplined under Peters, as will Bennett who was actually +13 before Gulutzan and Hathaway was dead-even before Gulutzan.

So if you think the Flames are a good 4v4 or PP team, Hathaway does put you in those positions more often than not.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #30
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

(Strange repost)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #31
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hot take: If we lose, it doesn’t necessarily mean the team is utter garbage doomed to lose every game. If we win, it doesn’t guarantee us the Stanley Cup.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Professor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #32
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Stress, probably. Midterms coming up for a first-year do wonders for the psyche.

Also, though, these guys just aren't NHL players. Idk what they're doing around a team that has the potential to be so much more.

Good luck on your midterms!

GFG
The Following User Says Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #33
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The whole idea is to be able to score from more than just two lines - and how you do that is by having good players on more than two lines.

I love the idea of Bennett - Dube - Neal.

I think ultimately we’ll end up with:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Czarnik
Bennett - Jankowski/Dube - Neal
Frolik - Dube/Jankowski - Ryan

With strong-side face off switching everywhere except the 3rd line.

That’s a beautiful group of forwards.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #34
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some Penguins fans initially didn't like Kessel on the third line in 2016, the year they stomped their way through the playoffs.

Neal is not as good as Kessel, but conceptually you want a team where opponents are constantly picking their poison. Send your top pair out against Gaudreau and your second pair out against Tkachuk's line? Neal's line scores on your third pair.

Kessel needed two very solid linemates in Bonino and Hagelin for that to work, as well as a top six that didn't need to rely on Kessel. I think we've got that second part down as our top six looks solid without Neal. The other part is for Dube and Bennett and Neal to become a dangerous line together. It won't work if Neal is playing with plugs, just as it hasn't worked with Bennett playing with plugs.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-09-2018 at 12:28 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #35
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lindholm has looked amazing on the first line. Czarnik has so far shown better chemistry on the second line, and adds a right shot and the ability to take draws to that line.

People seem to be hung up on how much salary a player is paid when discussing Neal or Ryan. That is the GM's job, not the coach's. It's up to the coach to find out where each player fits best, regardless of their contract. If Czarnik fits better on the 2nd line and Neal on the 3rd line, I don't care who earns more.

Anyway, if Neal earns more ice time, they can always make that time up on the PP. In addition, I see the 2nd and 3rd lines getting similar minutes, with the 3rd line getting more offensive zone starts. Finally, Neal historically has played his best hockey when teamed up with fast linemates.

Hopefully, with the addition of Peluso, the 4th line will spend most of the game stapled to the bench, I haven't liked what I've seen of Ryan so far, and that trio doesn't give me much confidence.

Last edited by Macindoc; 10-09-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #36
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

If there’s one game you expect to see Peluso draw in its this one. It’s the Zac Rinaldo factor. I’m okay with this move.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Lindholm has looked amazing on the first line. Czarnik has so far shown better chemistry on the second line, and adds a right shot and the ability to take draws to that line.

People seem to be hung up on how much salary a player is paid when discussing Neal or Ryan. That is the GM's job, not the coach's. It's up to the coach to find out where each player fits best, regardless of their contract. If Czarnik fits better on the 2nd line and Neal on the 3rd line, I don't care who earns more.

Anyway, if Neal earns more ice time, they can always make that time up on the PP. In addition, I see the 2nd and 3rd lines getting similar minutes, with the 3rd line getting more offensive zone starts. Finally, Neal historically has played his best hockey when teamed up with fast linemates.

Hopefully, with the addition of Peluso, the 4th line will spend most of the game stapled to the bench, I haven't liked what I've seen of Ryan so far, and that trio doesn't give me much confidence.
I wasn't so hung up on the salary - more that he was the big UFA signing, so putting him on the third line would be an admission of error somehow. The Kessel analogy is good though.

I sure want to see how Jankowski reacts to being a healthy scratch. It only happened twice last year IIRC.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
If there’s one game you expect to see Peluso draw in its this one. It’s the Zac Rinaldo factor. I’m okay with this move.
Hathaway does nothing well so if Peluso can at least fight or get in a scrum I suppose it's better than adding a player that doesn't add much of anything.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #39
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Excited to see that 3rd line in action. I've thought Dube's energy would have worked good with Bennett and Jankowski, but I'll take this change because Neal needs those 3rd line minutes. I don't know if Jank should be the cut, I thought hes played better than Frolik and as good as Ryan in the minutes he has had. Coaches see more and it won't be a bad thing for him to sit if it gives a better perspective.

Getting Neal rolling is key right now and something wasn't clicking on that line. Add in some rough and tumble Bennett to the speed and shot of the other guys and I am optomisitic. Only concern is that Bennett starts to over complicate things again instead of keeping to his simple forecheck and grind.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
Old 10-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #40
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames Press games always seem to be entertaining. Excited for this
Closed Thread