Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #201
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
I have no game, and it seems foolish to over analyze literally everything at step 1 so I'm pretty much just going to vote whatever way gets us a ban before the deadline. Or maybe just vote for the most annoying poster at this point, which is a pretty hotly contested race
If this was one of your first posts I would read it as new town. Two things concern me I don’t think you have said if you are a new player or not and that this frustration is coming out on the 3rd day of posting instead of earlier leads me to think it could be coached.

I’m sorry I’m probably one of the annoying posters on your list. That said I don’t think we should lynch a new player on day 1. If a new player is in the trolls it will become obvious in time.

Also hang in there the game makes more sense on day 2.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #202
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Not sure if there is much in admitting it but I am new to mafia. Still trying to figure out the best way to play the game.

I do like mrkajz idea that one of the scum would have piled on to Winnipeg Fan. I will switch my vote to agulati. Seems like he knows the game and tried to slip in a vote on an early bandwagon
Interesting for a new player that you chose the 3rd person on the bandwagon. Why agulati over the other 3
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #203
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
This is also an interesting post. Are you divulging this info because that is what Flames fans received from Oling and you want to prove you are a Flames fan or did the Greasers get tipped off about the content somehow and you want us to believe you are a Flames fan. The fact that we can state what was in our PM's makes me suspect the Oiler group has a way to know what was sent out. Remember, the proxy troll is "tech savvy" and has a Calgary IP. Just food for thought.
Excuse any sentance structure issues or spelling as I'm on my phone...

Throughout the whole thread, this is the only post that really made me think

After Bizaro mentions Bennett and the Conn Smythe in his PM, Diss jumps on it and claims it as "everyone got this message in their PMs"
That made me wonder that maybe if after seeing a known Flames fan received the Bennett-Smythe post, same as he did, that everyone must have received the same thing, Flames and Oilers alike.

By pointing out that "all Flames fans got this message" he wedged himself in as a Townie and created an Piler theory to boot, making him look like he is hunting.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #204
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vote: Dissentowner
Old 01-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #205
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post

After Bizaro mentions Bennett and the Conn Smythe in his PM, Diss jumps on it and claims it as "everyone got this message in their PMs"
That made me wonder that maybe if after seeing a known Flames fan received the Bennett-Smythe post, same as he did, that everyone must have received the same thing, Flames and Oilers alike.

By pointing out that "all Flames fans got this message" he wedged himself in as a Townie and created an Piler theory to boot, making him look like he is hunting.
Should say Oiler theory, but I kind of like Piler
Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #206
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here I thought Piler was just a mafia term I hadn't been exposed to yet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #207
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some good discussion on this thread today. I'm leaving my vote with Puxlut for now but interested to see how things progress. Based on what I'm reading the most important thing is to have a consensus for a day one lynching.

Also I had to google what 'meta' means.

Anyone have time for an update of voting totals?
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #208
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a good point DropIt. I also thought initially that that might be a way to differentiate at the end and can be used by an actual townie to throw in a vote.

But Diss' referred to post (Everyone probably received the same message) made me reflect on previous games. I believe that was just something to get the conversation started by Oling and not a nugget to use as a clue. That doesn't exonerate Diss, but neither does it really point towards him being a mafia.

Scorn is getting quite defensive and feeling attacked and attacking in response. I just think that is because he is a newbie. His posts are making my initial read on him as being town.

I'm more concerned about those who are either attacking without merit or piling on without merit.

We have to keep in mind there is a parallel discussion going on between the mafia, who are discussing tactics and trying to approach it very systematically, whereas the rest of us are thinking individually and are going about this blindly. On day 1, the more "strategic" players could be the show of being mafia.

I don't think certain posters are mafia, but Im not sure about any of the rest. I'm just trying to eliminate those who I don't think of mafia and will vote accordingly at the end. Lynch mob mentality (and getting the automatic 7 votes to ban) always works in the hand of the mafia initially. Three mafia votes just like that can sneak through currently. I would rather we vote how we think, and try to convince otherwise at this point.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #209
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post

This might be the most ridiculous theory I have ever read. So I bridge the theory that the Oiler fans have knowledge of what us Flames fans received in our PM's because Oling said we could discuss them so that makes sense and remind everyone one of their roles allows them to essentially be a hacker. I bring up it seems funny that some posters are trying to use what they got in their PM to make them look like Flames fans and pointing this stuff out makes me look suspicious? I would have to be the dumbest Oiler fan ever to try and bring that to attention instead of lurking in the reeds. Not that all Oiler fans are not dumb but that would take it to a new level.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #210
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do you have more information than us that allows you to make this assumption.
This is pure speculation on my part. In post #129 devo22 talks about when he was scum in a prior game they spread it out how active they were. Then again mrkajz44 post #134 says when he was scum he made sure to be active a lot. I am speculating that there is a decent chance one of the new players is an Oilers fan and if the other two are more experienced players they might be directing him to lay low. I have played almost every mafia game on here and have never gotten a scum role so I have no idea what strategy they employ. Just trying to figure that out from what others have said.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #211
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm basically leery of anyone who's being overly considerate of us New players and sowing distrust among the group, especially with regards to the veterans as that's clearly the easiest route to a troll victory. GGG/HockeyGuy vote on page 1 seemed like a staged throw-off to me. Feels like they're both playing the foil and taking turns questioning everyone elses motives

Beyond that, why try and coerce everyone to get in votes so early if not to manufacture some of these suspicions, and then as soon as a newbie looks to be in danger of banning try and deflect away from them, then interrogate yet another newbie

/overanalyzed
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #212
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remove Vote: Winnipegfan
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #213
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scorn, I don't think mafia would do that so quickly into the game and draw attention to themselves right from the get go.

It is definitely a tactic that probably has happened in the game so far, where a mafia already has voted for another mafia to make it seem that they are not connected. I just don't think it would be done for the first vote.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #214
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry guys, I am updating votes on mobile, please point out any mistakes.

From this post forward only votes and removed votes done properly will be counted (i.e. in a post by themselves) as it makes it a lot more easier to confirm with the search function when on mobile.

Day 1

With 15 posters, it takes 8 votes to ban user prior to deadline. It takes at least 5 votes to ban user at the deadline. A tied vote at deadline results in no banning.

Vote Count:

Votes Scornfire (2): Hockeyguy15, SebC

Votes Puxlut (2): GGG, crazy_eoj

Votes Winnipegfan (1): dissentowner

Votes agulati (3): Winnipegfan, mrkajz44, Bonded

Votes mrkajz44 (1): Fuzz

Votes Dissentowner (1): Dropit

Hasn’t Voted (5):
devo22, agulati, Puxlut, Scornfire, bizaro86

Deadline is Thursday, January 24th at 10:00 PM Mountain Time.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #215
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think right now my best thoughts are one of scornfire/agulati are newish oiler fans. The piling on winnipegfan and the defensiveness after (more so scornfire) suggest that to me.

For the veterans - GGG is playing exactly the same game he always does. If he's an oiler fan he's really good. Sebc is inscrutable as always. Last time he got lynched quick for that, I'd like to see how it plays out a bit.

Hg and mrkajz both seem a bit off from their usual styles. I think it seems like one of them may be an oiler fan as well.

Id be inclined to jump on any of those 4, and if we don't have someone at 5 by this time tomorrow I'll jump on whomever of them has the most votes to make sure we get a lynch.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #216
Guest1

Crap. I forgot cutoff was 10pm. If there's any last minute shenanigans, I won't be able to change my vote... I go to bed at 8 because I wake up at 4am on Thursdays and Fridays

Who was that really aggressive player in past games that would just tear into people?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #217
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to vote on Scornfire at this point. I'll reiterate what I said earlier about having mixed feelings about him, although I admit that on day 1 it really is more of a gut feeling than anything else. But looking back at the WinnipegFan vote I started, the other 2 voters pretty much echoed my reasoning (not the worst mafia idea either, so I'm keeping that in mind), while Scornfire piled on AFTER WinnipegFan chimed in and didn't explain why (despite being asked about it). Really not sure why, and he just seems really defensive in general. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if he did wear sweatpants.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #218
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

vote: Scornfire
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #219
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am on board with changing my vote to whomever the consensus is for a lynch.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #220
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remove Vote: Winnipegfan