Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2018, 01:34 PM   #81
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was recently able to find one of the buildings I stayed in while on tour in Croatia.

It filled me with an odd sense of happiness.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #82
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been trying to perfect my recipe for making ginger beef at home and today I almost nailed it. It tasted great, meat was juicy and tender with a nice crispy batter. The only issue today was that it wasn't spicy enough. A bit more heat and I will finally have this nailed down. I love ginger beef.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #83
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have been trying to perfect my recipe for making ginger beef at home and today I almost nailed it. It tasted great, meat was juicy and tender with a nice crispy batter. The only issue today was that it wasn't spicy enough. A bit more heat and I will finally have this nailed down. I love ginger beef.

you can't just go and post that without the recipe!!!
Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #84
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Recipe?? I’ve not had good ginger beef since I lived in Calgary, a place on 4th St SW that I can’t remember the name of.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #85
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Shout out to the cop hiding under Peigan on Stoney this morning around 1020. This very reasonable cop elected not to jack me for whizzing by at 115kph. Indeed he or she knows that 115 on a day like today is not unsafe, and there are bigger fish to fry, like the twats that go 140 and weave.

You made my day, officer, as well as the couple in the black Tacoma right behind me. When black Tacoma passed me a few minutes later, we both gave gestures of 'F-yeah!'.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #86
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, I have been trying to perfect mine as well. I too have come close to nailing it, but alas, the perfect ginger beef still alludes me.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #87
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

had some spare time today so i fired up 'the old girl'!! i haven't started my '89 in over a year. turn the key and it roared to life - that rmmh!!!

i let the truck run for a bit and then gave it a much needed bath. i also took the kids for a spin in it around the cul-de-sac. (there is no insurance on the truck so i figured sticking to our "3 house" cul-de-sac was pretty safe). the kids LOVE my old truck - it's only a 2-seater so that means sitting in the front seat (hey... when you're 5 and 3 that's a big deal!)

IMG_1974 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_1979 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i'm really tempted to put insurance on the '89 for september just so i can drive it around again for a month. i LOVE that truck!
Old 09-02-2018, 10:26 PM   #88
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
had some spare time today so i fired up 'the old girl'!! i haven't started my '89 in over a year. turn the key and it roared to life - that rmmh!!!

i let the truck run for a bit and then gave it a much needed bath. i also took the kids for a spin in it around the cul-de-sac. (there is no insurance on the truck so i figured sticking to our "3 house" cul-de-sac was pretty safe). the kids LOVE my old truck - it's only a 2-seater so that means sitting in the front seat (hey... when you're 5 and 3 that's a big deal!)

IMG_1974 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_1979 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i'm really tempted to put insurance on the '89 for september just so i can drive it around again for a month. i LOVE that truck!
Is that an old step side? I love the old school step side/flare side boxes. If you don't want/need the truck anymore I might be intetested. 2WD or 4x4?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #89
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
2WD or 4x4?
I think you just called his 4x4 low. Thems Okanogan fightin' words.

Last edited by Reaper; 09-02-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #90
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Visiting Calgary with my daughter so we can spend a few days with her Grandpa/ my Dad really makes me happy. Having to leave Monday afternoon without being able to go the football game is a bit of a gear grinder though.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 10:55 PM   #91
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that an old step side? I love the old school step side/flare side boxes. If you don't want/need the truck anymore I might be intetested. 2WD or 4x4?

ha! ha! yup... it's an old step side! i bought the truck in 1997 off a couple in Brooks. they had a baby and since it's a 2-seater they didn't drive it anymore.

i LOVE this truck (that's why i kept it even after buying my '14 2 years ago).

it's a 4x4 and you're not the first one to ask if it's for sale. i've had notes left on my windshield with phone #s saying "please call if you ever want to sell".

i've done a ton of work to it (and still plan on doing lots more in the future). it's hard to believe it was basically stock when i got it in 1997

ha.... bringing it home to show my folks for the first time 20+ years ago....
truck by bc-chris, on Flickr

and more recent pics...
IMG_5422 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_2649 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 09-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #92
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
you can't just go and post that without the recipe!!!
Here is what I have. My recipe makes enough for around 3 adults or in my case a family of four (kids 6 and 8.)

500 grams of flank steak cut into 1/4 inch strips

Batter:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup of water
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil

whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the water until smooth. Add the egg and oil and whisk together. Put the meat into the batter and coat well.

I use a deep fryer set at 375 degrees and fry the beef in 4 or 5 batches moving the beef around in the oil frequently so that it doesn't stick. I cook the beef for about 3 or 4 minutes. You can also use a dutch oven but I've found that controlling the temperature is more difficult with a dutch oven. After frying I throw the beef into a 200 degree oven to keep it warm.

Sauce:

1 large carrot julienned
1/2 a green bell pepper, 1/2 a red bell pepper julienned
1 jalapeno diced (not seeded - if you don't want it as spicy you can remove the seeds)
1/4 cup minced ginger root
4 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon fancy molasses
red pepper flakes (add as much as you want depending on spiciness desired. I like it spicy so I add about 3 tablespoons.)

Using a wok or deep pan heat the vegetable oil on medium-high heat and add the carrots, peppers and jalapenos. Saute the veggies until slightly soft. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (until fragrant.) Add the sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and molasses and reduce heat to medium. Bring to a boil and reduce mixture slightly (around 5 minutes.) Add the beef to the wok and toss the beef well so that it is fully coated. Cook for an additional few minutes.

I've found that this recipe works best for me. The beef has a nice light but crispy batter and the sauce is to my liking. Give it a try.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #93
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Food discussions need pictures.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #94
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

WRMMH is Aaron Rodgers being Aaron Rodgers and watching one of the wackiest football games I have seen in ages and ages. Woooo!
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #95
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Just booked the first golf trips for the winter. Scottsdale for a week in December. Tucson for a week in November.

Thank the good lord for AZ.
#Canadianwinterssuck
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #96
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry I called dibs on it like 4 years ago he'll never get rid of it, he'd be nuts too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #97
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today, I joined the first world and went for my first dentist appointment since 1984 when my mom left me at a dentist's office on 17th ave not to return until 7 years later when I went to college. I've been sans dentist since except for one day in 1992 when José of José's Dental Works in Phoenix, took out my wisdom teeth for $200. The deal was I could only use freezing and had to let his assistant do the pulling. Afterwards I went rock climbing at Queen Creek high af on 1992 strength oxy. I spat blood on the way up and all the other climbers thought I was cool. Climbing high, though fun, did not seem sustainable.

And not a single cavity today. Not even a full cleaning required. I had to replace one filling from the '80's but no big deal. My new dentist is going to try to figure out who my dentist was in 1984. She knows a news reporter and thinks it might make a good story if we can find the guy. I remember him being more traumatized than me. The moral here being they do not make fillings like they used to and always use an electric toothbrush.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #98
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I took my 9 year old boy to his first MMA class. He loved it. We’ll see if it lasts but it made me happy to watch him.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #99
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

my little guy (he's 3) lost it this morning.... usually this would NOT mmh.... however, he had a good reason.... i put his breakfast on a paw patrol plate and not on his calgary flames plate (like he wanted).

that makes me sooooo happy!!

and yes... we absolutely went and got his flames plate out of the cupboard for breakfast!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #100
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's Talk Like a Pirate Day! That makes me happy, ye scurvy dogs!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote