Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #201
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
A better response would have been to provide the penalty numbers instead of asking for someone else to do it.
Why is it weird to ask the guy posting a bunch of stats, who seems to have them at his fingertips, to post more stats?

I'm not trying to refute him, but his conclusion was:

Quote:
Not hard to argue that playing a bunch of time with Tkachuk, Backlund and Lindholm rather than Jankowski, Rieder, and Rinaldo can more than explain the difference in points.
Well, now do penalty minutes to find out why one guy gets icetime with tkachuk backlund and lindholm and the other guy gets it with janko reider and rinaldo.

If you're going to point to opportunity to say Bennett would produce as much as mangiapane, maybe it's worth investigating why one guy gets opportunity and the other guy doesn't?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #202
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Why is it weird to ask the guy posting a bunch of stats, who seems to have them at his fingertips, to post more stats?
I guess it depends on how you ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Now do penalties.
The above is easy to misinterpret as something other than a question.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:07 PM   #203
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
This.
This site would be better with more posters like Scorp.
Do you really want to spend that much more time merging threads with sureloss though?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #204
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Do you really want to spend that much more time merging threads with sureloss though?
Hahaha
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #205
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I really do need to stop trying that.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #206
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You are certainly right when it comes to penalty differential. Bennett is first in taking penalties / 60, and Mangiapane is first in 2nd in drawing penalties / 60

Bennett has certainly had a history of taking minor penalties ... honestly I think less so this year than others when it comes to the bad stick penalties in the offensive zone etc, but there are no numbers to back that up.

They are different players though. You don't want Bennett playing a non physical game so penalties are going to come at a greater rate.

But why ignore everything else he said with a cheaky response?
The frustrating thing about penalties as a stat is that there are so many penalties that all players get away with every game. Look no further than the game where Gaudreau broke his wrist for an idea of how arbitrary these calls are and how much they depend on the mood of an official. Meanwhile this season alone Bennett has been dinged for:

- Skating beside a goalie and not touching him
- A legal stick lift
- A textbook hit (twice I think, actually)

I also think it's telling that as a rookie he had a +13 penalty differential and this coincided with our most competent coach, and then last year he has a -1 penalty differential and this coincided with our second-most competent coach. He's had his worst penalty differentials under our two least competent coaches. It's almost as if penalties have to do with what the coaches are telling the players to do. This has tended to be true across the board, not just specific to the player.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-18-2020 at 09:31 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #207
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is the Flames Rodney Dangerfield. Doesnt get respect. Hes actually been playing great hockey and nope, still gets pooped on from a chunk of fans. Pretty stupid actually.

I honestly think if he gets bumped back down when Ryan comes back I want him traded for his sake
Because he clearly will never find more ice time here.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #208
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
This.
This site would be better with more posters like Scorp.
Maybe if people could actually register here, you might get them too.

That said, there is a difference between enthusiasm - which I've never once criticized Scorp for - and trying to pass ones self off as some sort of insider using already widely known information in the attempt to build credibility. The last thing the internet needs is another wannabe Eklund. That schtick got old a decade ago. It's more fun when he just sticks to trying to beat Sureloss to the punch.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:23 PM   #209
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Wannabe Eklund? Well there's a reason they call me THE5CORPION!

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:56 PM   #210
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Bennett is the Flames Rodney Dangerfield. Doesnt get respect. Hes actually been playing great hockey and nope, still gets pooped on from a chunk of fans. Pretty stupid actually.

I honestly think if he gets bumped back down when Ryan comes back I want him traded for his sake
Because he clearly will never find more ice time here.
I see your point, but who is a better centre among these players: Monahan, Backlund, Lindholm, Ryan, Bennett?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:59 PM   #211
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The frustrating thing about penalties as a stat is that there are so many penalties that all players get away with every game. Look no further than the game where Gaudreau broke his wrist for an idea of how arbitrary these calls are and how much they depend on the mood of an official. Meanwhile this season alone Bennett has been dinged for:

- Skating beside a goalie and not touching him
- A legal stick lift
- A textbook hit (twice I think, actually)

I also think it's telling that as a rookie he had a +13 penalty differential and this coincided with our most competent coach, and then last year he has a -1 penalty differential and this coincided with our second-most competent coach. He's had his worst penalty differentials under our two least competent coaches. It's almost as if penalties have to do with what the coaches are telling the players to do. This has tended to be true across the board, not just specific to the player.
I dislike looking at penalty totals for this reason. I like looking at the calls. Bennett used to get a bunch of offensive zone holding and hooking penalties, which meant he was behind the play and reaching. He now gets more penalties (deserved or not) because of exuberance. Hard hits that border on roughing/charging, etc. Ones that he gets away with in the POs.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #212
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yes the "working to confirm" one was a misstep but I like Scorp's enthusiasm. As an older fan that's been beat down by decades of supporting mediocre/bad franchises there's something nice about seeing younger posters that haven't had their spirits broken go about their business discussing hockey. I don't know if he gets inside information or not but he seems to be putting in a lot of effort, conducts himself well, not getting into arguments or picking on other posters. We shouldn't be ridiculing or chasing away posters like this IMO.
Came to post almost the exact same thing. Let him immerse himself, it helps the site. He can take a friendly jab too.

Plus, once he actually becomes an NHL insider he will know where it all started and tip us off on trades.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote