Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #3441
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They have a speed test in their app but DL speed is more than enough, give destiny 2 a shot its free
I have noticed recently the free version has longer than normal wait times. Word is getting out I think. With the price of founders its worth it just for a backup IMO.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #3442
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Control is great. Has some performance issues on last generation, play on current gen if possible.
I played it on PS4 and I agree. When things gets completely nuts (ie: fight with 6+ NPC in a large area and you're shooting and throwing things), the frame rate drops, but never freezes. I think I would run into a bad frame rate drop issue like this maybe only a few times per hour I played it.

I think they patched it though and it should run a bit better on last gen.

The thing that kinda bugs me though and IMO is worth knowing before you play, the first like 2-3 hours is pure story and game play wise is pretty much tutorial while you unlock your "basic" skill set. If you want pure game play, rush the first few hours and then read the docs later. If you want to enjoy the story, then take your time during the unofficial tutorial.

Playing control also made me watch a ton of those infographics show videos about the supernatural. It's just, hilariously weird and awesome.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #3443
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Anyone play Star Wars: Squadrons on non-VR? Is it good? I have heard it is more flight simulator than air combat.

Any reviews?

Picked up a cheap NHL21. It sucks. Do not buy. It is basically a roster update. So not worth it.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #3444
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Control was one of my favourite games I played this year on PC. Such a cool vibe to it - I still need to wrap up some of the DLC too.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #3445
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've played about 4 hours of Cyberpunk on the Series X and I almost feel wrong about enjoying it as much as I am.

After reading all of the terrible things about the game, I'm surprised how well the game is running on the Series X. It is definitely a last gen looking game and I had to fiddle with the HDR settings to make it look okay, but the frame rate is solid and I haven't had any immersion breaking bugs yet.

I'm really having fun with it, but if you can wait I would still recommend it. As of right now, this is a good game. If the next gen version gets released with all the bugs cleared up, updated visuals, ray tracing, etc it will be a great game.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #3446
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I've played about 4 hours of Cyberpunk on the Series X and I almost feel wrong about enjoying it as much as I am.

After reading all of the terrible things about the game, I'm surprised how well the game is running on the Series X. It is definitely a last gen looking game and I had to fiddle with the HDR settings to make it look okay, but the frame rate is solid and I haven't had any immersion breaking bugs yet.

I'm really having fun with it, but if you can wait I would still recommend it. As of right now, this is a good game. If the next gen version gets released with all the bugs cleared up, updated visuals, ray tracing, etc it will be a great game.
Honestly, same. Playing on the PS5 and while I've gotten used to random bugs like an NPC doing the jesus pose, or making one last death roll a few seconds after I've put them down, or the one time where someone held a shard and it randomly turned into a gun so they ended up putting a gun into their neck, outside of that the game has been entirely enjoyable. I'm loving every second of it now, spending more time exploring and doing side quests instead of just rolling through the main quest line.

I think it's already a great game. I hope it gets the polish and fixes it needs to remove the minor distractions on better systems, and give last gen players an opportunity to experience just how great it is.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 12-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #3447
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so conflicted. I have an Xbox copy of Cyberpunk and I really want to play it but I also want to wait for the more polished next-gen version for the full experience. Problem is that I have a feeling that won't be out until mid-2021. Not sure if I can hold out that long.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #3448
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm so conflicted. I have an Xbox copy of Cyberpunk and I really want to play it but I also want to wait for the more polished next-gen version for the full experience. Problem is that I have a feeling that won't be out until mid-2021. Not sure if I can hold out that long.
I was in the same boat as you and just bit the bullet eventually. The bugs will be fixed eventually (hopefully most of them by February) I have no concerns about that. CD has a solid track record of improving their games and providing free content updates.

In reality this probably shouldn't have been released on previous gen systems. I don't think it will ever be viable there. If you have a Series X I say go for it. It is still quite fun and I'm enjoying the story so far. If you find the muddy visuals or bugs too distracting you can always drop out and just wait for the next gen patch. I will probably play through it again once that hits.

Another point to make- for people that loved the Witcher I think they might be a bit disappointed in Cyberpunk as the RPG elements don't seem that necessary, at least not yet. I'm pretty sure you could get through basically most of the game without crafting or hacking if you wanted to.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #3449
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Good call. I noticed that the game was pretty 'silent' compared to other games. I might have to change my options, as I've always like the musical soundtrack in the AC games.
Yeah man, it's deff worth it, I think Kyd (and company) did a good job with it. I'm so glad he's finally back, after doing all those classic tracks for AC2. I don't know why they don't just have ambient music automatically set to "high" to begin with..but at least they give you the option.

Also side note on Valhalla, they just released another patch yesterday (1.1). Perhaps my eyes are being influenced by knowing its a new patch, but I swear the lighting looks a lot better now.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-17-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #3450
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, Cyberpunk delisted from PSN. Crazy.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #3451
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Wow, Cyberpunk delisted from PSN. Crazy.
That's pretty nuts. For such a high profile game, and one that most likely cost a lot of money to produce, to get delisted is a big deal.

Double crazy that the game was originally planned for the PS4 and Xbox.

I wonder if CDPR just cuts bait here and abandons the PS4 and XBox versions and just focuses on the PS4 Pro and PS5 and XBox One X and Series X.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:17 PM   #3452
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for Sony...there should be some standards
Old 12-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #3453
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Good for Sony...there should be some standards
It’s much more likely that Sony did it in response to CDPR asking them to change their bull#%^* no refund policy, and in response Sony just yanked the game off the store because they were pissed at CDPR because their earlier statement telling customers that they could get refunds exposed Sony’s garbage no-refund policy.

Sony’s customer support and refund policy is utter garbage and needs to be updated to what Steam/Microsoft/Epic provide their customers.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 12:03 AM   #3454
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It’s much more likely that Sony did it in response to CDPR asking them to change their bull#%^* no refund policy, and in response Sony just yanked the game off the store because they were pissed at CDPR because their earlier statement telling customers that they could get refunds exposed Sony’s garbage no-refund policy.

Sony’s customer support and refund policy is utter garbage and needs to be updated to what Steam/Microsoft/Epic provide their customers.

Yep you are 100% correct.

Also, Sony lets tons of half baked games onto the PSN. They will certify anything including Cyberpunk. This is on them too
Old 12-18-2020, 12:18 AM   #3455
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

And honestly this is kind of a #### thing to do for PS5 owners who now could not buy the game if they wanted to. I already have it, so what do I care, but knowing how it runs on the PS5 from experience there is literally zero reason to pull this game.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 04:32 AM   #3456
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
And honestly this is kind of a #### thing to do for PS5 owners who now could not buy the game if they wanted to. I already have it, so what do I care, but knowing how it runs on the PS5 from experience there is literally zero reason to pull this game.
IMHO This is a two headed monster. One is that it exposes their awful policy on returns. The second is that Microsoft had a marketing deal with CDPR. The latter might just be in my own thought process, but I do wonder if it’s a factor in this decision.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #3457
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Keanu might suffer from diminished royalties
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #3458
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not arguing for Sony but what is a good refund policy on software that has been played? What is the definition of faulty?

I get this is an extreme example but what about other games?

I get the Sony bashing but honestly what is a solid benchmark to use that will work everyday?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #3459
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe after how buggy and unplayable Witcher 3 was at launch that people would even bother with Cyberpunk until at least 4 months after release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #3460
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I can't believe after how buggy and unplayable Witcher 3 was at launch that people would even bother with Cyberpunk until at least 4 months after release.
Agreed. I'm taking it a step further and delaying the purchase of the new XBOX too, been burned too many times in the past by Microsoft and Sony with crappy early version consoles. Never forget the Red Ring of Death, and I cant even remember the issue with the PS2, but I know I got at least 2 replacements.

And really, these are the least impressive new consoles launched in console history. Usually the difference between last gen and new gen is mind blowing, and I can't wait to get my hands on one, not the case here, for me at least. Not to mention the lack of next-gen launch titles.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote