Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers New seating structure & ticket prices for Heat games

So this is directed more at those who are in and around the Fraser Valley that are interested in going to Heat games, but this is pretty big news regardless.

Ryan Walter has changed everything around ticket-wise from the previous three years including the seating structure.

Here's the seating chart and ticket information: http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/ViewAr...RIBER_CONTENT=

Understanding that people don't come to the games, Ryan Walter lowered the ticket prices quite substantially. In previous years, I believe the lowest season tickets you could get were about $600 and that was for sitting around the very top rim of the arena (good seats, but the worst in the arena). Now, the cheapest season tickets are $425.50 to sit behind either the Heat goalie or the Heat scoring end. Half-season tickets for the same seats are a mere $250. That's very impressive.

I haven't been able to afford to get season tickets because I've been a student, but realistically, it's hard not to get at least half-season tickets for that price.

The most expensive seats are at centre ice and are only $1184 whereas before I believe they were nearly $2000 if not slightly more.

Anyways, way to go Ryan Walter! I really really hope these new ticket prices bring in some people. If people don't buy tickets at these prices, the Heat might as well relocate.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

From everything I have read, I really am impressed by Ryan Walter. The Heat seem to be in excellent hands ... hopefully more people will come to the games now, the team deserves it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It'll be nice to see the attendance figure move up from the bottom of the league. Team stability would be great for the Flames, the heat, the fans, and the city of Abbotsford.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

SEEMS like everything accept for attendance is working well in Abbotsford.

Ryan Walter, Troy Ward and these young men (Akim Aliu) realizing they are in a good place...I wish Calgary was closer for me to attend any of these games but am grateful we have a handful of CPers that CAN attend and continue updating us all.

Keith
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I don't know if this is going to work. If the playoffs couldn't bring in the big numbers, how will lower ticket prices?

It would be like the Oilers putting the Barons in Okotoks, and dropping the prices for Flames fans to come watch. I wouldn't even consider it just based on the team. Abbotsford is thick and through Canuck country.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't know if this is going to work. If the playoffs couldn't bring in the big numbers, how will lower ticket prices?

It would be like the Oilers putting the Barons in Okotoks, and dropping the prices for Flames fans to come watch. I wouldn't even consider it just based on the team. Abbotsford is thick and through Canuck country.
To be fair, AHL playoff attendance decreased up to 20% from regular season attendance. This trend applied to what we saw in Abbotsford as well. While it is concerning for Ryan Walter and the Heat organization, it's not a unique situation to the Heat.

In Ryan Walter's post-season presser he mentioned that this summer he'd be meeting with the other 29 AHL Presidents and will be discussing this odd playoff trend.

As for the Heat being in Canucks country, there's no doubt that it is the primary reason attendance is low. That, and Abbotsford's a pretty boring city in that there's very little, if any, night life unfortunately.

However, there are cases in which rival teams have been successful in other rival teams' regions. For example, the Chicago Wolves organization was worried about how being affiliated with the Canucks would affect attendance; it turns out it didn't. Hamilton (Montreal's farm team), on average, gathers around 4,800 per night and they're heavily in Maple Leafs country. I'm assuming St. John's is pretty traditionalist in their team preference, so I would guess the majority of the fans there are either Montreal or Toronto fans, yet they came out in droves to support a Winnipeg affiliated team.

Like Ryan Walter suggested, they need to build the team "brand" as a Fraser Valley team. IMO, they made a HUGE mistake by calling them the Abbotsford Heat. Rather, they should have been called the Fraser Valley Heat as it's more encompassing to area, not just one city. By establishing the Heat "brand," the goal is to make affiliation a non-factor to new Heat attendees.

Yet, it's easier said than done. That's why I'm pretty happy that Walter is the president.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Most minor league experience attendance decreases from the regular season to the playoffs. Generally, teams give away fewer tickets and offer fewer ticket deals. Not to mention that you are asking people to pay more on to attend games that will be planned at the last minute. That also impacts how much time the team has to sell tickets. It is a major reason why the Calgary Hitmen sell 38-game season ticket packs instead of 36. They include the first two playoff home games to drive up attendance and make their own lives easier.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat , ryan walter , seating , tickets