Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #61
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
If you think analog coax gives as good signal as digital ethernet I have some land in new jersey to sell you.

One of the first fixes a tech will do if the install quality is bad is switch from coax to Ethernet cable.
I really think you should do some reading and understand HPNA and ethernet over coax.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #62
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
I like Optic, but the thing that sucks is I live in a building right downtown, and only get 1HD channel... I would have figured downtown buildings would all have the higher services.

What do you mean - 1hd channel? Does this mean if I am watching an HD channel, I cannot record another HD channel at the same time?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #63
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
What do you mean - 1hd channel? Does this mean if I am watching an HD channel, I cannot record another HD channel at the same time?
It all depends on the bandwidth available to your house.

In some areas, yes - you can only watch one HD channel and not record another.

Where I am, I have 3 HD and 1 SD streams, so I can watch 1 HD and record 2 more.

If you call into Telus, (please make sure you don't talk to theonlywhiteout), they'll be able to tell you what you qualify for.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #64
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
If you call into Telus, (please make sure you don't talk to theonlywhiteout), they'll be able to tell you what you qualify for.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #65
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

With Optik is it still essentially a DSL technology to the home? Or is it a fibre to the home setup? On the site it says 5 to 25Mbit. Is this dependent on distance (i.e. DSL)?

And I assume the Internet and TV connections are separate from each other.. i.e. if I'm watching TV it's not going to slow down my Internet is it?
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #66
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
I didnt know there way such a thing as analog coax... I thought it was just a medium to transmit a signal.
yes I probably didn't put that as I wanted. Coaxial cable is notoriously bad for signal quality for telus tv. Not something I'm making up it's just a fact of life. If you had to choose between coax to the tv or ethernet you would always choose ethernet with all things being equal.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #67
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah it's ethernet so the quality should either be exactly the same as a cat5 line, or if it's dropping packets, then the video will drop out and stutter.

I'd never thought of a coax-ethernet adapter, even if I don't do Optik this might be useful.

Do you know if they have service out in Chestermere?
i can confirm that Optik is in Chestermere, the reason that the availability tool on their website doesn't work is because Telus lists us as Chestermere Lake for the official city name. i had to deal with a dunce of a Telus agent for a good 10 minutes trying to confirm where i live (actually had to get her to pull up a google map and look beside Calgary). i live in a condo building and was quoted the Optik Turbo internet service (which i would assume would let you record 2 HD streams) so hopefully in a town this small the network would be all the same
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #68
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
With Optik is it still essentially a DSL technology to the home? Or is it a fibre to the home setup? On the site it says 5 to 25Mbit. Is this dependent on distance (i.e. DSL)?

And I assume the Internet and TV connections are separate from each other.. i.e. if I'm watching TV it's not going to slow down my Internet is it?
Yes, Optik TV is IPTV (TV over DSL)
In some cases yes, there is FTTH, but for the most part there is fibre to the node.

Distance and cable gauge will be the determining factors of what kind of bandwidth you can get.

TV will use bandwidth, but you wont notice any real slow downs while surfing.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #69
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking of making the switch here. Anyone live in Sunnyside and have Telus DSL who can relate any speed anecdotes?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #70
MaxPower
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just moved into condo near downtown and would much prefer Optik over Shaw. The website says that it's not available in my building and a Telus rep could only tell me that it was coming to my building "in 2011".

Is there any way to get a better idea of when it might be available (PsnaP)?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #71
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
I really think you should do some reading and understand HPNA and ethernet over coax.
I don't really need to do reading as I deal with it quite often. Yes, if your coax is perfect you may get reliable connection and signal. But that's the thing about coax, it's rarely perfect. Ethernet can be wrapped around furniture, twisted, even have the outside case damaged... it will work great.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #72
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i can confirm that Optik is in Chestermere, the reason that the availability tool on their website doesn't work is because Telus lists us as Chestermere Lake for the official city name. i had to deal with a dunce of a Telus agent for a good 10 minutes trying to confirm where i live (actually had to get her to pull up a google map and look beside Calgary). i live in a condo building and was quoted the Optik Turbo internet service (which i would assume would let you record 2 HD streams) so hopefully in a town this small the network would be all the same
Another confirmation from my sister in Rainbow Falls. She's getting Optik TV and internet this weekend.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #73
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
I don't really need to do reading as I deal with it quite often. Yes, if your coax is perfect you may get reliable connection and signal. But that's the thing about coax, it's rarely perfect. Ethernet can be wrapped around furniture, twisted, even have the outside case damaged... it will work great.
Dealing with it and understanding it are two very different things. Listen to PsnaP, he is obviously a field tech or something very similar with Telus and knows exactly what he is talking about.

There is a step in the install where the installer will test the coax. If it passes, the ends will be changed out and the signal/picture will be exactly the same as it would be with CAT5 - it is ethernet over coax which means that data is transmitted over the copper wire, not a traditional TV signal which I think is what you are confusing it with.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #74
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone have information on what kind of channel bundles there are on Telus?

Kind of disappointed by the answer to Vlad's question about HBO.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #75
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Does anyone have information on what kind of channel bundles there are on Telus?

Kind of disappointed by the answer to Vlad's question about HBO.
http://www.telus.com/content/tv/opti...ming/index.jsp
Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #76
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Channel bundles RGMG - oops wrong thread. Considering I only want 3 or 4 extra channels, but have to order a "bundle" for each of them...
OK, I just noticed that Telus doesn't seem to carry HD Net - this is going to be a problem, as I need my MMA programming. Any reason why no HD Net? Any plans to add it?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #77
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Channel bundles RGMG - oops wrong thread. Considering I only want 3 or 4 extra channels, but have to order a "bundle" for each of them...
OK, I just noticed that Telus doesn't seem to carry HD Net - this is going to be a problem, as I need my MMA programming. Any reason why no HD Net? Any plans to add it?
I don't miss Shaw, but I miss HDNet and NFL Network

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #78
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I don't miss Shaw, but I miss HDNet and NFL Network
In all seriousness, Telus reps, this could be a deal-breaker. I only watch HBO, HD Net and sports (plus AMC when Mad Men is on) - not sure I can write-off a large portion of my viewing options...

Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #79
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

No NFL network is definately something I will need to consider come March/April.

Booo.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #80
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Are we really still arguing over cat5 and coax??

PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote