Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #1941
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Also, ain't no one fitting two cars in a 20x20 inner city garage.
Which as noted earlier, if you have two cars, one in the garage, one on the street it will cost you exactly $0.

Quote:
If the street in front of your home has a permit-only parking restriction, you are required to have a permit in order to park on that street. This requires you to register your vehicle with the city so that it won't be ticketed by the automatic enforcement vehicles. Currently, the resident of any home that is adjacent to such a road can register up to 2 vehicles for free. You can also get one visitor permit for free that can be used by anyone visiting you for a short period of time. It currently costs a little over $100 every two years to register any additional resident vehicles beyond the free 2.

Starting in 2023 (unless something else changes before then), there will be a small fee to register vehicles in this system. Each resident will still be able to register one vehicle for free, but any additional vehicles and visitor permits will cost $15 per year to register.
If you want to park both on the street I'm sure you can find $15 per year digging through your old jacket pockets and couch cushions.

Last edited by Torture; 07-14-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:01 PM   #1942
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
If you want to park both on the street I'm sure you can find $15 per year digging through your old jacket pockets and couch cushions.
The only thing in my couch cushions is goldfish crackers, lego pieces, and remotes. What now, smart man??
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #1943
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
The only thing in my couch cushions is goldfish crackers, lego pieces, and remotes. What now, smart man??
If you can't get a few bucks for those on Facebook Marketplace the only other options to come up with that kind of money would be to raid your retirement savings or remortgage the house.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #1944
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The race in Ward 8 looks pretty interesting.

I could see myself looking into Gary Bobrovitz, Monique Auffrey, Courtney Walcott, or Natalie Winkler. A quick glance at candidate websites and none of the other ones really looked all that interesting to me. Those are the four I'll probably follow closely.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #1945
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post

I could see myself looking into Gary Bobrovitz, Monique Auffrey, Courtney Walcott, or Natalie Winkler. A quick glance at candidate websites and none of the other ones really looked all that interesting to me. Those are the four I'll probably follow closely.
It is nice that you have some choices. I am in Ward 1 and we now have 2 candidates to pick from because Sutherland left the race (I wasn't going to vote for him anyways.) I assume that because Sutherland was in the race it kept many potential candidates away. I don't know if the nomination period is closed but if it is not we might a get a few more candidates
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #1946
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

I'm leaning towards Monique but it's still up in the air. I like Bobrobitz's platform but it's pretty general so I'd like to hear how he would implement it. I've seen him around Mission so at least he lives in the area.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #1947
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine Ward 1 will get a few more candidates now that Sutherland has announced he doesn't plan to run again. The nomination deadline is September 20th at noon. Looking at the current list of candidates, it certainly seems that there is an opportunity there.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #1948
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Where exactly is this "noted earlier in this discussion"?
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=1883
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:02 PM   #1949
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Also, ain't no one fitting two cars in a 20x20 inner city garage.
Speak for yourself! Every July I have to find a way to get all strollers, wagons, bikes etc off the floor and then I can squeeze both cars in if it hails. Mind you, there’s not enough room to open doors and I have to go through the trunk and fold all mirrors in and it’s completely impractical and unusable for day to day life, but since this crowd seems to think parking on the street is some sort of bougie elitist privilege (don’t even start on actually owning and using two cars), seems like I better buck up and teach the kids how to crawl in through the trunk.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #1950
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Speak for yourself! Every July I have to find a way to get all strollers, wagons, bikes etc off the floor and then I can squeeze both cars in if it hails. Mind you, there’s not enough room to open doors and I have to go through the trunk and fold all mirrors in and it’s completely impractical and unusable for day to day life, but since this crowd seems to think parking on the street is some sort of bougie elitist privilege (don’t even start on actually owning and using two cars), seems like I better buck up and teach the kids how to crawl in through the trunk.
Time for a minivan. You'll have those big sliding doors through which you can easily get in and out. You just need one without a big center console up front. No more crawling in through the rear hatch and over all the seats.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #1951
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
So I ask again, where does it say four-unit rowhouses won't have minimum parking requirements?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #1952
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Alberta Transportation has a $468M operating expense, on top of ~$1.4B/year in capital projects.
The 2021 Fiscal Plan indicates that capital spending on roads will be about $800M/year with about $500M/year for maintenance and repair over the next three years.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/6f47...an-2021-24.pdf

City of Calgary capital spending on roads is expected to total about $705M for 2020-2024 (though the last two years are tiny). Operating costs of roads are about $130M/year.

https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...20Schedule.pdf

While Cities generally don't have the power to tax fuel directly, the Government of Canada fuel revenues (about $1B collected in Alberta) generally are transferred back to Cities. It could be easily argued that the drivers of Calgary collectively pay in fuel taxes an amount that covers the costs of building and maintaining the roads of Calgary.

And if you divide the costs of roads by the passenger-trips, passenger-km and freight-tonne km that they carry, roads are extremely cheap for Governments because users pay for most of the capital and operating costs themselves.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #1953
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It’s a really important riding and needs someone with a strong voice.

I haven’t looked at all of them but did take a look at winkler after seeing her signs everywhere in elbow park. She seems smart but is clearly on the anti-development/density side - specifically and perhaps only in rich neighborhoods

Last edited by Cappy; 07-14-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #1954
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Okay, so call it $1.3B instead of $1.4B on top of the $468M in operating for Transportation.

Alberta's take from federal fuel tax revenue payback is $255M for 2021-22. So if it's distributed on a per capita basis, Calgary would be looking at ~$80M of that.

https://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/alt...-fte-AB-EN.pdf
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #1955
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is my first year living in Ward 2, anything I should know about these candidates? I browsed their websites and basically am pretty disappointed in all of them, Wyness my pick on first impressions I guess but even that is lukewarm
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #1956
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh, ward 2.

Yes at this stage it's probably Wyness. She almost - almost ,- unseated joe at the last election.

Sigh, Joe.

Kim ...I can't remember her name...used to still does? works in Michelle Temple's office.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #1957
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

You know what would be funny?

If the province downloaded costs onto the city, making it unappealing to be a city councillor.

If, as a result, several councillors decline to run for re-election.

If, simultaneously, the Manning Centre is on a mission to make Calgary city council conservative.

If ambitious young conservatives see the vacancies and Manning Centre support as an opportunity to be seized.

If the "UCP farm team" and the Manning Centre backing them get torched by the same provincial policies that created the vacancies they filled in the first place.

That would be funny.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #1958
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not the Manning Centre anymore. It's the, uh, elegantly named "Canada Strong and Free Network". Are they doing TV shows now? Running an ISP? I'm confused.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #1959
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Manning Center for Canadians Who Wanna be Strong and Free and Who Wanna Do Other Stuff Good Too
Old 07-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #1960
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I imagine Ward 1 will get a few more candidates now that Sutherland has announced he doesn't plan to run again. The nomination deadline is September 20th at noon. Looking at the current list of candidates, it certainly seems that there is an opportunity there.
Here you go, Sonya Sharp announced today. Small world, I've known her since Grade 7. However I'm not sure what her political views are like, I've just looked over her website.

https://sonyasharp.ca/

https://twitter.com/user/status/1417900439668891648
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat