Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #1041
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Oh god. Go check the pre season poll on standings. you stop with your revisionism.
Pre season standings were based on the Jets players under preforming last year. Same coach, same culture, same players....people expected the same thing.

But there is no doubt that they have the talent and players to be a top end team.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #1042
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh god. Go check the pre season poll on standings. you stop with your revisionism.
I don’t care what some random polls you are talking about say. The Jets have been a very good team on paper for years and have underperformed immensely. They shouldn’t of been in the lottery for Laine.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #1043
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bahahahahaha
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #1044
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Love it!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #1045
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

*shrug* Does anyone else find it lame that one player can determine the outcome of a game almost by himself?
Old 05-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #1046
Zach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Love seeing Vegas in it. One of the best teams all year
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #1047
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The analyst on sportsnet is right. VGK creating turnovers in the offensive zone creates fast strike offense - with little time to defend. Quick pass, quick shot and a goal.

Great hockey to watch. Full credit to the Knights. This is going to be a great final. Two entertaining teams.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #1048
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

GOOD. Very good.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #1049
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the hype WPG was getting about their depth and awesome style of play I thought for sure the Jets were gonna push through in 6 or 7. Not get ousted in a short 5 game series.

Vegas is just far too opportunistic as a counter punch team backed by bonafide cup calibre goaltending. without Fleury they'd be somehwere other than where they are right now.

But holy cow. What a great story. Pro sports history can be made in the next two weeks.

5 to finish a confrence finals as an expansion team. Impressive, most impressive.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #1050
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
*shrug* Does anyone else find it lame that one player can determine the outcome of a game almost by himself?
This is kind of vague. Whom are you referring to?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #1051
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Given the hype WPG was getting about their depth and awesome style of play I thought for sure the Jets were gonna push through in 6 or 7. Not get ousted in a short 5 game series.

Vegas is just far too opportunistic as a counter punch team backed by bonafide cup calibre goaltending. without Fleury they'd be somehwere other than where they are right now.

But holy cow. What a great story. Pro sports history can be made in the next two weeks.

5 to finish a confrence finals as an expansion team. Impressive, most impressive.
jets win game one then lose four straight. Crazy.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #1052
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
This is kind of vague. Whom are you referring to?
lol. hahahaa. oh man i needed some levity after that loss. thanks for that.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #1053
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nope.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #1054
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure not a one of us ever pissed and moaned about "One player" when that was Miikka for us.....
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #1055
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
now that is an interesting revisionist history

would Flames fans have traded Tkachuk+ for Fleury?
No, maybe a Bennett would've been just perfect!
CSharp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #1056
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/998325210842447872
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #1057
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact of the matter is that the Jets didnt get blown out, it was a tight series that was determined on the slimmest of margins.

Fleury was better. Not by much, they both played well, but that slight margin was important.

If anything, I have to credit Vegas for a relentless forecheck that seemed to put Winnipeg on their heels and keep them there.

Despite Vegas winning 4 straight to kill the Jets it wasnt as lopsided as it seemed. Despite it being over in 5, it was a tight, close series.

I found them more or less even but Vegas got the superior goaltending and that drive, that chip on their shoulder provided the necessary motivation to just push them over the top against Winnipeg.

Winnipeg had a good run, are they going to be conference finalists for years to come? Probably not, but thats the cyclical nature of sports.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #1058
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Winnipeg was very impressive, no question about it. I think in the end the other goalie was better and Winnipeg was missing a veteran or two in the end.

One thing about Fleury and Vegas, a goalie eventually runs into mental fatigue but when you win series in 4, 6, and 5 games it really helps. Now that i think of it there were two examples; Roy in 1993 and Jonathon Quick in 2012 were able to hold on to the end, both benefited from shorter series in the earlier rounds.

Both those teams did not have a lot of stars up front and relied on timely scoring and great goaltending.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #1059
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Pretty sure not a one of us ever pissed and moaned about "One player" when that was Miikka for us.....
You're right. Back then I was fine watching a sport that revolves so heavily around one player in one position. But now I'm starting to see it differently. It just seems lame. FTR no, I don't care if it the Jets losing or Vegas winning or whatever, it just seems lame that one team's talent and scoring prowess can be completely nullified by one player on the other team. Hockey is supposed to be a team sport, but the more I watch the more it becomes apparent to me that goaltending is almost the sole key to success.

Perhaps a simple solution to this would be to increase the size of the nets, but I'm well aware that it's not likely to happen...
Old 05-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #1060
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Winnipeg was very impressive, no question about it. I think in the end the other goalie was better and Winnipeg was missing a veteran or two in the end.

One thing about Fleury and Vegas, a goalie eventually runs into mental fatigue but when you win series in 4, 6, and 5 games it really helps. Now that i think of it there were two examples; Roy in 1993 and Jonathon Quick in 2012 were able to hold on to the end, both benefited from shorter series in the earlier rounds.

Both those teams did not have a lot of stars up front and relied on timely scoring and great goaltending.
Yes and no. You're right about the fatigue, but at the same time Fleury had a relatively short regular season which should help keep him fresh, but I think you're discounting the adrenaline effect of winning and again, the 'Us against the World' mentality that they have that has been working and successful.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elvis , knight up , pumpkin time , white out