Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #1221
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Should MAF or Engelland hoist the Cup?

MAF is their MVP, but Engelland is a beauty and it kinda seems like he's the de facto captain.
Stamkos
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #1222
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Could be an interesting off season for the Jets. they have 9 forwards under contract and 4 defensemen and 1 goalie. That would place their cap hit heading into the offseason at 54 million, so it the cap does jump to 80 that leaves them with 26 million dollars.

Upcoming RFA's

Tanev (925,000), Armia (925), Lowry (1,125), Trouba (3.308), Morrisey (863), Hellenuyk (667).

UFA's Stastny, Matthais, Hendricks, Enstrom, Hutchinson.

I'd say that next year has to be the go for it year because, the wall approaches after that

RFA's Copp, Laine, Conner, UFA's Wheeler, Myer's, Chabot and Mason.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #1223
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

They won't be able to keep Stastny and will probably be happy to seen Enstrom go. I can't see them being able to afford Wheeler if he comes close to repeating this season's production with all the RFA's due for raises. I suppose the only bad thing about being such a good drafting team is that the cost of the young talent escalates greatly. Jets will likely have to be a cap ceiling team to keep the roster together. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) the Jets are in the top half of team revenues so I wonder if ticket price increases are in the future.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #1224
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) the Jets are in the top half of team revenues so I wonder if ticket price increases are in the future.
I’d be shocked if they didn’t raise ticket prices after a run to the conference finals, regardless of their cap situation.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #1225
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they dump Perrault and then likely will be fine cap wise.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #1226
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think they dump Perrault and then likely will be fine cap wise.
Which cap, though? Historically speaking the Jets have never spent to the cap for the obvious reasons presented by limitations of their very small building. In some seasons this has resulted in Jets ticket prices being among the top-five or even top-three in the entire league for rosters that were between $5–12 m under the salary cap.

Like I said, it seems that Winnipeg will likely become a cap-team for the first time in their short history, but how will that affect ticket prices and fan support in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #1227
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) the Jets are in the top half of team revenues so I wonder if ticket price increases are in the future.
The Jets were 24/30 teams in revenue for 2016–17, and ninth in average ticket prices. They operated with a payroll of $66.6 m—the fourth-lowest in the league at $6.37 m below the cap.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #1228
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They were 17th in 2016-017 in terms of gate, In terms of overall revenue they were 26th, and in terms of operating income. they were 16th. By median ticket prices the Jets were 7th.

So in terms of revenue streams in a building that size that sold out, they're going to struggle a bit going forward. They're already charging a pretty high premium for tickets, but not generating a ton of revenue.

I would argue that unless they massively increase their ticket prices that there's no way that they could hit an 80 million dollar cap.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #1229
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet they would like at least a few more suites and another 1k seats to be able to sell. The city is too small for an 18k arena but 16.5k would have probably been perfect.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #1230
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Fluery’s been amazing but this Knights team was winning games with their 4th string goalie. They beat the Jets because they are flat out a better team. Their response to goals against throughout the playoffs has been incredible. A complete 180 to how the 17/18 Flames reacted to goals against.

Fleury was awesome but he is not the sole reason they have been great, he was missing for a decent chunk of the season and the Knights were still winning. This is an amazing hard working team and for some posters to say it was solely because of Fleury is ludacrious.
A lot of people on this board always pointing at the goalie as the pivotal position when there's the whole team in front to account for wins. Without any goals being produced, no matter how many goals the goalie has blocked, the team that outscores the opponent is still the team that wins. The Vegas Knights have proven as a team that they relentless on their forechecking along the boards. It's amazing how they can turn up ice so fast - and most of the scoring is done 5-on-5. The series against the Sharks, the Vegas Knights' powerplay looked horrendous at the beginning but looked better as the series wore on. I've never seen a team do as well on 5-on-5 as the Knight have in all of the playoffs this season. Yeah, Fleury has made some really good saves to keep the opposition scoring low, however, you have to give full credit to the defence for clearing out the front so that the goalie can see most of the shots. Also credit the offence when they keep scoring within minutes after being scored upon. Which other team consistently do that in the playoffs let alone doing this consistently during regular season games?

As well, Suban played well when called upon. Basically, before anyone comments on the goalies, maybe watch the games rather than base it on highlight of amazing saves and comments from news reporters saying how the goalie was the difference.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #1231
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
They won't be able to keep Stastny and will probably be happy to seen Enstrom go. I can't see them being able to afford Wheeler if he comes close to repeating this season's production with all the RFA's due for raises. I suppose the only bad thing about being such a good drafting team is that the cost of the young talent escalates greatly. Jets will likely have to be a cap ceiling team to keep the roster together. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) the Jets are in the top half of team revenues so I wonder if ticket price increases are in the future.
Having cap issues because of outstanding team or player performance is a problem i wish the Flames had. I'm sure the Jets will figure out a way to keep their core players happy.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #1232
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Having cap issues because of outstanding team or player performance is a problem i wish the Flames had. I'm sure the Jets will figure out a way to keep their core players happy.
But that is precisely the problem you are missing here: Winnipeg is NOT like other NHL markets in large part owing to their very small, 15,000-seat venue. The team has survived thus far by way of an internal cap amounting to less than $5.0 m of the annual salary cap at minimum. They may figure it out, but it will cost them.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2018, 06:16 PM   #1233
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The one good thing is long playoff runs are a god send to any team. There's a reason why owners will mortgage so much for a 3 or 4 home playoff games at over a $1mil each as that's enough to pay a year of a bigger contract on the team.

Text is likely still right about the Jets though, as one run isn't likely to make them comfortable enough to commit to an extra $5mil a year for many years.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #1234
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The one good thing is long playoff runs are a god send to any team. There's a reason why owners will mortgage so much for a 3 or 4 home playoff games at over a $1mil each as that's enough to pay a year of a bigger contract on the team.

Text is likely still right about the Jets though, as one run isn't likely to make them comfortable enough to commit to an extra $5mil a year for many years.
Did the Jets sell tickets for fans to stand outside the MTS Centre for the playoffs like the Oilers did last year?

Quote:
Old 05-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #1235
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Did the Jets sell tickets for fans to stand outside the MTS Centre for the playoffs like the Oilers did last year?
I doubt it, nobody is quite as Oilers as the Oilers.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #1236
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Lol they did
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #1237
jayswin

Exp:

Actually?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #1238
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Actually?
My mistake!! Looked it up and they were free but people were reselling them.

My apologies.

Last edited by Toonage; 05-22-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #1239
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You only had to pay to be inside the arena but not get a seat.

Being outside was free.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #1240
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You only had to pay to be inside the arena but not get a seat.

Being outside was free.
You didn't get a view of the ice either, did you? You just got to stand on the concourse and watch the game on tv.

Tags
elvis , knight up , pumpkin time , white out