Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #2661
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
How would they be costing themselves hundreds of millions of dollars if they sold the Flames for hundred of millions of dollars to an interested party willing to have the team play in Seattle? Sounds like they would make out like bandits. The Flames owners don't own the Flames to make money, you don't really think they would remain the owners of the team if they moved out of town do you?
If they moved the buyer would have to pay the relocation fee, which pretty much automatically lowers any bid. If prospective buyers know the Flames owners want to sell, they're going to get lowballed obviously. And if they wanna remain owners and move, the relocation fee again cuts into their pockets, plus going from #1 sports choice in a hockey mad market to at best #5 sports choice in a somewhat unknown hockey market (assuming Seattle)...obviously that's not increasing the bottom line.

But all kind of a moot point to me. Unless the Flames owners are CalgaryNEXT or bust, or unless it's the Edmonton deal for an arena only or they move/sell, they'll get a new arena in Vic Park, and most of the comments by King and Burke will be footnotes in a pretty standard negotiation, at least for these things.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #2662
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
What meltdown? The laughter at the Flames owners costing themselves hundreds of millions of dollars to move to a worse market? It'll be absolutely hilarious to most of us.
Yup, you'd be laughing all right. Laughing without a NHL team and not another one on the horizon. How exactly would the ownership lose hundreds of millions of dollars? And what makes Calgary a better market than Seattle anyway? I'd imagine the owners would love to get a 35% boost just from the dollar alone. I think you are grossly underestimating the Seattle market and over-estimating the Calgary market.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #2663
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
I see the dam irony there, Quebec is a burden on Canada and Alberta, I always wonder what is the point of having Quebec as Province, it is just a waste and resource sucking place.
Off topic to the thread, and while I can certainly understand people's frustration towards QC politicians and the equalization system, these things do not constitute the entirety of an area or its residents.

Replace Quebec with any other group and you'll see how xenophobic/bigoted this comment is. Painting an entire province with the same brush is pretty offensive and small-minded in my opinion. But what should I expect from an Albertan (see what I did there!)

On another note, KK and the Flames owners have quickly eaten up much of the good will the organization has built over decades. Love the Flames, but they leave and I wouldn't shed a tear. Hold the line Nenshi!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #2664
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good grief, is there anyone in charge of media relations over at the dome?

Burke reintegrated what king said, and king shoes some backpedalling.....get on the same page guys
Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #2665
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Imagine the irony of Quebec stealing the Flames from Alberta after years and years of receiving provincial equalization payments to support their have not status and tax burdens. The same pool of funds in which they used to build a 100% taxpayer funded new arena for themselves in Quebec city.
LOL, what?

That's not how Equalization works. This is a really bad trope that keeps being trotted out.

Your inferred contention that Alberta taxpayers paid for the Videotron Centre are insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #2666
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised this part hasn't come up yet.

Quote:
The higher taxation rates in Canada are also unfair for NHL players on Canadian teams. Burke said he believes athletes should be eligible for some sort of tax break.

"These guys make big money but they have short careers," Burke said. "If you're a doctor, you might make a good living for 45 years.… We're going to have to figure out how to tax the athletes equitably for the Canadian teams to be able to compete.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...next-1.4150420

So what is he trying to do, become the villain of the organization here? We know he's a smart guy. This is something a stupid person says. What's the angle here?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #2667
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
LOL, what?

That's not how Equalization works. This is a really bad trope that keeps being trotted out.

Your inferred contention that Alberta taxpayers paid for the Videotron Centre are insane.
I already admitted I don't know the granularity of how it works. Just weird how Quebec receives 11 Billion this year, but has the money to fund their arena. How come they cant put that 500 million towards other social benefits that the equalization is supposed to be for.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #2668
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I already admitted I don't know the granularity of how it works. Just weird how Quebec receives 11 Billion this year, but has the money to fund their arena. How come they cant put that 500 million towards other social benefits that the equalization is supposed to be for.
I don't know. How about you start a thread on it or look it up?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #2669
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Very sneaky by the Flames trying the good cop/ bad cop scenario. So scripted.
Exactly. I can't believe how many people think that King was throwing him under the bus, or however you want to colour it.

Burke has the reputation of shooting from the hip. So he goes out and says things a little more aggressively than King can. Then King can say 'he is not the official spokesperson'.

So it gets said but the Flames didn't officially say it. Pretty straight-forward IMO.

Doesn't matter whether you agree with what Burke said, he got a message out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #2670
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
why
Not hard to figure out. Some posters on here are in it simply for the drama and the stirring of the pot, nothing more.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #2671
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
This argument should probably go to another thread. Equalization is federal money. It's not one province cutting a cheque to another. Anyway, Videotron Centre is mostly a municipal/provincial initiative.

QC may get another NHL team, but it won't the relocated Flames.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #2672
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
What meltdown? The laughter at the Flames owners costing themselves hundreds of millions of dollars to move to a worse market? It'll be absolutely hilarious to most of us.
First of all, I think there is virtually no chance that the Flames are moving.

But your assertion that the owners would be costing themselves hundreds of millions of dollars by doing so is what is hilarious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #2673
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

So what is he trying to do, become the villain of the organization here? We know he's a smart guy. This is something a stupid person says. What's the angle here?
This has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read on this site. As soon as Gaudreau saves somebody's life I'll be sure to be at his side helping him get a tax break. Until then I'll continue to believe players are grossly overpaid and a huge part of the broken business model nik was talking about in terms of the cost / value ratio.

Burke is so out of touch it's beyond comprehension. He sounds like basically just an idiot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #2674
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames should start bearing their teeth with the mayor. Either he sees the economic value with the Flames or he doesn't. But they should start pushing that button. To date Nenshi has copped out entirely saying it is up to the Flames, everytime the subject of concerts comes up he ducks it, everytime the subject of new arena comes up he ducks it. Saying we havnt been approached. BS total BS. When clearly the Flames have talked to mayor several times. He has said in the past the Flames have economic value but his actions are proving otherwise.
We have an interesting situation Owners that do not want to foot the entire bill and a Mayor that feels the city should not pay a dime outside of street/area infrastucture. The estimated numbers have changed over the past 2 years. To me it seems to be the Flames are willing to foot about 60%???
But the Mayor better realize contributing 0% or less than 10% of the building itself is not going to fly.
This is just my opinion but I feel the Flames should put up 70% , the province and city should put up the rest.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 06-07-2017 at 08:15 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stay Golden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #2675
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames moving to Quebec City, and you take him seriously? The guy is doing his best troll job to stir the pot.

I'll one up you Brian. How about Flames are moving to Saskatoon!? They could totally do it...like for reals. All that corporate money. In Saskatoon Potash Corp can own 20 suites and that uranium outfit can own the other 20, and Brad Wall can have one, oh and 2 for that corner gas guy.

Just like In Quebec, Bombadier can own 30, Quebecor can own 10, the mob can own 10.

So many options so little time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #2676
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
First of all, I think there is virtually no chance that the Flames are moving.

But your assertion that the owners would be costing themselves hundreds of millions of dollars by doing so is what is hilarious.
They would be costing themselves hundreds of millions in lost potential profit over several years.
There's no way Seattle's or Quebec's market would come close to Calgary's.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #2677
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
They would be costing themselves hundreds of millions in lost potential profit over several years.
There's no way Seattle's or Quebec's market would come close to Calgary's.
Two things:

1) a sweet arena deal can go a long way to covering any difference in gate revenues between Calgary and Quebec, and

2) By selling, they realize their value in the team and can re-invest the money anywhere.

They would not lose anything, never mind hundreds of millions of dollars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #2678
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

They can't save a nest egg? Also they are unemployable able bodied men at age 35 or 40? Huh?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #2679
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmmmmm all the Keynesian left wingers have now become tax payer advocates?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #2680
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
The Flames should start bearing their teeth with the mayor. Either he sees the economic value with the Flames or he doesn't. But they should start pushing that button. To date Nenshi has copped out entirely saying it is up to the Flames, everytime the subject of concerts comes up he ducks it, everytime the subject of new arena comes up he ducks it. Saying we havnt been approached. BS total BS. When clearly the Flames have talked to mayor several times. He has said in the past the Flames have economic value but his actions are proving otherwise.
We have an interesting situation Owners that do not want to foot the entire bill and a Mayor that feels the city should not pay a dime outside of street/area infrastucture. The estimated numbers have changed over the past 2 years. To me it seems to be the Flames are willing to foot about 60%???
But the Mayor better realize contributing 0% or less than 10% of the building itself is not going to fly.
This is just my opinion but I feel the Flames should put up 70% , the province and city should put up the rest.
Edit - not signalling SG out specifically, as others have also focused on Nenshi... but I'm not exactly sure why people put Nenshi at the epicenter of their ire?

Sure he has been vocal about his feelings about CalgaryNext, but has been pretty reasonable in suggesting that the Flames organization should present and alternative solution and how taxpayers would benefit from public monies going into a private corporation.

Secondly, every council member has an equal vote...

Nenshi's vote counts as one, but also as the tie breaker - if it is required. There are 14 other votes aside from Nenshi's vote - If the calculus is as skewed as what Burke suggests with his “I think most intelligent people get this.” comment, then convincing the majority of councilors in office to put public money into a new area should be a piece of cake right?

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 06-07-2017 at 08:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread