Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2024, 12:40 PM   #101
Knut

Exp:

In California ADHD is considered a Disability (which is should be FYI). If you have a child with Diagnosed ADHD you can get them a Disability Pass. It operates essentially the same as a Genie+ but doesn't cost you anything.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 12:48 PM   #102
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just on the stroller aspect, maybe consider a very small, cheap umbrella stroller instead of a bigger stroller you might currently use. While the notion the your older kid might benefit from standing on the platform and being pushed around seems nice a larger stroller means more effort for you guys and it makes navigating the crowds much more difficult. I'd recommend as small and maneuverable as possible. When we had young kids we had a typical big ass stroller for the city (ie. zoo, mall, grocery store, parks, etc) and an umbrella stroller for traveling and using in crowded situations like at the Stampede Grounds or Lilac Festival, etc.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 01:06 PM   #103
RandyHolt
Draft Pick

We went recently with kids who were 3 and almost 6 and ended up using two strollers. A bigger umbrella stroller (still pretty small) for the oldest and we bought a tiny Disney one for the youngest for like $50. We used them to get the kids to and from the park, as well as when we were switching sections and it was a long walk. Then we'd just park the bigger one in a new area and the oldest would walk from there for a couple hours. It saved a lot of steps and let us stay out longer.

Other tips:
- Put something that's easily viewable on any stroller you take because they're difficult to spot with how many there are. Something that glows it usually helpful
- Genie plus was great, especially for rides like Astro Blaster and Spiderman that the whole family can do together or in two cars
- If your kids are up for it, the kids rides really clear out at night after the fireworks. A lot of them don't have Genie plus but you can go on them over and over after 8 or 9pm
- The newest star wars ride is incredible and shouldn't be missed
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RandyHolt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 01:27 PM   #104
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Few follow up questions, for mobile ordering you mean you can pick like a restaurant in the park and order something on the go then head in that direction? Or do you still need a reservation to even order?

For the stroller you picked up did you just buy that at the park when you got there? And there are just spots all over to park the stroller and it doesn't go missing? Obviously not leaving wallets in there or anything. But like the Disney employees themselves don't move stuff around?
Old 01-26-2024, 01:34 PM   #105
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Few follow up questions, for mobile ordering you mean you can pick like a restaurant in the park and order something on the go then head in that direction? Or do you still need a reservation to even order?

For the stroller you picked up did you just buy that at the park when you got there? And there are just spots all over to park the stroller and it doesn't go missing? Obviously not leaving wallets in there or anything. But like the Disney employees themselves don't move stuff around?

Yes the mobile order allows you to order ahead at any of the restaurants and just pick up at your assigned time. Honestly I didn't use it much, I found the time the app said the order would be ready was often an hour or more and the food lines weren't really that bad. Might depend on where you are eating and when though, and if you plan ahead it could work well.

Also the food places in the Star Wars area have surprisingly good food.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 01:39 PM   #106
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They have designated stroller parking areas across the park and when they don't you'll still always find a pack of strollers parked outside of the ride lines.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #107
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, we just planned ahead if we knew what part of the park we’d be in. And you can push the window back if you’re later than you had planned. There were a couple of times that the food lines were super backed up and we’d just go grab our food and be on our way.

For the stroller, we rented one for $75 for the week. I’d have to ask my wife who it was through, but it was very simple and they dropped it off/picked it up from the hotel for us.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 02:15 PM   #108
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone stayed at Paradise Pier at Disneyland?

Has anyone bothered with the Disney credit card to build up their disney dollars or whatever leading up to the trip? Seems like it probably earns at the same rate as any actual cash back card.

As for the Pier hotel being far away, it is a hike for sure, but my understanding is that it is only a few minutes away from DCA with even it's own hotel guests entrance?

We were planning 2 days at Disneyland and 2 at DCA just because with the kids we know will move slow and have to retreat mid day.

Good tips about the little ones for ride requirements. We have kind of planned on doing some divide and conquer. Like while the little one is doing the Boutique that would be the day I lightning pass the bigger rides that my older one can actually do. I have heard that the ride share or line swap or whatever it is works pretty good for being able to take turns on a ride?

We stayed at PP when it still was Paradise Pier and its fine, nothing crazy and preferred the other two onsite options. Now however they did some updating to the place so I would think everything would be in good condition and a better spashpad/pool for younger kids. The PP Hotel does now have a new entrance into California Adventure. It is a very good way to get in and out of DCA as it is just in behind the Grand California hotel close to some of the smaller rides in DCA (not the same entrance as the Grand California one).

Are you set on staying onsite? If so, you should consider renting DVC points to either stay at the new Disneyland hotel villas or even at the Grand Californian. I don't know your dates but you can save some money or get a better hotel. We've rented our points through a canadian company called David's DVC.

For example: Lets put a July 11-14 Trip Date

Booking direct with Disney
Pixar Place Standard Room= $1860 USD
Grand Californian Standard Room = $3281
Disneyland Hotel Standard Room = $2362

Renting Points from David's DVC
Grand Californian Standard Studio = $1890
Disneyland Hotel Villa Standard Studio = $1575

Something to think about for sure and if you have time I would consider renting points instead of booking direct. If you have any other questions on the points side let me know as we have DVC points (timeshare points). We don't go to DL very much as it is very hard to get rooms if you don't already have the DL resorts as your home resort.

The rider switch is a great option to hit up some bigger rides while you have little ones staying back with the other adult. Not all rides have this but you just just talk with a CM and show them your family and they will give the other adult a pass to jump in the LL line when your first ride is over. We had good luck with the rider switch in that lots of CM let our older daughter ride again with the other adult, so they got to ride it twice in the LL.

There are stroller parking around lots of the rides. The CM will move your stroller if you put it in a wrong area or just to clean up the stroller parking, so don't be alarmed as this happens.

I wouldn't worry about the age thing. What I've noticed over the years we've done Disney with our family is that they become different type trips. Those memories of our 2-4 ages meeting characters was awesome and something as an adult I won't ever forget even if they kids don't remember. Now that the kids are older and doing more rides they get excited everytime we book and can't wait to go back. These trips are their "core" memories as well not just ours.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 02:56 PM   #109
RandyHolt
Draft Pick

I think we just bought the stroller either at the stroller rental or one of the gift shops. It was a flimsy little stroller so depending how big your youngest is it might not be enough.

The mobile ordering worked well, but if they prepare your food and you forget about it they toss it after 15 minutes and you get to pay for it a second time...

There's stroller parking in every area and by most rides, but they will sometimes move the strollers around to reorganize them, or if you have it in an area and they need to move it for a parade or show. This is why having something on it is useful. We also left stuff in the bottom of our stroller all the time and nothing ever went missing but none of it was valuable anyway.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RandyHolt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 04:36 PM   #110
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ok even more great advice thanks again. Initially the dates we were looking at were November 1-11. However now I realize the election is in that time span and might be a bad time to be down there as the country revolts against whichever side wins.

Or a great time because the park would be less busy as people are in their home states voting... ?

We're planning to land in LA and do Universal first for a few days. My oldest is a die hard Harry Potter fan, and they have Mario Land as well now. Then drive down to Anaheim for the remaining 5-6 days at DL/DCA. I am purposely putting extra days in there as either recovery/pool days or just my flight got bumped and now our trip is shorter days that seems to be a lot more normal post covid. Actually just happened to a friend of mine who had to turn their 9 day trip into 7 because of flight delays.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:48 PM   #111
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nov is a great time to go. Revel at the weaklings wearing parkas, mittens and toques during the day.

Don't go Dec 31. Busiest day of the year.
Jan 1 is the quietest day of the year. (or at least used to be. Who knows anymore).
Old 01-26-2024, 05:12 PM   #112
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I believe the first week of December is now considered the “slowest” time of year. Biggest recommendation for timing is to trying to do the parks on weekdays and stay the hell away on weekends. Our last day in Anaheim was a Saturday and we decided to walk over to downtown Disney to grab a coffee and snag some photos. The lineup for security was completely insane compared to the weekdays we went.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:47 PM   #113
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have time, consider doing Legoland as well. It is pretty cool and the rides are good for younger kids. The hotel is really cool and they have a nice pool.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:54 PM   #114
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

One other thing avoid the US thanksgiving week. Every other week is dead in November but that one. And you need reservations to get into parks now so don’t forget to do that after buying tickets.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 09:26 AM   #115
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heading to Disneyland with two kids ages 4 and 6 in mid February. I’ll be on my own. What’s the weather like there in February? Any obvious advice I may be missing? I’ve read about the stroller part so I’ll bring mine. The hotel is very close to the park entrance. How big will the lineups be in the morning to get in? I also heard buying Disney gift cards here works out to be a bit cheaper than using a credit card daily there
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:46 AM   #116
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Stab Yourself In The Eye Booth does not take gift cards. Cash only.

On the plus side the weather will be typical SoCal 21 degrees so no rain to wash away your torment from dragging children around a temple of fake wonder. Only stabbing yourself in the eye can end that suffering. Blunt sticks are now available for $5 extra.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:06 PM   #117
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Heading to Disneyland with two kids ages 4 and 6 in mid February. I’ll be on my own. What’s the weather like there in February? Any obvious advice I may be missing? I’ve read about the stroller part so I’ll bring mine. The hotel is very close to the park entrance. How big will the lineups be in the morning to get in? I also heard buying Disney gift cards here works out to be a bit cheaper than using a credit card daily there
For those taking your own strollers just make sure they are compliant with all the measurements that Disneyland has. And someone else said it, but yah, make sure you put something unique on it so you can find it.

As for lines, we “roped dropped” each of our days and we had very minimal line ups for security and to get in the park. However, we were there the first week of December on weekdays and each day was a 5 or 6 out of 10 on the busy scale. We went at about 9ish on our last day just to go to downtown Disney and the security line was over 20 minutes, so going early pays off for sure.
Old 01-27-2024, 03:16 PM   #118
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I highly recommend the Van ride from LAX to Anaheim.

One of the funniest rides I've ever experienced in my life.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:26 PM   #119
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My kids were excited to share their thoughts on rides, so here you go from the minds of a 3 and 5 year old:

Disneyland
- both Star Wars rides were amazing and that whole area is pretty mind blowing (keep in mind, I’m pretty anti-Disney and not a huge Star Wars fan).
- Adventureland: I thought Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise was pretty lame, but everyone else loved them. Pirates was a big hit. Nobody loved the Winnie the Pooh ride, but there is usually no line anyways.
- Fantasyland: kids loved pretty much all the rides and we just did whatever ride had the smallest wait time.
- Toon Town was pretty lame all around, but features the most strollers you will ever see in one spot in the universe. It was insane. Runaway Railway was actually really good, but the Roger Rabbit ride was pretty lame and always has a long line for some reason.
- Tomorrowland: Star Tours, Astro Blasters and Autopia were all great, but the Finding Nemo submarine was super lame.
DCA
- Cars Land is pretty amazing all around. Kids loved all the rides.
- Pixar Pier: other than Midway Mania the rides are pretty mediocre. The Ferris Wheel and Silly Swings were pretty cool at night though. We rode on the little mermaid ride soooooo many times.
- No rides there, but San Fransokyo square was really cool.
- Soarin was a favorite ride for everyone.
- Avengers Campus is super cool and Web Slingers was a favorite ride for everyone.
- Kids loved the Monsters Inc ride too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 06:35 PM   #120
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I highly recommend the Van ride from LAX to Anaheim.

One of the funniest rides I've ever experienced in my life.
IMO if you're going to Disneyland you should fly to Orange County Airport (SNA).

Westjet flies directly from YYC. It's way easier to get, bags and ground transportation, and way closer to Disneyland. Then it's like 75% less hassle departing as well.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote