Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you want Jagr in Calgary on a 1yr reasonable deal?
Yes 671 85.15%
No 117 14.85%
Voters: 788. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #21
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

You feel like something has to happen. With how prudent and aggressive Treliving has been lately improving the team for what we sense is a limited window of opportunity, to just sit on a few million dollars of cap space this season makes no sense.

Bennett first, then a UFA.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #22
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
This isn't the first time I've heard of a possible link between the Flames and Jagr, and man it would make me so happy if this came to fruition.
Was the other instance also a time we all heard it too?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Was the other instance also a time we all heard it too?
No. There have been some folks on /r/CalgaryFlames who supposedly have connections inside the Flames' organization, plus Eklund brought it up too at one point. It's not nothing, even if it isn't much more than that. That and his connection to Gulutzan would make it unsurprising if this ultimately happened.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He's done, he's slow, plays zero defense and looks like he could care less about winning really
How much less?

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I wonder if there is a chance they are waiting to get Bennett signed and see what they have left.
That is the feeling I have. The Flames need to get Bennett signed as well as Kulak and Wotherspoon and they are done with their RFA's.

Treliving has hinted throughout the summer that he is not done yet. Jagr or Iggy could be targets and I am sure he has talked to both players.

I was in the pro Iggy camp but I am starting to think Jagr should be the target. Jagr could be a fit on the top line or could be an amazing player to pair with Bennett. Jagr really helped a young Giroux, and Barkov become better players so it could work for Bennett?

I think if he signs Jagr Treliving will be right up there with Nill as the best summer

Jagr
Hamonic
Smith
Foo

Vs

Radulov
Methot
Bishop
Hanzal
Old 08-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #26
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yeah the likely 4 or 5 of them at home, He's done, he's slow, plays zero defense and looks like he could care less about winning really, for him it shouldn't be about the money but I suspect it is, please stay away and give the job to a youngster
Based on what? Can't be his play, because he still put up decent points, and he drives possession as good as any Flame forward not on the 3M line.

The guy would be a good winger for Bennett, considering he actually has some skill unlike most of the guys Bennett played with last year.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #27
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Iginla purely for sentimental reasons but between him and Jagr, I have to admit that Jagr would likely produce more and also help his linemates produce more.

I do have concerns about Jagr's lack of speed, but realize that he's never been a fast player and it's been never held him back before. His size, strength and ability to create space really helps counter his slow foot speed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #28
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hearing Gulutzan glow about Jagr's mentality made me want this guy one our team just from a "Bennett needs to watch and emulate this belief" perspective.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 08-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #29
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I, too, think Bennett's contract is the holdup. Adding Jagr is a no-brainer. Fits real well on both the Monahan line and the Bennett line.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
Old 08-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #30
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hope this wouldn't impede Jankowski's opportunity to make the team
Old 08-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #31
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Hope this wouldn't impede Jankowski's opportunity to make the team
Why would a RW block Jankowski from making the team?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #32
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why would a RW block Jankowski from making the team?
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Versteeg - Bennett - (Jagr)
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer
Familton

Where else is there room?

Is Lazar going to sit after we just paid a second for him? Infact, I'm not sure it would really help maximize on Lazar's potential by plugging him on the 4th line, but whatever.

I doubt Gully breaks from the 3M line and he already said how that RW spot next to Gaudreauhan is Ferland's to lose.

Versteeg built great chemistry playing on Bennett's LW and I doubt management is going to sit Brouwer or Stajan with those contracts.

Where does Jankowski fit in?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #33
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How is GG connected to jagr?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #34
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrader View Post
How is GG connected to jagr?
Coached him in Dallas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #35
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dallas
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #36
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jagr makes a lot of sense on the top line. He's by far the best option available for RW.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 PM   #37
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Versteeg - Bennett - (Jagr)
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer
Familton

Where else is there room?

Is Lazar going to sit after we just paid a second for him? Infact, I'm not sure it would really help maximize on Lazar's potential by plugging him on the 4th line, but whatever.

I doubt Gully breaks from the 3M line and he already said how that RW spot next to Gaudreauhan is Ferland's to lose.

Versteeg built great chemistry playing on Bennett's LW and I doubt management is going to sit Brouwer or Stajan with those contracts.

Where does Jankowski fit in?
Any of the spots highlighted, maybe higher who knows. Treliving might have spent a 2nd round on Lazar but Jankowski was selected as a first round pick, neither matters both will have to earn their spot.

Also you're forgetting injuries. Every fanbase thinks they have an overflow of depth in August, then training camp starts. You wont get through it without at least two guys being hurt.

Double also, management doesn't sit contracts, coaches do. Wideman rode the pine for the vast majority of the stretch drive, those two guys aren't any different and will sit if need be.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #38
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Jagr makes a lot of sense on the top line. He's by far the best option available for RW.
I agree???!!?
Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 AM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He'd be fine on the top line actually. Based on his advanced stats, he isn't much of a liability despite being on the slower end of the spectrum. Can hold on to the puck and protect it well, and that prolonged zone time is something the top line could really benefit from. Johnny brings oodles of speed to balance it out. They need a guy that can make space and get that puck to Mony in the slot. Jagr could do that. Don't expect him to be any more than a 50 point producer even with those guys, but were talking about a line that was using a sub-30 point RW prior in Ferland, and he was considered a "good" option. That would make Jagr a great one in comparison. And he by no means needs to carry the line, just be a productive passenger that won't kill chances.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 12:43 AM   #40
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jagr > Ferland.

End of story.
Closed Thread