Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Its more tongue in cheek.Every business closing in Calgary seems to be because of minimum wage.
I dont see that, I've found that more businesses, especially smaller businesses in Calgary are struggling with the fact that while rental vacancies are skyrocketing most commerical rents arent being reduced, or are actually increasing, due to a significant increase in Property Taxes.

Its hard to make something work when Revenue goes down but Costs go up.

For a place like Lloyd's its not like they can just 'shop around' and find another location, theres brand loyalty, convenience, there are a lot of factors that would make a business like that a tough go.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #22
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lloyd's was owned by the original owner's (Lloyd) widow. She was getting pretty elderly so I'm guessing she just sold it off and the new owners are going to put something else there.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #23
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

When I was a kid I asked Santa for a white satin shirt so I had something cool to wear to Lloyd's with my friends. Santa left me hanging on that request. Thank God.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #24
Csquared
Draft Pick

They have been planning the closure for awhile. Not really sure if they were making money or not but has more to do with the family than financials. The closure actually may wind up being great for charities.
Csquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #25
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Relic on my grad in 1984.
Relic on my grad in 1976
Old 09-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #26
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

CP's reading comprehension skills in full effect. The Metro article states that the owner passed away as the reason for it closing.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #27
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the majority of posters or commenters on the net dont read what theyre commenting on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
CP's reading comprehension skills in full effect. The Metro article states that the owner passed away as the reason for it closing.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #28
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The article was edited and previously didn't have that information. So reading comprehension is just fine.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #29
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is sad news, I spent a lot of time there growing up.

I thought there had been a bit of a roller rink resurgence due to the rise in popularity of Roller Derby?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #30
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to have met her.

Quote:
COOPER, Florence Annie
December 19, 1921 - October 3, 2016
We, the remaining family, announce the peaceful passing of Florence "Flo" Cooper on October 3, 2016. May all her dear ones before her now be celebrating with her in Heaven. Her parents, Otto and Karine Johnson; siblings, Leonard, Evelyn, Doris and Aldo and also her beloved husband, Lloyd Walter Cooper. The core family circle is now complete. Flo was born on December 19, 1921 in the Water Glen District of Ponoka. She was the second youngest of five children and enjoyed her early years on the family farm. Flo moved to Calgary as a young woman, where she worked full time at Picardy's Restaurant and Bakery. She soon worked her way up to a mid-management position in Western Canada, becoming a consummate business woman who was decades ahead of her time. Flo was an independent woman with a positive attitude always keeping busy. Her love for performing was satisfied; dancing with a semi-professional trio, doing shows for conventions and high end hotels. As an athlete, she trained and competed in speed skating on ice. In 1962 she met the love of her life, Lloyd Walter Cooper and within a year she became his business partner in the planning, building, and managing of Lloyd's Rollercade; a source of pride and joy for both of them. Lloyd and Flo married in 1981 and enjoyed many years of working side by side at the Rollercade, travelling the world and entertaining family and friends. Flo Cooper was a loyal and loving wife, sister, aunt, friend and business associate. Her unending support of her husband Lloyd and the many peoples lives she touched both on a personal and business level is her greatest legacy. She has kept Lloyd's Rollercade and the recreation of indoor roller skating alive in the city of Calgary by refusing to sell what she and Lloyd had worked so hard together to establish. Flo also continued to contribute to the Alberta Children's Hospital and Calgary Health Regions Clinic for Mind-Body Medicine in Lloyd's memory as well as funding the largest privately funded Doctoral Scholarship in Integrated Health Care at the University of Calgary. A Memorial Service will be held at the Calgary Golf and Country Club (one block west of Elbow Drive on 50th Avenue S.W.) on Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 1:30 p.m. Condolences may be forwarded through www.mcinnisandholloway.com. If friends so desire, memorial tributes may be made directly to the Alberta Children's Hospital Foundation, 2888 Shaganappi Trail N.W., Calgary, AB T3B 6A8, Telephone: (403) 955-8818. In living memory of Flo Cooper, a tree will be planted at Fish Creek Provincial Park.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cal...?pid=181810959
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #31
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

The City should build a new rink. Oh wait... wrong thread. /s
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #32
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

And I feel a tinge of pain in the ribs I broke many years ago.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #33
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csquared View Post
They have been planning the closure for awhile. Not really sure if they were making money or not but has more to do with the family than financials. The closure actually may wind up being great for charities.
I've heard they're donating all the proceeds of the sale to charity.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #34
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned to rollerblade at Lloyd's...
Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #35
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You know, thinking about this more, its in Kingsland right? Isnt it right down the street from the Kingsland Community Association? If you're right and its a succession issue they should just take it over and run it communally.

If thats the issue and its (relatively) profitable but at least can pay its own bills it would be cool if the Community took it over and kept it operating.
The community could make some money running a bingo in there part time too. And/or partner with a not for profit that helps employable people find a part time job to get back into a normal routine after an illness or work experience, etc.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #36
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The article was edited since it was originally published and most people had commented.

Note the The OP posted that article at 12:34PM; the response from Lloyd's via their Facebook page was at 1:08PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Thats really a shame. Lloyd's is a Calgary Institution, think of all the charitable events, the Girl Guides/Boy Scouts and all of the kids birthday parties and every other random event they've hosted.

All gone.

Someone really should step up and run it. If it was a money-pit, thats one thing, but by all indications it could pay its own way so it isnt a terrible sacrifice.

It could still be put to good use.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #38
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If it was a money-pit, thats one thing, but by all indications it could pay its own way so it isnt a terrible sacrifice.
It really all depends. If it was paying its own way, but didn't have a mortgage because the land an building had been paid off decades ago, that changes things when it is sold and the land alone is worth a lot. Let's say it's worth $1 million, now you have to factor in an extra $3000 per month in mortgage payments.

Could be the tipping point between being slightly profitable, and being too risky of an investment.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #39
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Relic on my grad in 1976
My eldest sister got her first part time job there over 50 years ago.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestand View Post
My eldest sister got her first part time job there over 50 years ago.
Um joke concerning jobs and first and Lloyds.

Leave it at that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote