Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who are D 6 and 7? (order irrelevant)
Kulak Bartkowski 70 28.00%
Wotherspoon Bartkowski 17 6.80%
Kulak Wotherspoon 50 20.00%
Andersson Bartkowski 37 14.80%
Andersson Wotherspoon 24 9.60%
Andersson Kulak 45 18.00%
Other 7 2.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #41
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My take on the #6 and #7 spots is that Kulak and Wotherspoon are not prospects anymore. They have nothing left to learn in the AHL. Sitting in the press box for half the year is not going to harm their development.

There is no reason to keep Bartkowski around as press box fodder (unless you don't want him to ruin someone's development in Stockton, which is a valid worry)

Bartkowski needs some unconditional waivers, hopefully he plays for the States in the Olympics
Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #42
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be pretty sweet to graduate Kulak and Spoon. They have a few games to make their case. With Anderson, Valimaki and Killington coming, they had better hurry.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Roll with Kulak and Spoon. I don’t see Spoon as being much more than a 6/7 and he’s shown he’s there now, so graduate him to that role and let him learn how to stay prepared and be ready for game-time instead of playing every night in the AHL.

I think Andersson, Kylington, and Valimaki all project better than either guy, but more AHL/junior time in leading roles won’t hurt any of them when they should be looking at a future on the second or third pairing full time.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #44
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He is close to ready. And he has played well and earned a look and maybe even a game or two.

But the simple fact of the matter is that he needs to play, and there are other people to fill in the #6 role.

Plus, the Flames plan on competing this year, there is no room for developmental spots.

The best decision in every regard is to have Kylington get another year of seasoning and growing in the A.
Sounds like a send him down, and call him up mid year scenario. Maybe gets in 20-30 games.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #45
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yea originally I had Bartowski locked up on press box duty but he's been pretty bad and I agree with the sentiment a few people have shared suggesting we keep Kulak and Spoon up full time as 6/7.

At this point I don't think it's a big deal if one of them largely watches as they both project to be bottom pairing guys in all likelihood.

Bartowski did well in spots last year but just seems to make too many mistakes. Hopefully his time with the big team is done.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #46
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
With Janko likely making the team, there's no need for two "Owski's"
Well, if Freddie Hamilton doesn't make the team this year, we need to have a new brother act on the roster.

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the Kowski brothers: Bart and Jan!

…OK, I have just completely exhausted the list of reasons why Bartkowski should be in the NHL this October.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

okay, we need a Schmenky Brothers clip here
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #48
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on Gulutzans interview today before leaving for Winnipeg. I can't see any way where he isn't at least 7 if not 6. Interview was played early in the first hour of the fan 960 big show.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #49
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Based on Gulutzans interview today before leaving for Winnipeg. I can't see any way where he isn't at least 7 if not 6. Interview was played early in the first hour of the fan 960 big show.
More info ya tease?
Old 09-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #50
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
More info ya tease?
He got asked directly about Bart? To summarize:
1. Thinks that Bartkowkski has conducted himself as an NHL defenseman in games and in practice.

2. Really thought his first game was strong, second not as strong but reiterated that he has been good through practice.

3. Talked about familiarity.
FBI
Old 09-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #51
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Should be Kulak and Wotherspoon... I really hope Bartkowski isn't kept around, he'll end up as this years Grossmann.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #52
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
1. Thinks that Bartkowkski has conducted himself as an NHL defenseman in games and in practice.

2. Really thought his first game was strong, second not as strong but reiterated that he has been good through practice.

Good grief, GG.

Because being good through practice forgives everything else. Hate it when coaches stand up for players and abandon intellectual honesty because of familiarity.

Looking forward to a Grossman-like performance in game one that potentially costs us a good start.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:16 PM   #53
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Good grief, GG.

Because being good through practice forgives everything else. Hate it when coaches stand up for players and abandon intellectual honesty because of familiarity.

Looking forward to a Grossman-like performance in game one that potentially costs us a good start.
At worst he is eating popcorn. If is playing that means all the other Dmen competing crapped the bed once the more NHL ready lineups came together.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #54
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Bartkowski's stock has dropped. Kulak and Wotherspoon fill out the 6-7 spots.
bartkowski should get more flak for the mistakes he made in the Ducks series, sure there where goals that should have been saved, but he made some bad mistakes that led to those goals and he never took any #### for that.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Good grief, GG.

Good Grief, djsFlames.

Heaven forbid a coach would say positive things to the media when asked about a player... what do you want him to say? "Bart has been brutal - just a total piece of #### so far. Can't wait to send his sorry ass down to the minors!"

The things that fans get worked up about never ceases to amaze me.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #56
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ Actually, yes!

It would be ultra refreshing. And maybe, just maybe, the guy would get his act together.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #57
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As it stands I think they will pluck someone off waivers, I think Vegas will have better options they can't keep than the Flames have at their disposal.

Rasmus is the best player and I don't think they'll play him as a 5/6D on his wrong side or press box him. Makes no sense for him to be anywhere but the A.

Kulak and Bart have been terrible and have played their way out of the picture, though they still have time to correct. Wotherspoon has been ok.

As it stands my prediction would be:
waiver pickup-Wotherspoon
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #58
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What?

Bartkowski was atrocious in that game outside of scoring a late goal.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #59
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gag me. Hope he's just being nice as discussed above.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #60
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Hoping regardless of what Gulutzan's said in the media that someones ready to step it up enough that Bart sits and watches.

I get he was brought in because no one was ready last year before the playoffs.

I just don't know what Bart offers that isn't being shown by any of the guys on our depth chart.

Really really happy regardless that we can even have this discussion.

3 years ago things weren't like this. So much promise, depth and discussion about the future and not just about our defenceman.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote