Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #41
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
Thus far it appears most are impressed with Telus Optik... been having an on going discussion with my girlfriend regarding getting Shaw or Optik in my new house...

I have 1 TV, an Xbox, and play Starcraft... I watch sports, don't download torrents...

Since she also surfs CP, is Telus Optik a reasonable choice over Shaw or not?
If you are comfortable with a contract so you can get the discount pricing, then it is most certainly a good option. The product isn't nearly as bad as it was 2 + years ago. The quality of service drops as you have more feeds running. Like recording 2 programs in HD while watching a 3rd can lose you a solid 9 MBs on your internet speed. That is a pretty big chunk out of 15MBs if you ask me, especially if you game online. That means during those times (evenings) you would have 6 MBs down, compared to 15 on Shaw.

What I would do, is call Telus and figure out what you get as a bundle price on a 3yr contract for the services that you need. Then call Shaw and tell them if they match it you won't go over to Telus.

Last edited by Rathji; 09-16-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #42
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

What I would do, is call Telus and figure out what you get as a bundle price on a 3yr contract for the services that you need. Then call Shaw and tell them if they match it you won't go over to Telus.

I did this a few weeks ago on the advice of some friends.

I created myself a bundle on the Telus website. High Speed, phone with 200 LD minutes and the features, and the full TV package for around $133.

I quoted this price to Shaw and they transferred me to their retention queue. The retention rep was great and offered me: unlimited phone LD and features, the full TV package with HD minus the movie stations, and upgraded my Internet to the Extreme package. She offered me a free month, then 12 months at $85/m, then after that the rate jumps up to $130/month.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #43
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So after trying to call Shaw again and not having any success getting through to someone I decided to go ahead and make the switch.

I have no issues with Shaw whatsoever but the Telus PVR seems so much better, I can use the free XBOX as a digital box for one of my TV's, record shows from my phone or computer, record 3 shows at once, and now have way more space on the hard drive.

From what I've read about Optik internet is that if the phone box is not too far from your home you get better results. The green box that the technicians service every now and then is right on my front lawn.

I will have internet, TV and phone through Telus. Phone is $43 a month w/ 200 LD minutes. Internet is $37 a month for 2 years with the free XBOX 360 elite. TV is $94 a month, I chose the top tier package where you get main channels plus 9 them packs, and I got the extra entertainment which inlcudes HBO and Movie central.

I am currently paying about $200-$210 a month for Telus phone and Shaw TV and internet.

These prices don't factor in the discount I will get for the first 3 months.

Setup is scheduled for October 2nd so I will report back to see how Optik TV compares to Shaw. Have had the Shaw HD PVR for about 5 years now so it will take some getting use to.

Last edited by 8sPOT; 09-16-2010 at 06:35 PM.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #44
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I cut my cable at the beginning of summer and was expecting Shaw to be throwing offers my way, but none ever came. With hockey coming up I was going to concede earlier today and order from them but ran out of time. My wife brought the mail in 30 minutes ago with an offer from them for digital basic (all I want) for $14/month for 6 months. Toss on the sports pack and we have ourselves a deal!
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #45
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just realized I would be going from 1 hd pvr with shaw to 1 HD pvr with telus and 2 hd stb's because of the xbox situation. and PVR anywhere. Can someone tell me why not switch?

I do torrent but with shaw high speed I get 7 mbs tops anyways so I am used to 400 kb/s dling all ready. I don't really online game at all. I do stream media from my computer to my ps3 and now xbox's quite a bit.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #46
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish Telus bundled with mobility.

How does Optik work with the cell phone, is it an iphone app to let you set recordings?
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #47
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in an area where Optik can only do 1 HD show at a time right now (I used to live in a new condo where I could do 3 at once, but that was right when it came out). So that's something to look at, if your area can only do one HD at a time.

As for internet- I have a desktop machine, 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, ps3, wii that are all connected in varying states to the feed. Never really had a problem with anything unless we're recording a show, watching another, skyping and trying to d/l torrents.

If you can't wait 10 minutes for a torrent to download, and need it in 30 seconds, then I'm not sure any provider can satisfy you long-term.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #48
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I wish Telus bundled with mobility.

How does Optik work with the cell phone, is it an iphone app to let you set recordings?
yep free iphone app, have to set and account on the receiver first. it is kick ass though, easier to search programs than on the receiver too as you have the keyboard with your phone as opposed the using the remote on your tv!

have had optik since July 3 and love it! The pip guide is awesome too!
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #49
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I cut my cable at the beginning of summer and was expecting Shaw to be throwing offers my way, but none ever came. With hockey coming up I was going to concede earlier today and order from them but ran out of time. My wife brought the mail in 30 minutes ago with an offer from them for digital basic (all I want) for $14/month for 6 months. Toss on the sports pack and we have ourselves a deal!
Do you know how much it is for just the sports pack for Shaw? I don't watch any cable except for Flames games, and if possible I would like the cheapest HD option for Shaw as possible. I didn't think there was a sports pack you can purchase for Shaw with digital basic. I always assumed I would have to get at least the full cable package to get all the sports channels.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #50
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
yep free iphone app, have to set and account on the receiver first. it is kick ass though, easier to search programs than on the receiver too as you have the keyboard with your phone as opposed the using the remote on your tv!

have had optik since July 3 and love it! The pip guide is awesome too!
The iPhone app is the best thing since sliced bread. Instant access to the guide and recording/deleting options on your PVR. The one thing I wished it had was push notifications for shows about to start. I sometimes get busy around the house and I lose track of the time. A push notification a few minutes before the Stamps or Flames game starts would be awesome.

One more major feature that would put Optik TV aver the top would be PC access. Since the platform is based off of Microsoft Windows Media Center I would think it would be a trivial thing to allow Media Center on the PC to act as another terminal. If they can make the Xbox a terminal then they should make the PC a terminal as well. Being able to watch shows on your iPhone/iPad would be another awesome feature, however I think that idea would be far more difficult to implement than PC access.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #51
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Do you know how much it is for just the sports pack for Shaw? I don't watch any cable except for Flames games, and if possible I would like the cheapest HD option for Shaw as possible. I didn't think there was a sports pack you can purchase for Shaw with digital basic. I always assumed I would have to get at least the full cable package to get all the sports channels.
No you can get basic and add on the full sports package for $8/month. I'm hoping I can add just sportsnet west and sportsnet one for $4, but sportsnet one may require the full $8 sports add-on

Linky --> http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ngPackages.htm
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #52
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I went to telus to get set up. And aparently I need to wait for a flyer to come in the mail and to cancel my roomates telephone line
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #53
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After reading this thread with great interest, I called Shaw similar to others. I said I had a call from Telus offering a great new deal - and I was considering canceling because of the dramatic change in cost. I said Telus had offered me $110 dollars per month for the complete Telus TV line, plus their fastest internet etc.

With Shaw, I had the HD+, 7 premium channels, and their full digital package, plus Extreme download, and Basic Phone. It was costing me 168 dollars per month - and after speaking to the rep had it drop to $92 dollars per month for the next 18 months before the price will go up again. Strongly suggest everyone to do it if you have been with Shaw longer than say a year or two.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spuzzum For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #54
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Telus is coming out to my place on Friday to install Optik. Used to have Bell for TV, Shaw for the rest. Over the course of the first year I will save upwards of $500, then about $15 a month ongoing afterward. My friend across the street has it and raves about it - and I am closer to the 'green box' than he is. Will report my findings.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #55
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Used to have Bell for TV
Just curious; did you look at Telus satellite TV? I know Telus uses Bell's hardware- and I know it is possible for them to take over a Bell receiver. (I have seen it done with somebody buying a used Bell receiver.)

Or was the 3 tuner PVR the selling point for you?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #56
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Telus Optik is amazing, I have it at home and get a sold 15-19MBPS download and the media room IPTV is amazing.

Telus took a quantum leap forward, IMHO, with the new mediaroom service.

I can see my DVR from my iphone

I can watch any recorded show on any room in my house

I can watch TV on my xbox

AWESOME.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #57
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Just curious; did you look at Telus satellite TV? I know Telus uses Bell's hardware- and I know it is possible for them to take over a Bell receiver. (I have seen it done with somebody buying a used Bell receiver.)

Or was the 3 tuner PVR the selling point for you?
Didn't really look to be honest. The mediaroom or PVR anywhere system was a huge plus, as was the 3 tuner system. Combine that with Bell making a bit of a pricing error and it was enough for me to leave. Cost was better too, and unfortunately Shaw is missing one channel from their lineup that is basically a must-have.

Incidentally, I will have a six-months used 9241 receiver for sale in about a week
Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #58
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
How much for all that?
I don't know about amorak's set up but ours is as follows:

Basic home phone with one calling feature, no packaged long distance minutes
Optik high speed ("regular" high speed)
TV package "your pick HD" which is basically the most expensive they have minus movie channels
Free rental of HD-PVR on 3 year contract
Purchasing 2nd tv box for $150 outright

First month free
12 months at $90 or so, $130 approximately ongoing

The iPhone app for record anywhere is free. You can also record via internet from what I understand. Using Xbox as a tv box is a $5 monthly licensing charge for the needed software.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Antithesis; 09-19-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #59
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
The iPhone app for record anywhere is free. You can also record via internet from what I understand.
That is correct. You don't need an iPhone to set up recordings on the PVR. You can log on through any computer. In fact it is easier to set up recordings through the iPhone app or through the internet. You have access to a proper keyboard so it is a lot easier to search for programs.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #60
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is what I currently have from shaw...
--------------
Current Monthly Services (09-Oct-10 to 08-Nov-10)
Digital TV/Movies & High-Speed 121.95
HD Plus Package 12.00
Timeshift 3.95
Internet Discount -5.00
Total Current Monthly Services $132.90
------------------------

Any suggestions on how to get this monthly bill lowered? Do I need to suggest switching to telus, or am I paying about right for the service I'm getting. I'm fairly happy with Shaw other that the wonky PVR menu freezing and poor audio quality we get.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote