Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Apple's iPad Megathread

Quote:
I spoke to a source at Apple this morning, before the invite hit my inbox, who said the event would likely focus on three projects: The tablet device, iPhone 4, and a new round of iLife 2010 software. While we won't see new iPhone hardware just yet, we will see the next-generation software.

Today's Apple invitation is vague as usual, but people love to look for clues in the message. The invite features spray-painted blobs amid vibrant color swatches, which could point to a device that captures "creative" activities. A tablet, perhaps? You bet your bottom dollar. Of course, it could also be a new Apple spray paint can that holds MP3s and unicorn tears. My money remains on the tablet, however.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...irmed-january/

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-10-2010 at 02:01 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

iPhone 4 would probably interest me more than the tablet. I may be in the minority.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
iPhone 4 would probably interest me more than the tablet. I may be in the minority.
I think iPhone OS 4 ranks pretty high on everyone's interest list.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeez..

The invite went out 4 hours+ ago...

You're slipping FanIn80.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think iPhone OS 4 ranks pretty high on everyone's interest list.
In that case it will be the tablet, and the tablet will be a large iPod Touch, thus letting everyone down.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everything I've heard about the tablet (speculations and rumours), makes me very uninterested in it. I just don't get the point of it.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

This came out earlier, Leo posted his invite around 9am today.

I am waiting to see what the Apple tablet has to offer and the pricing.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Jeez..

The invite went out 4 hours+ ago...

You're slipping FanIn80.
Haha. It took a couple hours for me to actually decide to post it.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Haha. It took a couple hours for me to actually decide to post it.
Clearly you're just trying to bait all the PC guys.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Clearly you're just trying to bait all the PC guys.
Clearly, this is rue. I mean... what other reason could I possibly have for posting this thread?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Here's a gallery of "enthusiast-designed" tablet prototypes.

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/sci...oncept-gallery
Old 01-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

But, but its a Fox News link....
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've said it numerous times, but I really hope this is something that could exist in that empty space between the iPhone and the MacBook. Apple really doesn't have a "netbook"-ish device, and I'm hoping this could fill that void. The fact that I'm over-the-moon excited for this is mainly because I'm an absolute geek for this kind of thing, truthfully I give the tablet a 20% chance of impressing me.

It's been widely touted as an e-reader, and that type of device is not something I've ever been interested in. The majority of my "me" time is spend on the train each morning and afternoon and I tend to get nauseated if I try to read in a moving vehicle. The train ride is also another reason it may not work as much for me, as I like the compact size of the iphone for watching tv/movies.

That aside I'm still very excited for this product. I'd say the smart money is on me not buying it, but I'm still chomping at the bit to see it. If some of the rumours are true then not only has Steve Jobs been giving the majority of his time to this project, but he's extremely happy with it. That to me says something. Steve Jobs is a mad man. His attention to detail is so anal that I can't help but be intrigued when somebody says he's excited for something.

As for iPhone 4.0 I'm very interested to see if android has lit a fire under their asses. In keeping with the divorce, I wonder if we'll see something related to that map company they bought? The idea of Apple distancing themselves from google maps maps me borderline weepy, but I'd like to see what's going on.

The last (big) update was for cut/paste and push. Those were huge features that the iPhone was missing. Now that we have those, I have a hard time wondering what the phone really needs. Background running apps? I don't see it happening but I'm wrong most of the time.

I didn't know there could be iLife updates. That perks my ears a lot. I love the iLife programs. I'm a little concerned now that I've made the full switch to aperture though. If they upgrade iPhoto with some crazy features I'll feel defeated.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I
As for iPhone 4.0 I'm very interested to see if android has lit a fire under their asses. In keeping with the divorce, I wonder if we'll see something related to that map company they bought? The idea of Apple distancing themselves from google maps maps me borderline weepy, but I'd like to see what's going on.

The last (big) update was for cut/paste and push. Those were huge features that the iPhone was missing. Now that we have those, I have a hard time wondering what the phone really needs. Background running apps? I don't see it happening but I'm wrong most of the time.
You know.. my opinion of the 3.0 firmware is that it's regressed things overall. I've found that performance has never been better than 2.2.1 and 1.1.4 on my old 2G iPhone. With the restrictions of not allowing apps to be totally active with the screen locked, I can't see any way in which they allow background apps to run.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
You know.. my opinion of the 3.0 firmware is that it's regressed things overall. I've found that performance has never been better than 2.2.1 and 1.1.4 on my old 2G iPhone. With the restrictions of not allowing apps to be totally active with the screen locked, I can't see any way in which they allow background apps to run.
Not to mention if they ditched push in favour of background apps it would reflect poorly on the decision to use push in the first place. That doesn't seem like the apple way.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the tablet will underwhelm commerically.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

It wouldn't be a good e-reader because it's backlit. Take a look at a kindle or one of the other e-readers with e-ink. The e-ink isn't backlit, it isn't being refreshed, it is very enegery efficient (battery lasts forever), you can read it in the sun. It's as easy on your eyes as reading a piece of paper. Plus the other e-readers cost anywhere from $60-$300.

You can already read your kindle books on your iphone or ipod touch, and I'm sure Amazon would come out with an app for that for the tablet.

To expand on the e-ink, I can't find the company website but there's a company who's already developed coloured e-ink displays.

Found it:

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/ereader/

Last edited by The Ditch; 01-18-2010 at 06:49 PM.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the tablet is going to be a first class web browsing experience, as much as it pains me to say it, I can't see how its going to find its way in the marketplace without Flash.

Flash on a phone doesn't make great sense, but on a larger screen like a tablet, I can't see any justification for leaving it out. Mostly, I just want to watch NHL Gamecenter on a tablet

I also think the tablet could open the door wide open for a number of important holes in Apple's strategy:

- wireless sync. Plugging in your tablet to sync with a cable would be teh silly

- home/cloud server for your media. You'll now have a Macbook, an iPhone, and your tablet, and maybe even an AppleTV (or two ). There needs to be a way to consolidate and distribute the media to all these devices that is more functional than iTunes Home Sharing.

- iPhone apps and data syncing on your desktop. I want my iPhone/tablet apps to keep their data in sync - I should be able to check/enter my gas mileage on either device. I should also be able to view the exact same app as a widget in my dashboard on my Macbook. Apple has an iPhone emulator, there is zero excuse for not giving me these apps on my Macbook. If the tablet doesn't run iPhone apps natively, I will consider it a major blunder on Apple's part.

- Tablet should have Back To My Mac capabilities. The iPhone should too, but I'll let it slide because I could see how Apple figures it isn't elegant.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 01-18-2010 at 07:55 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I agree, 3.0 seemed like a step backwards. It boggles my mind that I can sync, go upstairs, get my coat on, go to the car, plug in my Touch, and then have to wait 30-60 seconds for it to "update library"...WTH is it doing, it just synced with the computer, didn't it get a list of files then???
Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
It wouldn't be a good e-reader because it's backlit. Take a look at a kindle or one of the other e-readers with e-ink. The e-ink isn't backlit, it isn't being refreshed, it is very enegery efficient (battery lasts forever), you can read it in the sun. It's as easy on your eyes as reading a piece of paper. Plus the other e-readers cost anywhere from $60-$300.

You can already read your kindle books on your iphone or ipod touch, and I'm sure Amazon would come out with an app for that for the tablet.

To expand on the e-ink, I can't find the company website but there's a company who's already developed coloured e-ink displays.

Found it:

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/ereader/
Thanks for that link. I figured that there must be something out there, or at least something close. I'm only a month or so in with the kindle, but once there is full colour, video etc. I will somehow love it even more!

As far as this thread goes I have a hard time seeing the point of the tablet. I have an iMac, iPhone, iPod and my wife has the touch. We hardly seem to use the iMac as it is just because the other two wifi units basically let us do everything we need to. I guess I could eat my words, but somehow I doubt I'll be buying.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote