Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Would futureshop pricematch newegg.ca?

I want to get another external Harddrive, this one. On newegg.ca it is $119.99 + $7 shipping, and futureshop has it for $159.99 + tax.

I assume they wouldn't but does anyone know for sure?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

What is the Best Price Guarantee?
  • Shop now with the peace of mind for computers, peripherals and software. If you find a better price on or before September 30, 2009, we’ll refund you the difference.
http://www.futureshop.ca/information...=&langid=EN#99
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This won't help at all but a friend of mine used to photoshop the online ads for other companies then print it off and bring it into future shop. It worked.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
This won't help at all but a friend of mine used to photoshop the online ads for other companies then print it off and bring it into future shop. It worked.
Haha how much did he save?
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesPuck12 View Post
Haha how much did he save?
Not sure at all. I wasn't never there to witness it but considering some of the other stuff I've seen him photoshop and had the pleasure of benefiting from, I have no reason not to believe him.

I won't say what the other stuff is, except that the Flames organization would not be happy. (only ever benefited from that once)
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
Don't they normally check the URL of the website? I remember I tried pricematching something at BB and they checked the website first to make sure.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I want to get another external Harddrive, this one. On newegg.ca it is $119.99 + $7 shipping, and futureshop has it for $159.99 + tax.

I assume they wouldn't but does anyone know for sure?
If memory express has the drive, they will pricematch it. Or even better, if memex has it for the same price, then you can pricematch it at Futureshop and get the 5% difference or whatever is it.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
If memory express has the drive, they will pricematch it. Or even better, if memex has it for the same price, then you can pricematch it at Futureshop and get the 5% difference or whatever is it.
So, if it's the same price- that makes the difference 0, and 5% of 0 is still 0.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

It depends who you get at Futureshop. Newegg they generally don't pricematch, as there is a shipping fee they add on. They will pricematch the price at memory express though.

Memory Express will pricematch any online price.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So, if it's the same price- that makes the difference 0, and 5% of 0 is still 0.
I think he is implying if Memex is the same price as newegg then Futureshop would pay difference plus 5%.

I once had an ad I took into Futureshop, and the person at the till price matched but refused to do the extra 5%. So I paid (because it was a heck of a price difference) then walked over to the customer service desk, explained the problem, and they opened their cash drawer and gave me the 5%.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Don't they normally check the URL of the website? I remember I tried pricematching something at BB and they checked the website first to make sure.

I showed a website on my iphone to some guy at a walmart a few months ago for a video game. He didn't check it ... it was legit but it could have very easily been a photoshopped screen grab. Not a bad idea for when my morals really fall ass-backwards into the s*****r.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I showed a website on my iphone to some guy at a walmart a few months ago for a video game. He didn't check it ... it was legit but it could have very easily been a photoshopped screen grab. Not a bad idea for when my morals really fall ass-backwards into the s*****r.
I wonder if you could photoshop a $2000 tv to $899.99. I am nearly confident they would phone though with that much of a difference.

Either way, thanks for the help.

Relating to what I want to buy, which one would you get?:

A)

or

B) The original one, which Futureshop has for $159.99.

or is there another drive for similar price that is better/more reliable?

My current one is Seagate, and the one I was looking at looks to be the newer model (mine has a cooling stand, this doesn't ), so I trust the brand, but I know WD is a good brand, and it stands up, rather than laying down. Considering I put mine right on the floor, I think the WD would be a better choice, instead of laying the Seagate flat on the ground, thoughts?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've pricematched Futureshop to various online vendors before, most of the time they pull up the website to check stock and also add on any shipping charges.

I did find out though that Home Depot stores won't pricematch their own website :/
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've pricematched Futureshop to various online vendors before, most of the time they pull up the website to check stock and also add on any shipping charges.

I did find out though that Home Depot stores won't pricematch their own website :/
I was at Bestbuy and they guy said "Oh, well what you saw on our site and in store can be different, the warehouse, blah blah blah, so we can't pricematch our site." I think it was Bestbuy when I was buying a tv.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the 640 GB version of the Western My book essential. I've heard the software is only good for 30 days but I bought it for my Bell TV receiver, so it didn't matter. I've had it a couple of months and it seems fine although mine isn't made to stand up. I bought it from Newegg and they were fine to deal with plus you could follow it as it moved from truck to truck as it wended it's way from LA.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I was at Bestbuy and they guy said "Oh, well what you saw on our site and in store can be different, the warehouse, blah blah blah, so we can't pricematch our site." I think it was Bestbuy when I was buying a tv.
You can order it from their site and than choose store pickup instead of having it delivered.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote