Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Battlefield 1943

So it came out last week, anyone get it yet? I have and it is a ton of fun, there are only 3 maps that come with the game and it is online only but it is still awesome. When the community reaches 42,000,000 kills we will unlock a 4th map, and after something else we get a 5th map. Not to worry though, the 360 community is already at 31,000,000 kills.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's out already? How the hell did I miss that?!?! Is it on Steam?

This game looked like it had potential. If the planes fly anything like they did in BF1942, I'm all over this.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's on xbox live marketplace. 1200 points? I would buy it if I had more people on my friends list that played it, only 2 do play it. How many of us could we get to play it? My gamertag is Iggy iP.
phaneuf_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Sigh, not WWII AGAIN.

And what is the max players per game for consoles? The attraction of Battlefield for PC users was 64 player servers.

The PC version won't be out for awhile, it is a terrible console port and they are working to make it a bit more worthwhile for PC gamers.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Sigh, not WWII AGAIN.
I hear ya, but what else is there? Tribes was decent I guess but nothing out there based in the future that's any good for a FPS. Besides, the first one was awesome. Honestly, no game has had planes that fly as well as they did in 1942. AWESOME flight controls and feel. The land battles weren't bad either

If it's around $50, I'll buy it for sure when it comes on out PC. Aint no FPS games ever gettin played on my 360.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know people are tired of the WWII genre, but there is still a market for it. I'm a huge WWII game fan. I don't know how this one slipped past my radar. I'll have to check it out when it is released for PC.

I agree with GoinAllTheWay... FPS is best played on PC.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I know people are tired of the WWII genre, but there is still a market for it. I'm a huge WWII game fan. I don't know how this one slipped past my radar. I'll have to check it out when it is released for PC.

I agree with GoinAllTheWay... FPS is best played on PC.
Agree * 1000

Mouse and Keyboard >>>>>>>>>>> Dual Joysticks
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has there ever been any kinda study (and I use that word loosely) done on a seasoned M&K player going up against a seasoned console control player and seeing who comes out on top? Would be tough to keep accurate I'm sure (connections, skill with that particular game, etc...) but would be interesting to see.

I'm sure there are folks who are solid with the controller, I just know I'll never be one of them.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

There are some 3rd party mouse/keyboard controllers for the PS3 I think, though I don't know how good they are.

I don't think there's any possible way they could match up, the console has slow turn rate while a mouse player can just flip around, seems to me that with some practice a mouse player could circle strafe any console player, get so good at it that they could never fight back.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_train View Post
It's on xbox live marketplace. 1200 points? I would buy it if I had more people on my friends list that played it, only 2 do play it. How many of us could we get to play it? My gamertag is Iggy iP.
x JPeeper x , is my gamertag if you want to play. I find in games it is either everyone has mic's or no one has them.

It is tremendous for an arcade game. $15 and it has near HD graphics. Awesome fun game.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like I wasted the 15 bucks on the PS3 version. I simply CANNOT play with the joystick. Can someone tell me, why, if sony can enable bluetooth keyboards to connect to the playstation, can't they get them usable in game? As far as I'm concerned it's the only thing holding back consoles from taking over the entire gaming market. For what it's worth, Battlefield 1942 is IMO the best game ever made. I still play it now on occasion.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Problem is that even with mouse and kb, the coding for the game is still wired for joysticks, so you get this awful floaty feeling when using it apparently.

Sniping with a controller is fairly useless, and unless you can funnel the opposition down your sites and get multiple hits at them, it's best to try to ambush them CS style. Also hang out with team members.

Remember, it's not an FPS, it's a glorified flight sim game using humans as avatars.

Any Bad Company veteran's playing this?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #13
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
Problem is that even with mouse and kb, the coding for the game is still wired for joysticks, so you get this awful floaty feeling when using it apparently.

Sniping with a controller is fairly useless, and unless you can funnel the opposition down your sites and get multiple hits at them, it's best to try to ambush them CS style. Also hang out with team members.

Remember, it's not an FPS, it's a glorified flight sim game using humans as avatars.

Any Bad Company veteran's playing this?
My friend is on the top players list on Bad Company, yet he is absolutely dreadful in this game.

As for the sniping, it is pretty bad in this game, it is pretty useless most of the time.

I have always preferred games on the console, even FPS, a controller to me feels way better than a mouse and a keyboard.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
There are some 3rd party mouse/keyboard controllers for the PS3 I think, though I don't know how good they are.

I don't think there's any possible way they could match up, the console has slow turn rate while a mouse player can just flip around, seems to me that with some practice a mouse player could circle strafe any console player, get so good at it that they could never fight back.
It's impossible to get proper mouse controls working on the majority of console games aside from those properly coded for it because basically they are translating x/y mouse movements onto games designed for analog joysticks where it is a lever that pivots on a point and therefore the acceleration and completely differently calculated and since it is a joystick, it by nature has to have a deadzone and that absolute ruins any precision or use of the mouse...not to mention that the inherent precision of console gamepad analog joysticks is garbage in the first place and made games are coded to compensate for this somehow (autoaiming, auto stabilization).

The only way to get a proper mouse on consoles - and some crazy online console players do actually do this - is to purchase a specially designed custom kit which they have to hook up their console as well as a PC. The mouse goes into the PC and with special drivers software, the PC "does the work" of calculating mouse movements and emulating them as analog joystick output that goes into the XBOX/PS3!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sniping is always pretty awful, regardless of the game.

No engine can handle the type of range required to really simulate an effective sniper setup.

If a game could eventually utilize a map that expansive, snipers should conceivably become the most useful component in the game. A good sniper team, or two, can really put a lock down on a company, or with any kind of support, even a batallion.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There was this game I tried one time and it did a good job of sniping mechanics. I think it was called Sniper Elite, horribly buggy, poor AI and graphics but hey I guess you can't have it all.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So all consoles really ever needed to beat PCs was to add hard drives, network cards, USB ports, web browsers, chat rooms, downloads, and a keyboard and mouse?
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #18
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\

lol, yep, pretty much. Obviously not the WHOLE picture but funny to read.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
So all consoles really ever needed to beat PCs was to add hard drives, network cards, USB ports, web browsers, chat rooms, downloads, and a keyboard and mouse?
And the ability to be upgradable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote