Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #4661
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Detroit, despite not picking top 3, have made 15 picks in the top 2 rounds over the last 4 drafts. They seem to be of the mind that a high quantity of picks in the top 60 will be beneficial to their success later on, can't say I disagree.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #4662
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Just because this forum is dominated by complainers doesn't mean "there isn't much disagreement that they should re-build. A lot of folks support that notion." They have a 6-7 guys under 23-24 now and 28-30 isn't old in this league. All teams seem to grab a few vets for the bottom lines. If the top 4 usual suspects play well enough breaking up the core will a little easier. If your going to wait for them to "blow it up" good luck with that.
Yeah good point. I'm not necessarily opposed to a rebuild (for all the reasons given many times now), but you're right about an exciting, young core group already here that the team could build around. You throw Eichel into a core group with Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Hanafin, Dube, etc. and I think they are in the mix for years to come.

Not to mention some of the older Coleman, Markstrom, etc. group that would still be around, plus a few other younger players with potential, like Andersson, Vladar, and Valimaki, the team could be really good for quite a few years.

A futures-based deal for Eichel is probably our best possible chance to an extended (5+ years) competitive window. Our core pieces in that scenario, including Eichel, would be young enough to mitigate the loss of a couple of high draft picks and a couple of top end prospects.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #4663
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Isn't it top 4?

That is IF you finish at the bottom. And that is much harder to do than it sounds. Especially with ARI and BUF in the mix.
The lottery was changed this last year. There are now only two lottery drawings instead of three.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-l...21/c-322838154

Last edited by Ashasx; 10-18-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #4664
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Detroit, despite not picking top 3, have made 15 picks in the top 2 rounds over the last 4 drafts. They seem to be of the mind that a high quantity of picks in the top 60 will be beneficial to their success later on, can't say I disagree.
One day they might be a mediocre team!
Old 10-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #4665
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Which is the way you have to do it - you can't just plan for luck.

The question is: how much success will Detroit realize from that strategy?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #4666
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikitiklik View Post
Kutcherov going on LTIR again? sounds like Tampa will be getting Eichel if thats the case I bet
Wonder if Tampa will target P. Kane. He's still playing at an elite level with one year after this on his contract. Chicago looks terrible.

Without Coleman, Gourde, and now Kucherov the Lightning's forward core is looking very thin.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #4667
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Wonder if Tampa will target P. Kane. He's still playing at an elite level with one year after this on his contract. Chicago looks terrible.

Without Coleman, Gourde, and now Kucherov the Lightning's forward core is looking very thin.
Why don't we target P. Kane?
Old 10-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #4668
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

good.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #4669
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
2-3 years of actual tanking isn't what I'd call rushing a rebuild.

2021/2022: Sell-off. Get the biggest returns you can for Gaudreau, Tkachuk etc.

2022/2023: Sell-off continued. Hanifin, Tanev, Backlund, Monahan - everyone on the table. No bolstering the roster via free agency, try and maximize available cap-space by being a dumping place for other team's problems. Retain cap on players to maximize the return. Hard tank year.

2023/2024: Hard tank year.

Off-Season 2024: Begin the build.

The key to the rebuild would be maximizing the sell-off and truly actually tanking. Be a salary floor team, unless you can really maximize that cap space by taking on bad contracts.

End of the day the team is hoping to take a step forward from their lowest year when the new building opens? I can’t see that being ideal for the organization. Realistically they would have a year like the Sens just had going from picking 3rd overall to 10th overall?

End of the day it is not vastly different from what the last regime tried. They ended up having 3 tank years in 13, 14, 16 which included a sell off in 13 (they just didn’t get anything for the sell off). They did have super prospect Gaudreau in the system who debuted at 21 as a star and also consolidated assets to add a 22 year old top 4 Dman in their one non tank year of their 4 year build.

You are hoping they do better from the sell off and hit further down the standings than they did last time. Going to have to hope they get better players than Monahan, Bennett, and Tkachuk. Not sure they have a Gaudreau in the system today but maybe they get that piece when they trade Tkachuk?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #4670
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Which is the way you have to do it - you can't just plan for luck.

The question is: how much success will Detroit realize from that strategy?
I am definitely curious to see how it all plays out. Steve Yzerman is in his 4th year there now, and there has been an obvious effort to accrue as many draft picks as possible. Whether he can replicate his late round success like Tampa remains to be seen, but the more darts you have the more chance of success you have.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #4671
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
More Eichel discussion with Marek and Friedman. Debating when this ends and they keep saying every week this needs to end. 5 teams are good with the surgery but other teams agree with Buffalo.
On the 32 Thoughts Podcast or the Marek show? Sportsnet programming is so bizarre now. they have 2 shows come out on a monday where they say the same things...
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #4672
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
On the 32 Thoughts Podcast or the Marek show? Sportsnet programming is so bizarre now. they have 2 shows come out on a monday where they say the same things...
Sorry this was the Marek show that runs on 960
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #4673
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

2022/2023: Sell-off continued. Hanifin, Tanev, Backlund, Monahan - everyone on the table. No bolstering the roster via free agency, try and maximize available cap-space by being a dumping place for other team's problems. Retain cap on players to maximize the return. Hard tank year.

The key to the rebuild would be maximizing the sell-off and truly actually tanking. Be a salary floor team, unless you can really maximize that cap space by taking on bad contracts.
This path would mean a shorter rebuild. 100%.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #4674
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think a rebuild is the wrong direction to go but the one that still makes the most sense to me is seeing if they can build a package around Monahan+cap+futures to get Eichel.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #4675
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

2022-2023 should be the hard tank season - 2023 draft has Connor Bedard and Matvei - two shots at a true game-changing franchise player.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #4676
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If it were an actual choice between rebuild and all-in for Eichel, I would argue against the Eichel route because we should be in asset accumulation mode, not selling our limited prospects and futures.

But if it's between status quo and go for Eichel, I'm team go for Eichel.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #4677
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe we can just be bad this year and get Shane Wright.

#onecandream
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #4678
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
If it were an actual choice between rebuild and all-in for Eichel, I would argue against the Eichel route because we should be in asset accumulation mode, not selling our limited prospects and futures.

Getting Eichel is also rebuild coverage. He can easily be moved again. Especially retained with a year or two left! The return (if he gets back to his playing ways) could be ridiculous.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #4679
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post

Unless they are ready to fire Sutter then we know the only option is to compete. The only way they won’t is if the team completely turns out Sutter and they decide to put a stick of dynamite in the team.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #4680
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The team that I keep wondering about a shakeup would be Dallas.

Cup finals in 19-20, struggled in 20-21, and now 1-2 so far this year with a loss to Ottawa yesterday.

I do wonder if you see them and Calgary do something if they get off to a bad start.

Seguin is a name I could see Calgary interested in, and Pavelski, Klingberg, and Pavelski are all UFA after this season.
Dallas is another organization like Calgary. They haven’t done a proper rebuild and just keep hanging around as a team that might make the playoffs year to year and might not, but doesn’t have any elite talent in the pipeline to inspire confidence that they’ll become a contender.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote