Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #2721
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Trying to blame anything on Iginla is just petty, and to say that man shafted the team in anyway during his time here? I have no time for that. That’s Oilers fan behaviour to dump on ex-players like that.

Dude had a full NMC and could do whatever he wanted.

The crap return is no one’s fault except Feaster and his incompetent stooge of an assistant Weisbrod.
Yeah, I won't blame Iggy at all. For all I know Feaster presented him with two destinations and described them as equal deals.

It's mostly too bad that Iginla didn't do a new deal with the Pens - he'd have 2 rings. Or go to LA (and Sutter) earlier and win a cup there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #2722
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, I won't blame Iggy at all. For all I know Feaster presented him with two destinations and described them as equal deals.

It's mostly too bad that Iginla didn't do a new deal with the Pens - he'd have 2 rings. Or go to LA (and Sutter) earlier and win a cup there.
You could also argue that he should have stayed in Boston a couple more years too.

The issue that all those teams had was cap space to pay him the salary he wanted. He sort of skirted it in Boston signing a bonus laden +35 deal that put the Bruins in a cap bind the following year. Essentially earning a 6 million dollar salary for a 1.5 cap hit that year. But Pittsburgh and L.A. likley were not able to meet his wage requests at that time. He opted to get paid and tried to pick an up and coming team. He ended up getting it wrong unfortunately for him.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #2723
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
You could also argue that he should have stayed in Boston a couple more years too.

The issue that all those teams had was cap space to pay him the salary he wanted. He sort of skirted it in Boston signing a bonus laden +35 deal that put the Bruins in a cap bind the following year. Essentially earning a 6 million dollar salary for a 1.5 cap hit that year. But Pittsburgh and L.A. likley were not able to meet his wage requests at that time. He opted to get paid and tried to pick an up and coming team. He ended up getting it wrong unfortunately for him.
That's entirely correct. Iggy always got paid. He went to Colorado because they offered him the most money.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #2724
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

I'm not sure what their cap situation was at the time. Or even if they made an offer to him. But clearly he wanted money over Cup chances (though the year before he signed, the Avs finished third in the league, albeit with a first round exit, and looked like a rising team).
Old 09-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #2725
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Based on how Feaster operated you are giving him far too much credit here. Iginla gave a list of teams he was interested in but Feaster assumed that meant he was 100% waiving for those teams.

Once again Feaster didn’t interpret the situation properly and it resulted in the organization embarrassing itself. I remember the day after the trade Ken King was on Prime Time Sports and admitted they should have confirmed with Iginla the move to Boston before agreeing to it.

You are giving the moron who was a joke of a GM credit and trying to lay blame on the all time franchise great as screwing the team? You can’t possibly be doing that can you?
Quote:
Trying to blame anything on Iginla is just petty, and to say that man shafted the team in anyway during his time here? I have no time for that. That’s Oilers fan behaviour to dump on ex-players like that.

Dude had a full NMC and could do whatever he wanted.

The crap return is no one’s fault except Feaster and his incompetent stooge of an assistant Weisbrod.
You know a guy can be an amazing employee and asset to an organization right up until he isn't. If you go to one of your employees and ask them to give you their word on something, and then they renege on the verbal agreement you had with them, that is a pretty douchy thing to do. Doesn't impact what a great employee they have been in the past, just means they put the screws to you when you believed there was an agreement in hand. This is what happened here.

It's not being mean to Iginla, or denigrating his legacy, to suggest that he screwed the Flames over here. He clearly did. He forced the Flames to take a lesser deal after providing a verbal list of teams he would accept a trade to.
Feaster was indeed a fool for NOT getting in writing the list of teams Iginla could be traded to. He instead treated Iginla like Edwards had treated Iginla during his time in Calgary and took him at his word, negotiating the best deal for the Flames, believing that Iginla would accept a trade to any of the teams he had verbally agreed to earlier. The reality is that Iginla would then pick and choose, forcing the team to accept a lesser deal. What made it even douchier, was Iginla signing with Boston the next off season. Try and defend it all you want, but it was a dick move. Doesn't change a damn thing he did in a Flames uniform or what a great guy he is. He just played hardball and it screwed the team. That was his right and he used that right to his advantage. Feaster screwed up here too, but it was still a dick move by the player. If it were a player on a different team, or any other player than Iginla, we would be saying the exact same thing. We should be able to judge the business side of the game differently from the contribution by the player on the ice.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #2726
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the main point is getting lost, and that is that the way Iginla and Feaster approached it, is not the way it typically works. Typically, the waiver is a written document where the player agrees to go to certain teams on the list. That is the way Boston understood it and I think Burke commented on it before.

Feaster and Iginla decided to do it differently, which is fine, but it shouldn't be what people expect if Gaudreau gets asked to waive for additional teams. We should expect that both sides follow the normal process where the player can't back out after the waiver is signed.

If it even got to that point. I would put faith in Gaudreau's five team list being all contending playoff teams that would be interested in his services. More than enough to pump up his trade value. If the Flames get an offer from one outside of his list, they could ask if he wants to waive at that point.

Seriously, if the Flames are on the outside looking in and Gaudreau is without a long term deal, you can be sure that he will want to go to a playoff team to win and maximize his negotiating power for his next deal. I just can't see him nixing deals to good teams just to stay in Calgary a couple of months longer at that point. It could cost him millions in his next contract if he did that.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-07-2021 at 02:57 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #2727
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not denigrating Iginla's character at all, but bottom line, he was leaving this team that summer. You could argue the team failed him by not giving him in a legitimate chance to win, but he was a free agent and he was intending to go elsewhere. That was his right, and he shouldn't be criticized for that.

But the team had an obligation to themselves as well, just as Iginla had an obligation to whatever his reasons were for choosing to sign where he did. That's not disrespectful of either party, imo. It's the situation they were in and both parties trying to make the best of it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #2728
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see how it was a dick move by Iginla at all and think it is a poor take. We have a front office who had several public embarrassments in their short time in the job. From trading a 2nd round pick to dump a contract the team themselves could have buried in Europe so they could make a 9 year offer to a 31 year old player. Drafting a high school kid out of Quebec who no one had in the top 40 prospects and declaring him the best player in the draft class. Not understanding the CBA and nearly losing a 1st and a 3rd in compensation so another team could claim O’Rielly on waivers.

I am sorry that leadership team is easily the reason for this. Iggy choosing 1 team was his right as he gave it his all here for 16 years. Feaster making that deal with the Bruins was his own incompetence for not ensuring it would be agreed to by Iggy. End of the day Iggy paid the price as the Bruins swept his Pens and went on a cup final run. Really at the end of the day the Bruins package was equally as useless as the Pens one turned out to be.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #2729
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think the main point is getting lost, and that is that the way Iginla and Feaster approached it, is not the way it typically works. Typically, the waiver is a written document where the player agrees to go to certain teams on the list. That is the way Boston understood it and I think Burke commented on it before.

Feaster and Iginla decided to do it differently, which is fine, but it shouldn't be what people expect if Gaudreau gets asked to waive for additional teams. We should expect that both sides follow the normal process where the player can't back out after the waiver is signed.

If it even got to that point. I would put faith in Gaudreau's five team list being all contending playoff teams that would be interested in his services. More than enough to pump up his trade value. If the Flames get an offer from one outside of his list, they could ask if he wants to waive at that point.

Seriously, if the Flames are on the outside looking in and Gaudreau is without a long term deal, you can be sure that he will want to go to a playoff team to win and maximize his negotiating power for his next deal. I just can't see him nixing deals to good teams just to stay in Calgary a couple of months longer at that point. It could cost him millions in his next contract if he did that.
Right. If it's a team not on the list, they go to him and say "we have a trade proposal from X - not on your list. Will you waive for them?" Fair play for him if he says no. Now, if he says "did Philly/TB/NYI/Colorado/Vegas call" Treliving can choose to either tell him (assuming they did) or not.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #2730
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
You know a guy can be an amazing employee and asset to an organization right up until he isn't. If you go to one of your employees and ask them to give you their word on something, and then they renege on the verbal agreement you had with them, that is a pretty douchy thing to do. Doesn't impact what a great employee they have been in the past, just means they put the screws to you when you believed there was an agreement in hand. This is what happened here.

It's not being mean to Iginla, or denigrating his legacy, to suggest that he screwed the Flames over here. He clearly did. He forced the Flames to take a lesser deal after providing a verbal list of teams he would accept a trade to.
Feaster was indeed a fool for NOT getting in writing the list of teams Iginla could be traded to. He instead treated Iginla like Edwards had treated Iginla during his time in Calgary and took him at his word, negotiating the best deal for the Flames, believing that Iginla would accept a trade to any of the teams he had verbally agreed to earlier. The reality is that Iginla would then pick and choose, forcing the team to accept a lesser deal. What made it even douchier, was Iginla signing with Boston the next off season. Try and defend it all you want, but it was a dick move. Doesn't change a damn thing he did in a Flames uniform or what a great guy he is. He just played hardball and it screwed the team. That was his right and he used that right to his advantage. Feaster screwed up here too, but it was still a dick move by the player. If it were a player on a different team, or any other player than Iginla, we would be saying the exact same thing. We should be able to judge the business side of the game differently from the contribution by the player on the ice.

We actually don’t know what a Iggy said to Feaster. It’s just as likely he gave them a list of teams he would consider. I doubt he would tie himself down by agreeing in writing, as it’s unlikely he actually agreed to a set list. Why would he? He would want to retain flexibility in the event there were multiple offers.

There is nothing clear about this at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #2731
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

So tell the ####ing player that offer is not good enough for us we want Boston's offer. If I was a GM a player would NEVER let a player make a trade for me. Its not like the deal was done at the last minute of the trade deadline.

nothing against Iggy, aimed at Feaster
Old 09-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #2732
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to remember what the rumoured Boston offer was for Iggy. The parts I remember were a 1st (31st pick), Khoklachev and ...?

Khoklachev busted, the pick would be as bad of a first rounder as you could get and I can't remember the 2nd prospect in the rumor.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #2733
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I'm trying to remember what the rumoured Boston offer was for Iggy. The parts I remember were a 1st (31st pick), Khoklachev and ...?
Matt Bartkowski
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #2734
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post

Khoklachev busted, the pick would be as bad of a first rounder as you could get and I can't remember the 2nd prospect in the rumor.
Amazingly the return from Pittsburgh was actually the better of the 2 packages . 28 overall being better than 31st and the prospects all being busts. Thanks iggy for doing a better job than Feaster
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #2735
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No new trade rumor to discuss?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #2736
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
No new trade rumor to discuss?
Quiet, you. This is now the “whose fault is this lousy trade from nearly a decade ago” thread.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #2737
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Matt Bartkowski
Which only served to delay the "Bartowski Era" in Calgary.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #2738
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason why the Boston package was considered better was indeed Khoklachev. He had really strong production in the AHL (consistently close to PPG) and received limited opportunities on the NHL club (9 games w/ 0 points, over 3 seasons). So the theory was he was a good player blocked by a deep Bs club.

Then he went back to the KHL where he continues to produce pretty well. I still think he was the best prospect in the 2 proposed deals, even though he didn't work out. He had more upside than anyone else.

If we are talking about players screwing the Flames, isn't Kipper outright refusing a trade to Toronto a better example? I use the term screwing loosely as I actually don't fault him.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #2739
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Matt Bartkowski
Bartkowski had the best career I guess? When your nickname is Tank Commander Bartkowski it doesn't say much
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #2740
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 fat zeroes is the basis for 2 pages of discussion? For the record - and with the benefit of hindsight - the Pittsburgh deal was slightly better as the pick was a bit better. That's it.

The big issues was the wunderkid Khocklachev - where is he again? Oh right, he ended up busting and is playing in the KHL last I heard. Didn't he also pout and publicly state that he didn't get a fair shake in Boston? Seems like to me that he just sucked. Can you imagine that drama if Iginla did go to Boston? "Calgary hates Russians", "Russians hate Calgary", "Calgary sucks at development", "Calgary mismanaged Khocklachev"... endless debates on Boyd 2.0.

Who cares how the Flames arrived where they did? All that matters was that the sum total of both packages was zero. Heck, I bet if you combine both packages somehow and we tricked both teams into the deal, the sum still would have been zero. That's not on Iginla - that's on Feaster for negotiating 2 laughably terrible deals in the first place - so terrible, that Burke made it a point to bring up 'value in trades' as a notable reason for Feaster's dismissal. Heck, Riseborough got fleeced, but at least the value coming back to the Flames was greater than zero. Iginla, Bouwmeester and Regehr - no assets to show for it today (with Treliving screwing up and letting a useful Byron get claimed).

I just choose to think that this organization did something classy and sent their all-time goal scoring leader and long-time captain to his preferred team to chase a cup. That's it.

As for Gaudreau - I am concerned. I figured that the deal was done, as logically you would want to offer Gaudreau up to 31 teams this off-season instead of 5 if Gaudreau's demands were too great. I am going to assume that Treliving isn't incompetent, and that this wedding has just postponed all of this, but that both sides are close and have agreed to the framework.

However, playing devil's advocate here, if they are not close and Treliving is forced to trade Gaudreau by the trade deadline this year, I am betting he will get back more than what Feaster got for the above combined. Treliving has been fairly solid in the trade department - I don't think he has been a 'wizard', but he certainly hasn't been Feaster either, and he will extract value for Gaudreau. I don't see how it would be as much value as if there were 31 teams kicking the tires on a deal, but there will be value at least.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: