Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
um, you may want to re-read that article you posted. it states that Sony adds more code to Android itself than any other manufacturer, as in the base operating system, not their own custom designs. that's why they're usually one of the first ones to upgrade their devices to new releases, and why they don't go crazy with themeing their phones

remember that Android is open source, anyone can contribute to it. even on your Nexus, a lot of what you see is due in part to Sony's work. and that's also why you have some very prominent Android developers (like codeworkx) jumping ship from Samsung devices and buying Sony. they release their sourcecode to the public, which Samsung hasn't done for quite awhile. i'm looking at the Xperia T as a possible upgrade when my contract is done
Yeah I had second thoughts after posting that article but going to stand by my statement of Sony being one of those who are quite far from stock Android. I'm speaking mainly about the themeing as that is not the usual AOSP of course.

And definite shame how Samsung Korea has basically shut the world out despite their constant promises of change. Reading some of the posts by Entropy about how developers have been 'smashing theirs heads against a brick wall repeatedly' is just brutal.

Still though... The Note 2 calls my name...
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
I'm also curious as to the hate for LG. I'm in the same boat as Mastodon but I figure I'll go straight to the LG Nexus (sim unlocked) unless I hear something more substantive about multiple simultaneous Nexus partners with phones releasing in the near future. I'm desperate for a new phone, I'm back to Froyo for the time being.
I have never been happy with any of the phone of theirs I have owned. I don't hate them, I would just rather a Samsung or Motorola.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I have never been happy with any of the phone of theirs I have owned. I don't hate them, I would just rather a Samsung or Motorola.
Is that because of the actual hardware of the phone, or the software?

I'd prefer another Samsung Nexus phone myself... but if the LG is running stock Android I'm fine with that too.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

There is a bigger developer community with the Samsung phones. I don't want to derail this thread into talking about rooting, ROMs and such, but SHOULD something happen to your Samsung phone in terms of software going kaput, there is a greater chance that someone has a fix for it. Even just going back to stock, Samsung phones have more community support.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am partial to Samsung phones myself, the last three have all been Samsung and I have had zero issues. My Captivate is running the latest 4.1.2 JB as well and holding its own doing it.

I have the Galaxy Nexus and absolutely love it. But, I love for how easy it is to customize with kernels and ROMs and I know a lot of you are not looking for that. I have not had much of an issue with the 16GB of storage with plenty of photos and music on it. It sounds like Google is really trying to push its cloud services so I do not see the new Nexus coming with expandable storage. I use Box, Dropbox and Drive for cloud service and outside of data consumption I have no issues moving files around.

I will definitely be getting another Nexus phone and will more than likely wait on a Samsung release.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post

Still though... The Note 2 calls my name...
It calls mine too!
Irresistible to a gadget freak that I am.
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #27
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can't say I'm a big fan of motorolla. I have a atrix now and the screen just went on it after only 2 years. Yet my samsung galaxy 1 is still working fine. My next phone will be a samsung for sure.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nexus 7 32gig version update.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/23/go...-32gb-version/

Quote:
Google is expected to announce a 32GB Nexus 7 tablet, both Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, at their upcoming “playground is open” Android event on October 29th. Google has yet to confirm the news of a new version of the tablet, but some retails have received stock and unofficially started selling them. According to a Best Buy leak Canada the price for the 32GB Wi-Fi version will be $269 CDN.

Slight sign of progress as it seems the 8GB version that originally launched is now showing “coming soon,” or out of stock, which potentially means they are transitioning away from the low-storage tablet. The 8GB retailed for $209 and hopefully a massive price drop for the 16GB version is en route… everything will be revealed on Monday.
Nexus 7 32gig - $270
iPad Mini 32 gig -$ 430
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #29
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Better yet is the supposed price drop for the 16GB version which is more than good enough for most people.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #30
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
There is a bigger developer community with the Samsung phones. I don't want to derail this thread into talking about rooting, ROMs and such, but SHOULD something happen to your Samsung phone in terms of software going kaput, there is a greater chance that someone has a fix for it. Even just going back to stock, Samsung phones have more community support.
they're losing that support though because of Samsung's refusal to work with the developers. codeworkx was the main dev behind Cyanogenmod for the Galaxy S2 and S3. his blog is full of hate for Samsung and how hard it is to develop on their phones, and he has recently given up completely and purchased an Xperia T

at this point, the hardware is pretty much the same for high end devices across the different manufacturers. i don't care at all about whatever features Samsung or any other manufacturer puts on their phones as the first thing i do is wipe it and put on a custom rom. the only thing i care about is the developer support, it's the reason i got a Galaxy S2 and is the reason i'm leaning towards Sony for the next purchase
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #31
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Better yet is the supposed price drop for the 16GB version which is more than good enough for most people.
Even more curious is if Google bothers with an even cheaper 8GB version at 170 or whatever.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
they're losing that support though because of Samsung's refusal to work with the developers. codeworkx was the main dev behind Cyanogenmod for the Galaxy S2 and S3. his blog is full of hate for Samsung and how hard it is to develop on their phones, and he has recently given up completely and purchased an Xperia T

at this point, the hardware is pretty much the same for high end devices across the different manufacturers. i don't care at all about whatever features Samsung or any other manufacturer puts on their phones as the first thing i do is wipe it and put on a custom rom. the only thing i care about is the developer support, it's the reason i got a Galaxy S2 and is the reason i'm leaning towards Sony for the next purchase
Yes they are. The developer of the kernel I use is bailing on all devices except for the Nexus lines. He says it is just to hard to constantly update closed sourced code. The Nexus line is just so easy to work with and very powerful hard as well. The general conciseness is that a nicely tweaked kernel on the Galaxy Nexus will run smoother and longer than the SGSIII.

I really like what Google is doing, just supply me the hardware and we will take care of the rest.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #33
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Even more curious is if Google bothers with an even cheaper 8GB version at 170 or whatever.
Doesn't look like it. I think it has been removed from the Play Store.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #34
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't get this thing if it has 8GB and no expandable storage. Hopefully we see a 16GB and 32GB also announced.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #35
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Are there other Nexus phones being introduced soon? I've been holding off getting an iPhone 5 to see what's coming up.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

We probably won't know if there will be additional Google phones coming out until the actual event although it looks not as likely at this point given the number of leaks about the Nexus 4. Probably possible that Google will announce new phones that will be part of the Nexus program considering Sony announced it's doing an experiment on the Xperia line for Nexus-like updates.

In any case, Nexus 10 manual leaks... Don't know what the actual device looks like still
http://phandroid.com/2012/10/25/sams...xus-10-manual/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #37
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Under the devices tab at the GooglePlay store they now have a little phone icon. Hoping this means you can order new Nexus Phones right from Google and bypass any carrier.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #38
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post

Under the devices tab at the GooglePlay store they now have a little phone icon. Hoping this means you can order new Nexus Phones right from Google and bypass any carrier.
I believe you can in the US, but the same thing didn't happen in Canada for the last generation. In the US you could order the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Nexus. Canada we could only order the Nexus 7. Hopefully this changes. I would love to get Google phones directly from them even if I have to pay a slight shipping fee.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #39
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I believe you can in the US, but the same thing didn't happen in Canada for the last generation. In the US you could order the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Nexus. Canada we could only order the Nexus 7. Hopefully this changes. I would love to get Google phones directly from them even if I have to pay a slight shipping fee.
That image is from the Canadian Google Play store, so that gives some hope. Previously it was just the Nexus 7 image. But yeah, won't get too excited until It's official.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nexus 10 images leak!

Android 4.2