Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #61
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
I have close family in law enforcement and they are good people. They worked/work hard and have done some amazing, selfless things throughout their careers. I am not painting them as anything other then civil servants who have done their job tirelessly and thanklessly and I don't think they deserve to be branded as being corrupt or incompetent - it couldn't be further from the truth.
If they don't do anything to hold the corrupt and incompetent officers accountable, then they're part of the problem. I'm stick of hearing the "not all police are bad" argument when those same officers round the wagons to protect the criminals in their office
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #62
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Update on the OP suspect/driver.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...edgdhp&pc=U531

Makes you wonder about people who shouldn't even be driving.
There was not one person around that knew French ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #63
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Don't confuse surprise with vehemently holding a group that wields some of the highest power in the land to an extremely high account.
Still at the end of the day this is an occupation that requires just a high school diploma and pays $50-100k year salary. They are regular people and we hold them to far higher standards than politicians. We all know that many politicians are incompetent, corrupt, self-serving and yet we expect that everyone in law enforcement should straight and narrow. That's nice in theory but in practice it's just not how people work. There's always going to be a level of corruption and incompetence.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #64
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh I rear ended a GMC Terrain 2 years ago with my Ram 2500. He slammed on his brakes in the middle of the Anthony Henday as I was changing lanes and I clipped his passenger rear side and I ended up pushing his lift gate all the way up to the back of the front passenger seat.

It was terrible as my first thought was that I just killed someone. Thank God there was only a driver and no one in the back seat, but it was unreal how much damage a 3/4 ton does to even an SUV.

Not that it's relevant but I did get off with no ticket as there were a few witness accounts to him just locking up his brakes for no reason on the highway. I still feel guilty about it but who actually keeps 4-5 vehicle lengths behind others on the highway.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #65
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
...but who actually keeps 4-5 vehicle lengths behind others on the highway.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Man, at a minimum, hopefully everyone.

At 100, four and half truck lengths is one second. If you’re 5 vehicle lengths behind someone on the highway, you’re tailgating.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #66
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh huh. Driving back from Canmore last weekend, 3 people passed me, then moved over with 1-2 car lengths. Like, thanks. I didn't need that safe stopping distance, or my windshield, you ####ing #######s.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #67
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I can't tell the colour of your eyes while I'm driving behind you with my high beams on, then I'm too far.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #68
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If they don't do anything to hold the corrupt and incompetent officers accountable, then they're part of the problem. I'm stick of hearing the "not all police are bad" argument when those same officers round the wagons to protect the criminals in their office
I don't think that's fair either. If they're in a position to actually do something about it and choose not too, then yes screw them. But what do you think a beat cop can actually do about it?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #69
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Or maybe the issues aren't as prominent or widespread as the media or the anti-police folk make them out to be? That's the premise you are relying on to judge them all. Howany police interactions a day are there? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? I suspect some of those interactions may go poorly. So I guess they are sick of hearing that good cops see corruption and incompetency and do nothing about it.

And I can say that because that's what I've discussed with them.

In fact, if anything cops are the first to be critical of other cops. Most of the systemic problems are internal and in particular how cops treat each other. So I guess they are also sick of hearing that cops round the wagons to protect their own.

Maybe EE is on to something above. Maybe they just aren't all first line material. And as much as the first liners push them or lead by example, they still remain 4th liners or your 4th pairing. You wouldn't say all the Flames suck just because Kari Eleronta shot it in his own net.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #70
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Of course not all cops are corrupt or incompetent. The average copy wields much more power over the people than just about any other average citizen, including the underlying threat of government sanctioned fines, violence and potentially death that can be doled out by a run-of-the-mill cop. When you have someone in an organization that is corrupt or incompetent it usually only hurts that organization. When you have a cop that is corrupt or incompetent it has very dire potential. So, they need to be held to a higher standard than just about any other profession. Unfortunately, it seems like the opposite is true. The police organization protects cops, even the corrupt and incompetent ones, at almost all costs. Cops often get much lighter penalties than the average citizen for the same offense. The punishment received generally doesn't discourage bad behavior enough and makes the whole police organization seem untrustworthy. Cops being critical of other cops in private conversations is great but unless they and the organization they work for enforce rules at least to the same standard as for non-cops (never mind that they should be held to a higher standard) it means little.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #71
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Of course not all cops are corrupt or incompetent. The average copy wields much more power over the people than just about any other average citizen, including the underlying threat of government sanctioned fines, violence and potentially death that can be doled out by a run-of-the-mill cop. When you have someone in an organization that is corrupt or incompetent it usually only hurts that organization. When you have a cop that is corrupt or incompetent it has very dire potential. So, they need to be held to a higher standard than just about any other profession. Unfortunately, it seems like the opposite is true. The police organization protects cops, even the corrupt and incompetent ones, at almost all costs. Cops often get much lighter penalties than the average citizen for the same offense. The punishment received generally doesn't discourage bad behavior enough and makes the whole police organization seem untrustworthy. Cops being critical of other cops in private conversations is great but unless they and the organization they work for enforce rules at least to the same standard as for non-cops (never mind that they should be held to a higher standard) it means little.
A lot of fallacies and common misconceptions that I have already addressed.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:17 PM   #72
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

What the **** man? That was actually a very good post. I know cops in Calgary and support them as much as I can, but that guy's post was not in any way malicious or out of line in speaking to what policing represents and how important it is for good cops to help out bad cops and to keep corruption out of policing.

I've tried to take in your posts with an open mind despite it being very obvious that you have a bias either through employment or family employment, but I can't anymore, and I'm sorry for that.

I despise posts that are anti police for the sake of being anti police as that gets us nowhere, but yours are the same as those just on the opposite side.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #73
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What the **** man? That was actually a very good post. I know cops in Calgary and support them as much as I can, but that guy's post was not in any way malicious or out of line in speaking to what policing represents and how important it is for good cops to help out bad cops and to keep corruption out of policing.

I've tried to take in your posts with an open mind despite it being very obvious that you have a bias either through employment or family employment, but I can't anymore, and I'm sorry for that.

I despise posts that are anti police for the sake of being anti police as that gets us nowhere, but yours are the same as those just on the opposite side.
Ok. Your opinion. I think you took my response the wrong way and I didn't take his post as malicious at all.

I explained things in a previous post and the response was bringing up the same issues I think I addressed. That's it. No need to be offended.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:43 PM   #74
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Ok. Your opinion. I think you took my response the wrong way and I didn't take his post as malicious at all.

I explained things in a previous post and the response was bringing up the same issues I think I addressed. That's it. No need to be offended.

Not offended at all, I'm a huge CPS supporter wherever I can be, while still holding police to the highest account of almost any profession. You didn't just simply say you already responded though, you specifically said

That's not what you're claiming in your last respose to me and I think you know that. Just humour me and respond to the "fallacies and common misconceptions" in Red Slinger's post please. It's odd to say "I didn't take his post as malicious at all" when you responded by suggesting it was a lot of the same fallacies and misconceptions you've already addressed.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #75
jayswin

Exp:

Please humour me and address his post specifically as this topic is super important and I didn't see any fallacies or misconceptions in his post, let alone a lot of them.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-05-2021 at 10:56 PM.