Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #1381
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Thanks Fellas. I wanted to be sure I'd be able to watch some pretty decent hockey online when I'm sitting on a beach in January. Priorities!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #1382
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Looking at these 2 right now... http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...172&CatId=2289 and http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...19251(ME).aspx opinions anyone?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #1383
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I restored my computer to a previous time and date and that apparently has helped... for now.
Use Pidgin.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #1384
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
The VAIO is overpriced by about 350$ for what it has in it.

The HP is pretty good but it has a slowish processor for that price point. It also uses dual hard-drives which might affect the battery life. But it does come with 2Gb of memory, so that's decent.

The Dell you listed is probably a better deal with customization though.

Just my 2cents though.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #1385
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with llama64.

That HP will be a bugger to haul around. a 17" screen is HUGE. I've heard people mention that they can't really use it on a plane because it is too wide. It will also suck the battery like crazy and be heavy as hell. If you want a desktop replacement that you take from point A to point B and keep plugged in, that may be what you are wanting. If you want something more mobile and convenient, stick with 15.4" at most.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 AM   #1386
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
So I'm looking at upgrading my laptop, but I'm trying to find one with a graphics card and screen size that will be able to run my slingbox. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...bsd&cs=cabsdt1 but I was told that the intel graphics card isn't that good??? Anyone?
Whatever graphics card you get does not matter at all if you are just running anything 2D like the slingbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc
I should also point out I use it for some CAD work, VOIP (so a camera and mic is handy), and have a tendency to load up my equipment with a billion programs. Memory size is a must as well (I'm assuming 2GB) due to the amount of files I'm constantly sending overseas. Can I get something like this for around $1500?
Memory has nothing to do with the amount of files you are sending, you are probably confusing that with harddrive storage? Memory will matter if you run many, many large programs simulataneously or several resource hogging programs but generally won't matter according to the needs you stated. A standard 1GB will be enough. Honestly, by the needs you posted, a $500 laptop that has a built in webcam will get you by. Unless the type of CAD work you do is very intensive and requires 3D acceleration and uses a lot of resources and buffering...then I would go for more ram and a more powerful videocard but the intel cards are no slouch unless you are playing games. Keep in mind that WindowsXP can't use anything more than 2GB and only Vista or x64 can make use of more than 2GB of ram.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-19-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #1387
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Keep in mind that WindowsXP can't use anything more than 2GB and only Vista or x64 can make use of more than 2GB of ram.
Windows XP handles up to 4GB of RAM.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223/

You might be confusing it with how it splits that memory though. It reserves 2 GB for shared access memory, leaving 2 GB for dedicated process memory. I believe this ratio scales but it interacts with how the page-file is setup so it can get a bit confusing.

Windows is not as gimpy as people make it out to be. And given Vista's current performance, XP is probably the best bet out there. Only buy the Professional version though.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #1388
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Windows XP handles up to 4GB of RAM.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223/

You might be confusing it with how it splits that memory though. It reserves 2 GB for shared access memory, leaving 2 GB for dedicated process memory. I believe this ratio scales but it interacts with how the page-file is setup so it can get a bit confusing.

Windows is not as gimpy as people make it out to be. And given Vista's current performance, XP is probably the best bet out there. Only buy the Professional version though.
XP will never see more than around 3.2GB (supposedly there are a few motherboards that can do it, but they are rare). Even then, only the first 2 GB are available for program use (unless you use the /3GB switch in BOOT.INI) The remainder of the room is actually used for hardware addressing. Since a 32bit OS cannot address more than 4GB, the hardware addressing must also occur below the 4GB limit and that uses up some of the available addresses meaning they cannot be used to address memory.

I agree with you about XP Pro, although for my home system the only time I notice a limitation is when I want to work from home. I have Vista Business on a laptop and haven't had any issues with it, at least no more than switching between any of 3.1, 95, NT4, Win2K, XP.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 12-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #1389
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
XP will never see more than around 3.2GB (supposedly there are a few motherboards that can do it, but they are rare). Even then, only the first 2 GB are available for program use (unless you use the /3GB switch in BOOT.INI) The remainder of the room is actually used for hardware addressing. Since a 32bit OS cannot address more than 4GB, the hardware addressing must also occur below the 4GB limit and that uses up some of the available addresses meaning they cannot be used to address memory.

I agree with you about XP Pro, although for my home system the only time I notice a limitation is when I want to work from home. I have Vista Business on a laptop and haven't had any issues with it, at least no more than switching between any of 3.1, 95, NT4, Win2K, XP.
Awesome explanation! See... this is why I want to see a sub-forum instead of a colossal thread.

So the bottom line is, if you want to use 4 Gb of ram, get a 64 bit system (hardware and software)?

/is glad he bought a Mac
Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #1390
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Awesome explanation! See... this is why I want to see a sub-forum instead of a colossal thread.

So the bottom line is, if you want to use 4 Gb of ram, get a 64 bit system (hardware and software)?

/is glad he bought a Mac
The 64 bit OSs have come a long way. The only issue to running one now is, IMHO driver support. I think most common drivers are now fully supported but there will always be a few laggards.

But with 4GB of RAM being a reasonable cost, and Vista needing at least 2GB to run with all of it's eye candy, I see the question about, "Why can't my computer see a 4GB or ram?" much more frequently on tech forums.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #1391
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Just got back from Laptop depot...picked up an HP pavillion. IO showed the guy the specs on all 3 that I was looking at and he built me one that was faster, and for $200 less than what was listed on Dell's website. All in all it's pretty slick....except for the one thing that you guys pointed out: it won't fit in any of my bags because of the width. I loaded up firefox, and it seems to be running fine, except for in this forum. I was wondering if anyone knows why I can't make separate paragraphs???? When I type it out a post with 3 paragraphs it turns into one when I actually post it. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #1392
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I also can't even use the bullet function in the advanced post section???
Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #1393
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=51449

Someone with similar problems, maybe give a few things I posted there a try.
Closed Thread