Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #121
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a winger whose game is impacted negatively by being forced to play a more complex position even though we have guys like Bennett and Ryan and Backlund who can all handle those duties well.

Bizarre handling by this team.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #122
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

A disappointment.

To have defended the kid and the pick for five years only to have his development stall a year into his 2nd contract is just the absolute worst ending.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #123
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's going to be out of the league by 2021 is my guess.

The guy glides all over the ice, zero intensity, zero motor.

His one saving grace was his pk ability, but his inability to stop obvious cross seam passes makes him a liability.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 PM   #124
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Seems like a good person who likes hockey. Just has no interest in being a better athlete than his peers.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #125
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
He's a winger whose game is impacted negatively by being forced to play a more complex position even though we have guys like Bennett and Ryan and Backlund who can all handle those duties well.

Bizarre handling by this team.
What a bizarre post. Bennett can't play center worth a spit. He's barely a winger for the top nine. Complexity is not a word you associate with Sam Bennett or his game. He's another player the Flames could move and improve upon for probably less money.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #126
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joe Colborne.

And not in the meme way where he's "a more ____ Joe Colborne."

He's just Colborne.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #127
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's been horrible. Looks so lost, and refuses to put two hands on his stick.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #128
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When you look at his career progression stats wise I believe it’s waaaay too early to be dangling him as trade bait, I don’t believe anyone who says he’s currently plateaued at his ceiling.

The concept of mistake free defence winning hockey games is a lot of coaches mantra, and while most NHL’ers are there because they stood out offensively amongst their peers growing up, I think Jankowski is wired similarly to a coach thinking defense wins games. I think the ‘eye of the tiger’ offensive impulses need to be encouraged with Jankowski while most coaches are normally pulling on the reins of most players.

If his numbers grow it will likely not be at the expense of his defensive responsibility and could reach #2 center status, but if his points stay where they are he’s a versatile 3/4 bordering on replacement level.

The Dude abides.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #129
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s hit a plateau — what got him to this point is not good enough to keep him in the lineup right now. He has size, decent speed, and some offensive finish, but is not getting himself to where he needs to be on either end of the ice. His PK scoring masked some of his 5-on-5 shortcomings last year, but his line was clearly surpassed by Ryan’s line last year and he’s done nothing to change that this year.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:20 PM   #130
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a plug.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:00 AM   #131
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has definitely regressed from last season. Very sad to watch. Such a promising rookie year.

I think he's close to done. He's 25 now. He'll be out of the league by 27/28/29 if he doesn't take some serious strides. He probably has close to 0 trade value at this point.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:11 AM   #132
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What I like seeing in a centre is someone who has ability to beat you one on one. In the middle of the ice, if you do that you become instantly dangerous. Every team will defend the middle. If you threaten it, defenses lose their shape and collapse on you - that opens the ice to make plays.

Of course you don’t try and dangle 3 guys or try and dangle every time but if you pose that threat it gives teams multiple things to think about you. The centre can distribute or beat a guy.

Jankowski (all CGY centres really) need to step it up and dictate through the middle. I see him have that quick twitch ability but he’s not using it 5v5. Now that may be how he’s being coached or his role (get pucks deep // stay high or whatever)

Offensively, fortune favours the bold. You’ve got to attack defenses, break them down, to generate chances otherwise you’re just always taking what they give you and that’s probably the perimeter.

He’s got to use his frame and take pucks away - throw his shoulder or ass in there and separate the puck. Just get in there. His hands are fast, he’s got a good shot but he hasn’t had chances to show them. Pass it hard, skate to an opening, get it back and rip the puck. Be a little dynamic and more start stop in skating. Right now he’s just there. He’s got to challenge himself and have more dog on a bone to his game.

Get in there Janko! Show your skill. Watch that video and look at the hands! The reach! He doesn’t need to play outside himself but show us your ability. Others can disagree but I like him and his attributes.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 03:49 AM   #133
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hes a draft pick that should have been traded or used on someone better.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #134
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Hes a draft pick that should have been traded or used on someone better.
Traded maybe. But the funny thing about 2012 is that there’s no one picked after him who’s really a standout. Maata has kind of fallen off the map. Schmaltz maybe but it’s not a face palm that he wasn’t picked.

Now, if there was a deal to move up even a couple spots and get Hertl, Teravainen or Vasilevsky...
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #135
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames traded down that year with Buffalo from 14th to 21st and 42nd overall that they used on Sieloff... literally could have taken one of Teravainen, Wilson, Hertl or Vasilevskiy.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #136
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
A disappointment.

To have defended the kid and the pick for five years only to have his development stall a year into his 2nd contract is just the absolute worst ending.
2012 - that would be 7 years.

It is just that he apparently stopped getting better. Maybe his getting traded to Toronto hurt his psyche and destroyed his motivation.

It is like his mind is stuck in the body of the the 6-3 160 lb kid the Flames drafted.

His desire to play a non-contact game is not a good fit on a team that already has a bunch of talented players that would rather play in a no-contact league.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #137
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Joe Colborne.

And not in the meme way where he's "a more ____ Joe Colborne."

He's just Colborne.
A more bad Joe Colborne
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #138
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
The Flames traded down that year with Buffalo from 14th to 21st and 42nd overall that they used on Sieloff... literally could have taken one of Teravainen, Wilson, Hertl or Vasilevskiy.
There should be a public stoning of Feaster at the Calgary Tower
Old 10-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #139
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Had Burke been in charge a few months earlier the default truculence pick in the draft was Wilson who went at 16. Burke might have traded up from 14 to pick Wilson.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #140
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Janko is weird to me. Skill set is there IMO but the compete level and give a #### meter is what is missing a lot of the time to me.

Visually I thought he's looked bad for the most part, but his line has also had some spurts where they can control the play in the offensive zone (Him, Quine, Czarnik had one really good game in particular).

Advanced stats actually like him so far this year in his very limited/sheltered role.

CF%: 56.8%

GF: 0
GA: 7

xGF%: 57.8%
XGF: 3.3
xGA: 2.4

Shooting %: 0
Save Percentage: .833 (Lowest on-ice save percentage on the team)

Personally I think trading him now would be a mistake since it would be in the middle of a horrible shooting percentage rate. Also I wouldn't mind the Flames trying him on the wing with Lindholm playing center now. He did play there in college at times, and really his big frame and body may work better along the boards.

Personally I think the NHL has shifted a bit where you no longer need to be a huge center ice man, but you need to be able to skate. And really now size may be better suited to the boards.

If they stick with the same line framework from last game.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Bennett - Monahan - Mangiapane
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Lucic - Ryan - Rieder
You don't watch the playoffs at all?