Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #241
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nothing wrong with holding onto him to see if he can work it out but the opportunity cost in a cap world if they grab another second or first liner with the cap saved between him and Frolik. He isn't a bad sweetener for a trade deadline deal.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #242
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say the Flames should retain him. He had a good start to his NHL career, and only now has he really been stumbling. Loads of players have a poor season in their careers, and many rebound well.

One thing that I do notice is that he seems to do a fairly good job at passing the puck and setting his line mates up for dangerous opportunities. I think it is time to move him to the wing and see if the reduced responsibilities will help him find his scoring touch.

I don't know... I look at the Flames and I see strengths and weaknesses. I have always believed in slotting players according to their strengths. Centre depth is the best it has been since the late 80's/early 90's (which was way better back then, but is actually quite strong now IMO). Why are the Flames not utilizing their strength? Monahan-Lindholm-Backlund-Ryan - that's really good centre depth, with Bennett, Dube and Jankowski on the wings who are also familiar (to varying degrees) of playing the position. Backlund is an EXTREMELY proficient - if not elite - defensive centre. Playing him on the wing seems counter-intuitive to me.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Jankowski - Backlund - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Rieder/Rinaldo

Move the wingers around if necessary, and give more time to the 4th line. Ryan is a good anchor for the 4th line that you won't care too much in having the other team 'catching' the 4th line out, and Lucic is a decent possession player, not to mention both Rieder and Rinaldo bring strong forechecking/back-checking pressure.

So, with respect to Jankowski, I think it would be a rash and possibly short-sighted move to get rid of Jankowski. He is a strong PK'er, usually decent defensively (Greenway was difficult to contain and was fortunate to get a stick on that - not an error from Jankowski IMO - sometimes players make really good plays even when the opposing team did everything right), and he has proven himself to be a fairly strong depth scorer with the exception of this season. Most players have up and down years - you don't just disregard what they have done recently just because they are in a 'funk' currently, especially if the player is still relatively young or in their prime.

Sometimes patience pays off. Sometimes it doesn't. Jankowski's value wasn't huge last year, it has most assuredly dropped this season, and he doesn't make a silly amount of money given his position on the team, so the Flames can and should show a bit of patience when it comes to him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #243
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If the Flames plan on keeping Jankowski around, playing him with Backlund would be far from the worst option available. But I think they'd need a right winger with some strength and a good shot to play with those two guys. I'm a huge Dube fan but I'm not sure if he's the guy I'd put on that line.

I wonder how a Jankowski - Backlund - Lindholm line would work. It would be completely dominant defensively, for one, but I think Janko and Backlund would be good at getting the puck to Lindholm.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Dube
Tkachuk - Bennett - Mangiapane
Jankowski - Backlund - Lindholm
Lucic - Ryan - Rieder

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #244
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It may seem contradictory to some but I think all of the following are true:

1) Jankowski is a legit NHLer with some unlucky metrics this year
2) Jankowski is expendable/replaceable to the Flames
3) Jankowski has some value as a big centre with some skill and skating and defensive proficiency. GMs and scouts love big centres with skill, they will be looking for guys who might be able to rebound/breakout
4) Jankowski may be able to regain some offensive touch with an increased role
5) He is highly unlikely to get that opportunity here without a real rash of injuries
6) Waiving him or dealing him for a pick just to get rid of him is pointless
7) He is an asset that Treliving may use in a trade as he's got some untapped potential that is unlikely to be realized here

He's not bad enough that we need to dump him. However he is a prime trade candidate because his development has stalled here and he likely needs a fresh start and a bigger opportunity in order to take a step forward. I don't think Treliving will be giving away Jankowski or Bennett for pennies on the dollar, if he doesn't like the offers there's no desperation to trade him.

Frolik was expendable. Janko is expendable. But only if you get some value for him. I could see him being moved this deadline or this offseason as I do think other GM's and scouts will see more value in Janko than a lot of posters here do. One bad half year of offensive numbers hasn't killed his career potential. He'll get more chances.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 09:16 PM   #245
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Watching him this year he seems a step slower which is causing him to be out of position on many plays and not affording as many offensive chances. What he needs is an offseason regiment of power skating and first step quickness drills. They should have him work with a speed skating coach for an entire offseason.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #246
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
Watching him this year he seems a step slower which is causing him to be out of position on many plays and not affording as many offensive chances. What he needs is an offseason regiment of power skating and first step quickness drills. They should have him work with a speed skating coach for an entire offseason.
Agree. He has obviously taken a major step backward this year, yet he is at an age when he should be entering the prime of his career. It makes me think that he’s either injured, or something is going on that is affecting his confidence/ambition. All of what you have itemized suggests a need for some effective coaching intervention. Maybe that’s been lacking as well.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #247
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If the Flames plan on keeping Jankowski around, playing him with Backlund would be far from the worst option available. But I think they'd need a right winger with some strength and a good shot to play with those two guys. I'm a huge Dube fan but I'm not sure if he's the guy I'd put on that line.

I wonder how a Jankowski - Backlund - Lindholm line would work. It would be completely dominant defensively, for one, but I think Janko and Backlund would be good at getting the puck to Lindholm.

Lucic - Ryan - Rieder
Lindy on the 3rd line... with Backlund and JANKO?... my eyes are burning.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #248
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lucic - Ryan - Rieder
I would like a hit of whatever you're passing around.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #249
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, our best player on the third line. I know we want to spread the wealth, but come on now.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:40 AM   #250
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lucic - Ryan - Rieder
Would be a fabulous line following a trade involving Jankowski and Backlund.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #251
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lucic - Ryan - Rieder

Well, the point of my post was to show that this team is fairly strong down the middle. Moving Lindholm to the wing kind of erases that, though I would be all for trying Bennett as a centre for an extended look. However, that third line that Backlund will be centering would be a traditional 'shut-down' line that is capable of chipping in (as Backlund usually does in that role). That's why Dube is on that line as well - he is a smart (though young) 2-way player that is quick and can help get in on the forecheck and cause some back-pressure as well.

Scoring line
Scoring line
Shutdown line that can chip in
4th line that can play in most situations

Monahan
Lindholm
Backlund
Ryan

That's decent depth. Backlund has shown himself being able to carry a line - especially a checking line - by himself, as he has proven himself to be an elite shut-down centre until fairly recently, and I bet he would be again. Lindholm - IMO - has proven himself to be a capable top 6 responsible centre.

Let's also not forget one thing - having Backlund take the tough minutes allows for the top two lines to take easier minutes - more offensive zone starts and time against weaker competition - that will help them generate offence. I really think having a guy like Backlund as a winger is a huge waste of an asset.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #252
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
And what did the Flames get for that 42nd overall?

Patrick Sieloff
I thought Pat Sieloff was actually a decent pick in the second round -- it just happened to miss. Mason McDonald and Hunter Smith on the other hand...

Interestingly, Sieloff has played a grand total of 2 NHL games, but managed to score in BOTH of those games. That's more goals than the majority of NHL draft picks...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #253
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

TIL that the Assistant GM for the Dallas Stars is named Mark Janko.

You can't make this stuff up people!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #254
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
TIL that the Assistant GM for the Dallas Stars is named Mark Janko.

You can't make this stuff up people!
Also the Director of Amateur Scouting for the Sabres is named Ryan Jankowski.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #255
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mark Jankowski is a slightly less talented David Moss...
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #256
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He’s the new Kris Chucko Or Dustin Boyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #257
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
It may seem contradictory to some but I think all of the following are true:

1) Jankowski is a legit NHLer with some unlucky metrics this year

Is it unlucky when he's not willing to play with any physicality or go to the tough places or really do anything at all that might impact a game?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #258
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Darren Haynes is savage.

https://twitter.com/darrenwhaynes/st...034982912?s=21
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #259
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Janko unlucky when he doesn't even have 20 shots on goal all year?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #260
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

He made a line with Rinaldo and Bennett soft. He's a style vampire. Eastern conference would be better for him, as long as it's not Boston or Washington.