Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2022, 10:54 PM   #1661
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate how the show didn’t give an unearned happy ending or a unnecessarily unhappy ending to Jimmy. He got what he deserved and he was able to do what he needed to do to earn some redemption in the eyes of the person that he cared the most about.

BCS was much more subtle and “slow burn” compared to BB and it ended in a way that followed the mood of the show.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:06 PM   #1662
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
yup

i think its something people say to sound like they're hip tbh

i tried watching it and would sooner be waterboarded
This is a pretty good indication that no one should take your opinions on Better Call Saul seriously either lol.

This was definitely better that Breaking Bad which really turned into a cartoon the last season.

And Kim is never coming back
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 10:21 AM   #1663
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rhea is just fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
And Kim is never coming back
Agree. I think the interview above sort of confirms Rhea feels the same. She said Jimmy and Kims relationship was a Shakespearean tragedy. If that last scene isn't the most perfect example of a last look, I don't know what to tell people.

I feel like the longer I move away from the show, like Sopranos, the more I will appreciate the ending. I just wished, naïvely, there was a way for Jimmy and Kim to ride off together in the sunset and be happy.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:56 AM   #1664
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better Call Kim - Strawberry or Vanilla?

calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #1665
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn have said in interviews that they both see Kim continuing to visit Jimmy. Peter Gould said he would leave that up to the viewer.

From the "BCDC" in the farewell card below, they might be implying that Jimmy gets moved from ADX Montrose in Colorado to the lower-security Bernalillo County Detention Center in New Mexico (possibly for good behaviour?) which might make it easier for Kim to visit, if she does move back to New Mexico.

mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #1666
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something that makes this show so special is the details. Like the lighter @ 1:25 being the only thing in colour, a literal flicker of a flame between them. The lighting in the scene is incredible, at 2:40 where it holds on them, a harsh light softened by the 2 of them being there, so calm and accepting. Just incredible stuff.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #1667
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
... Just incredible stuff.
It is. Other than quite a few BB and BCS actors making episodic comic appearances on the Seinfeld show, you can't point a single definitive factor making this show so incredibly good. Writing, cinematography, casting, acting - it's all good, man.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 01:05 PM   #1668
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Original plan was for Kim to do the finger guns back to Jimmy at the end there, but they changed it because they didn't want people to think she was "back in the game".
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #1669
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
It is. Other than quite a few BB and BCS actors making episodic comic appearances on the Seinfeld show, you can't point a single definitive factor making this show so incredibly good. Writing, cinematography, casting, acting - it's all good, man.
[Ron Howard voice] "Hey, that's the name of the show!"
Old 08-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #1670
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

You know what is probably the most amazing thing about BCS? It's a prequel series that introduced a lot of new characters, some of whom made it beyond the original series timeline, and NOTHING felt forced or messed up the continuity. One line comments in BB turned into full fleshed character arcs, and there was real tension with many characters since we didn't know their ultimate fate beyond BB. What started as a silly spinoff show turned into a masterclass of world building, expanding the original series greatly without sacrificing anything that made it great. Very few prequel shows or movies can do that so well
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #1671
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
You know what is probably the most amazing thing about BCS? It's a prequel series that introduced a lot of new characters, some of whom made it beyond the original series timeline, and NOTHING felt forced or messed up the continuity. One line comments in BB turned into full fleshed character arcs, and there was real tension with many characters since we didn't know their ultimate fate beyond BB. What started as a silly spinoff show turned into a masterclass of world building, expanding the original series greatly without sacrificing anything that made it great. Very few prequel shows or movies can do that so well
*Star Wars seen crying in the corner.*
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #1672
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
[Ron Howard voice] "Hey, that's the name of the show!"
[Sheldon Cooper's voice] "Technically, that's not the name of the show."
Old 08-17-2022, 11:35 PM   #1673
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Something that makes this show so special is the details. Like the lighter @ 1:25 being the only thing in colour, a literal flicker of a flame between them. The lighting in the scene is incredible, at 2:40 where it holds on them, a harsh light softened by the 2 of them being there, so calm and accepting. Just incredible stuff.
I liked the one where he was confessing about Chuck and it briefly cut to a shot with buzzing ‘Exit’ sign taking up half the frame.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #1674
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
From the "BCDC" in the farewell card below, they might be implying that Jimmy gets moved from ADX Montrose in Colorado to the lower-security Bernalillo County Detention Center in New Mexico (possibly for good behaviour?) which might make it easier for Kim to visit, if she does move back to New Mexico.
Jimmy was convicted of a litany of federal crimes, and as such would be in a federal penitentiary. He would never be transferred to a county jail; the fictional BCDC would be equivalent to the Calgary Remand Centre, where those accused of crimes are remanded before and during their trial.

In reality he likely wouldn't be at an ADMAX prison either. The fictional ADX Montrose is inspired by the real-life ADX Florence (which has the real-life nickname "the Alcatraz of the Rockies"), which mostly houses extremely violent offenders and terrorists who would be considered national security risks if they ever got out. That said there are maximum ("high") and medium-security institutions at the Florence prison complex too; likely Jimmy would be at one of those, as he isn't a violent offender. Actually the federal penitentiary that Jimmy negotiated he'd serve at, the Butner complex in North Carolina, is a real-life prison (that Bernie Madoff really was jailed in) that a criminal like him likely would end up at, although probably not the minimum-security institution he spoke of. Maybe with good behaviour.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 12:01 AM   #1675
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I'm about halfway through season 3 of Breaking Bad now, and gaaaad I can't stand Skyler. Petulant twit!

Credit to Anna Gunn as an actress, and the work of the writers.
Close to the end of season 4 now; Ted you stupid mother####er pay the god-damned tax bill!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 10:04 PM   #1676
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I finished BCS the other day - best drama ever, imo. Although it's billed as "comedy", though I'm not sure why, as there were funny bits (like the boxing match, or practically all the scenes with the college film crew) but the main thrust was much more tragic than comic.

The only times I lost suspension of disbelief was when considering the ability of Saul to master every kind of law in very short periods of time, and Kim's fall into Slippin' Kimmy so quickly. Both of those are minor though. Otherwise a master class in storytelling, creating memorable characters, and acting.

Last edited by jammies; 08-21-2022 at 10:06 PM.
jammies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jammies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 10:06 PM   #1677
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Oh and also - much better than Breaking Bad, which had a Game of Thrones style debacle at the end with the moronic machine-gun car. That was like a delicious six course meal followed by a seventh course of broccoli and spider souffle.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:04 PM   #1678
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not trying to read anything on this thread cuz I still need to watch season 6. That being said I just caught up to season 5 but season 6 not on Netflix yet obviously and on demand seems to have episodes missing. Anyone know of anywhere else I can watch
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:19 AM   #1679
Ben Dover
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Not trying to read anything on this thread cuz I still need to watch season 6. That being said I just caught up to season 5 but season 6 not on Netflix yet obviously and on demand seems to have episodes missing. Anyone know of anywhere else I can watch
UK Netflix has the full sixth season if you have a VPN.
Ben Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:49 PM   #1680
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

what a great show.

I got to say though, I didn't quite like it as much as BB... though I think that it definitely was on the same tier.

its definitely more of a slow burn and more subtle show, especially the first 3 years...

small spoiler alert.

Spoiler!

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 08-25-2022 at 06:51 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman