Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #581
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Cool that both the Blues and Nationals were near dead last in their leagues and turned their seasons around to win their franchise's first championships.

Realllllly nice to see the Astros lose.

Rendon is quite a special player. Everything about the way he plays just exudes cool and calm. His swings look effortless, his throws from third take these beautiful lazy arcs but are laser precise and sneaky fast. Just incredibly huge hits in high leverage situations, really fun player to watch.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #582
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats Nationals. Pretty lousy feeling losing game 7 and still in disbelief Astros went 0 for 4 at home. This game was decided on Astros inability to push more runs across. They never threatened after the second run. Credit Nationals pitching.

No idea why anyone is discussing the issue around whether to pull Greinke. People looking for something to criticize I guess. Hinch played it right.

Incredible atmosphere at the park. We’ll get them next year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #583
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pitch count was extremely low and the next meaningful Astros game is 5 months from now. He had still only given up two hits at that point. Ride the guy and let him sink or swim. It's not necessarily why they lost, but it was a poor decision.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #584
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disagree. He hadn’t pitched like that all season. It was a beautiful effort but in game 7 of the World Series, you need to react quickly as the game changes. A fully rested bullpen, the decision was a good one. No way you let the season sink or swim on your 3rd starter.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:52 PM   #585
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The pitch count was extremely low and the next meaningful Astros game is 5 months from now. He had still only given up two hits at that point. Ride the guy and let him sink or swim. It's not necessarily why they lost, but it was a poor decision.
Worst coaching decision in a championship deciding game since the Seahawks threw at the goal line against the Patriots?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #586
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The Ewing Theory has to become the Harper Theory now right? Knicks made the Finals, Nats won it all.
We replaced him with someone better.

YAY NATS.... WE DID IT
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #587
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1189740423138435072
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 11:03 PM   #588
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1189753597291986945
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 11:09 PM   #589
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Disagree. He hadn’t pitched like that all season. It was a beautiful effort but in game 7 of the World Series, you need to react quickly as the game changes. A fully rested bullpen, the decision was a good one. No way you let the season sink or swim on your 3rd starter.
That’s not a third starter though, on any team either than these two he’s a top of the rotation ACE.

He’s a former cy young winner, who was still an all star this year.

And be pitched great this year, he had a top 10 ERA, top 5 WHIP, was 5.5 WAR for the season, and he was dominant up to that point.

You let him work through that inning with 1 out and only a man on first IMO. No reason to pull him after a walk to a really good and patient batter.

Anyways I’m happy. I wanted the Nats to win, I wanted Osuna to give up a run, and really that’s all my investment in the game.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-30-2019 at 11:14 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:17 PM   #590
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats Expos!

2nd in Franchise history. and yes they won in 94!
Old 10-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #591
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Special congrats to those in the DC area and other devoted Nats fans. I can't pretend that this series feels to me the way it must for you, but..

I have been a fan of this franchise as long as I can remember (indeed there are pictures of me at one year of age in our backyard in Montreal wearing an Expos hat..)

from those early pre-memories, to summer nights spent in the mid 70s with my older cousin learning how to score a ballgame, to 1979 when the Expos made their first real pennant push, through to the fateful day in fall of 1981 where I feigned illness to stay home and watch Steve Rogers give up the Blue Monday homerun, to the summer of 82 returning for a visit to MTL with my same cousin to watch the MLB allstar game, through my university years in MTL attending as many Expos games as possible (an era where in part current Nats skipper Dave Martinez patrolled center field with legends Tim Raines on his left and Larry Walker to his right), to the ridiculous highs and even worse lows of 1994, 25 years ago...

that was the beginning of the end of course. there were still fond memories ahead, mostly on the backs of 2 guys named Pedro and Vlad, and then it was over...my support moved with the Expos to DC but slowly but surely I did stop watching the sport of baseball in general, I had a young family, life was busy and I was disillusioned by baseball

a few years ago I made the decision to take my son with me on a road trip to Cooperstown to see my sports hero Tim Raines inducted (coincidentally as it turns out along side Astros great Jeff Bagwell)..that road trip rekindled something in me and with that a desire to re-engage with the sport I had followed so closely for 30 years...

and then this summer on a glorious July day, with Max Scherzer on the mound the Nats took to the field in the glorious baby blue Expos uniforms - who knew then that 50 years of agony was being exorcised on that day

what a fun series! what a great outcome. Congrats again to the Nats and their fans. I understand why some of my fellow Expos fans want no part of this, but I hope there is also an understanding for those of us who are loving it!
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #592
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Special congrats to those in the DC area and other devoted Nats fans. I can't pretend that this series feels to me the way it must for you, but..

I have been a fan of this franchise as long as I can remember (indeed there are pictures of me at one year of age in our backyard in Montreal wearing an Expos hat..)

from those early pre-memories, to summer nights spent in the mid 70s with my older cousin learning how to score a ballgame, to 1979 when the Expos made their first real pennant push, through to the fateful day in fall of 1981 where I feigned illness to stay home and watch Steve Rogers give up the Blue Monday homerun, to the summer of 82 returning for a visit to MTL with my same cousin to watch the MLB allstar game, through my university years in MTL attending as many Expos games as possible (an era where in part current Nats skipper Dave Martinez patrolled center field with legends Tim Raines on his left and Larry Walker to his right), to the ridiculous highs and even worse lows of 1994, 25 years ago...

that was the beginning of the end of course. there were still fond memories ahead, mostly on the backs of 2 guys named Pedro and Vlad, and then it was over...my support moved with the Expos to DC but slowly but surely I did stop watching the sport of baseball in general, I had a young family, life was busy and I was disillusioned by baseball

a few years ago I made the decision to take my son with me on a road trip to Cooperstown to see my sports hero Tim Raines inducted (coincidentally as it turns out along side Astros great Jeff Bagwell)..that road trip rekindled something in me and with that a desire to re-engage with the sport I had followed so closely for 30 years...

and then this summer on a glorious July day, with Max Scherzer on the mound the Nats took to the field in the glorious baby blue Expos uniforms - who knew then that 50 years of agony was being exorcised on that day

what a fun series! what a great outcome. Congrats again to the Nats and their fans. I understand why some of my fellow Expos fans want no part of this, but I hope there is also an understanding for those of us who are loving it!
Great post. I have lots of the same memories. This finally makes up for the Steve Rodgers game. I spent a few years following Pedro with the Red Sox as the expos completely dismantled, that led to a very special memory of my recently passed away father taking me to watch him pitch in Fenway.

Moving to VA around the same time the Nats moved here made for a pretty easy transition to a passionate Nats fan. The expos pain seemed to continue with the Nats though as I went to both game 5 NLDS heart breakers. I spent way too much money taking my 11 year old son to game 5 of the World Series this year, but winning this way more than made up for that games loss, and I hope my son will cherish that memory of being part of this as I do!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #593
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I loved the Expos - don't care about the Nats, in fact this makes me feel worse.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #594
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gerrit Cole rocking the Boras hat and basically telling the Astros to #### off right after the game is ice cold.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1189778123291811840
Old 10-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #595
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved the Expos and lost all interest when they left. I don’t really care about the Jays. I hope they win but otherwise meh.

I’m delighted that the Nats won it all. With that and cheering against the Yankees I’m a happy man.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #596
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You don't replace a guy who is dealing with someone you hope will deal. Give him a short leash, sure. Have an arm ready the moment the next hit happens, sure.

This was basically what that coaching decision was:

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #597
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

On Monday night I was going to post something along the lines of my plan is you let Grienke go 2 times thru the order and hope you get 6 innings, and than you bring in Cole. The minute they let Grienke start the 7th and put themselves in position to want to bring in a reliever they were done.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #598
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here’s what I don’t get.

They already made the mistake of bringing in Harris and leaving Cole. Nationals took the lead etc etc.

But they doubled down on the mistake by then using FOUR other different relievers AFTER that, and a 1 run deficit became a 4 run deficit.

If Cole is your best pitcher (which he is) why is he not being used in the 8th/9th? Stop the bleeding. Trailing by 1 is so much easier to handle mentally and game wise.

I’m happy the Astros lost. They beat themselves and they don’t deserve the title.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #599
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You don't replace a guy who is dealing with someone you hope will deal. Give him a short leash, sure. Have an arm ready the moment the next hit happens, sure.

This was basically what that coaching decision was:

There was a home run and walk that inning. Bringing in an ace starter in relief on 2 days rest has been pretty hit and miss over the years.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #600
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whispers have been there, but looking like shouts now and the Astros more or less admit it with their statement. Nothing will retroactively happen, but will be interesting to see if there's a big fall off from them next season.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1194351659284975616
https://twitter.com/user/status/1194348775965437952
https://twitter.com/user/status/1194361859693957122