Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #101
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be extremely wary of buying cheap 4k TVs to use as monitors; older gen and cheap 4Ks can't even process refresh rates higher than 30hz (most PC monitors are 60hz minimum).

Generally, if it isn't using DisplayPort as it's primary input, don't use it as a PC monitor.

As an aside, kudos to Mike's Computer Shop in Richmond for getting me my 805i so fast (on free shipping no less). Ordered Monday afternoon and it's set to be delivered tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #102
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Be extremely wary of buying cheap 4k TVs to use as monitors; older gen and cheap 4Ks can't even process refresh rates higher than 30hz (most PC monitors are 60hz minimum).

Generally, if it isn't using DisplayPort as it's primary input, don't use it as a PC monitor.

As an aside, kudos to Mike's Computer Shop in Richmond for getting me my 805i so fast (on free shipping no less). Ordered Monday afternoon and it's set to be delivered tomorrow.
Almost all the new name brand 4K TVs will take a 4K signal at 60hz in a 4:4:4 format from your computer or outside source as long as they have a HDMI 2.0 outlet. For computer video cards this includes all the 9XX and 10XX Nvidea cards and I also believe the latest Radeon RX 4XX series.

Here's a Sony X700D

Supported Resolutions
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4
: Yes
1080p @ 120Hz
: No
4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4
4k @ 60Hz
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4

This site reports on the resolution capabilities of it's TV reviews and seems to be the place to go for TV reviews these days.

http://ca.rtings.com/

The cheap monitors coming out of the East can be a good deal but they need to be investigated carefully before buying.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #103
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Almost all the new name brand 4K TVs will take a 4K signal at 60hz in a 4:4:4 format from your computer or outside source as long as they have a HDMI 2.0 outlet. For computer video cards this includes all the 9XX and 10XX Nvidea cards and I also believe the latest Radeon RX 4XX series.

Here's a Sony X700D

Supported Resolutions
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4
1080p @ 120Hz
: No
4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4
4k @ 60Hz
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4

This site reports on the resolution capabilities of it's TV reviews and seems to be the place to go for TV reviews these days.

http://ca.rtings.com/

The cheap monitors coming out of the East can be a good deal but they need to be investigated carefully before buying.
Most but not all. It's pretty recent that sub 2500 tvs accept hdmi 2.0a/b 444 60hz hdcp 2.2 etc

Quote:
Old 10-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #104
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Apparently Displayport 1.3 is coming/here and should get 4k to 120hz? Gonna hold off until they get there at least.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #105
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just so I'm clear...

With GSync, as long as you can keep your game within refresh rate range you will get "buttery smooth" performance? So if you want to play in 4K with all the graphical bells and whistles but can't maintain 60 FPS, but say 45FPS, a GSync monitor would make it look like it was running at a high frame rate?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #106
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, nobody has a 4K monitor yet?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #107
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, nobody has a 4K monitor yet?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #108
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Just so I'm clear...

With GSync, as long as you can keep your game within refresh rate range you will get "buttery smooth" performance? So if you want to play in 4K with all the graphical bells and whistles but can't maintain 60 FPS, but say 45FPS, a GSync monitor would make it look like it was running at a high frame rate?
In my experience with GSync (albeit, not 4k but 2560x1440), framerates 60+ look amazing, better than standard VSync (though that may be the monitor itself). You also dont notice frame drops if the drop doesnt go below 45-50, unlike VSync where the card has to play catch-up and you get little micro-stutters. Between 30-60 GSync looks good as well, but a trained eye (particularly in shooters) will still notice its not the butter-smooth look of a 60+ held frame.

Its hella cool looking overall however. Continuous syncing at 90+ frames is a real eye-opener.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #109
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I finally had time to build this thing, though not enough time to do full-blown cable management. I had to "mod" (Ie strip it of it's 5.25" housing) and internally mount my NZXT Sentry Mesh fan controller, as I prefer it for controlling my water-cooling fans (no 5.25" drive bays in this sucker).

All in all, sweet case, a bit of pain, but surprisingly my cooling hasn't really suffered. My CPU temps top out at ~80c when running Prime95 on Max Heat for 2 hours. The GPU is a bit hotter, sitting at ~58c when idling (standard idle for a 1080 is ~55c), and maxing at ~72c when FurMark Burn testing (which is still super low thanks to the MSI Gaming 8G cooler, which is quiet and amazing.

Overall, it's quieter than my last case, a Corsair 500r (though I did install rubber bushings all around), and looks immensely cooler. Here's a static shot, though I prefer color cycles to get max bling blingin.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #110
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice case!

NCIX finally received stock for my case so my Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Aluminum Mid Tower Case w/ Tempered Glass Window should be here tomorrow or Monday! Now I just need the rest of the parts. Here's the next iteration of my list...it's getting pretty solid in terms of my selections.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($456.72 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($77.38 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($185.82 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($123.88 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.00)
Storage: Sandisk X400 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($335.98 @ NCIX)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $261.23)
Power Supply: be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($222.98)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($185.85 @ shopRBC)
Total: $2048.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 15:30 EDT-0400

Windows 10 Pro seems like it's really expensive. Anyone know if it can be had for cheaper?
Old 10-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #111
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can think of literally 0 reasons why you would want Windows 10 Pro on a personal computer, so yeah it's cheaper if you just buy Home. It's not like games run faster on Pro.

Setup looks good tho, love the be quiet! PSUs, too bad they are so expensive.

Bling bling, 90% cable managed. Just need to find the effort to do the rest.

https://gfycat.com/AllFabulousBear

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #112
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I can think of literally 0 reasons why you would want Windows 10 Pro on a personal computer, so yeah it's cheaper if you just buy Home. It's not like games run faster on Pro.

Setup looks good tho, love the be quiet! PSUs, too bad they are so expensive.

Bling bling, 90% cable managed. Just need to find the effort to do the rest.

https://gfycat.com/AllFabulousBear
Thanks! The reason I went with Pro was that my current PC and my laptop both have Pro. I switched it out so now I went with Home. I also switched out the be quiet! power supply and went with an EVGA P2. The be quiet! would have taken weeks to get here. Maybe if I got SLI next year I'll get a new power supply.

How's the new case? Still enjoying it?
Old 10-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #113
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Corsair AX series are also worth a look (assuming they're still built by Seasonic, basically anything built by Seasonic is great IMO). I have a Corsair AX currently.

Power supply is the one place I never ever cheap out, a poor power supply can cause a bunch of problems that don't look like a power supply problem (not saying you're cheaping out, just a general comment).

Here's a decent list of the stuff, in case you can find a better deal on a different good one.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html

EDIT: Or of course this: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...at&recatnum=13
Old 10-16-2016, 12:50 AM   #114
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Corsair AX series are also worth a look (assuming they're still built by Seasonic, basically anything built by Seasonic is great IMO). I have a Corsair AX currently.

Power supply is the one place I never ever cheap out, a poor power supply can cause a bunch of problems that don't look like a power supply problem (not saying you're cheaping out, just a general comment).

Here's a decent list of the stuff, in case you can find a better deal on a different good one.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html

EDIT: Or of course this: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...at&recatnum=13
Thanks photon! The one I got, the EVGA Supernova P2, is listed as a Tier 1. It's made by Super Flower. It was actually a pretty decent price too...only $139.99 with a $10.00 mail in rebate.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #115
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I have the EVGA 1050 Supernova GS (silent). It's Gold rated and a pretty stellar box.

Still enjoying the case, it's so mesmerizing. Got my Corsair screw bolts to attach another set of fans to my rad, and brought down my CPU load temps by 4. They're those super nice mag-lev fans though, so they didn't add any noise.

Quote:
Old 10-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #116
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Started ordering pieces for my gaming PC about 2 weeks ago and I've ordered all my parts (except the SSD) yesterday.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($305.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($210.38 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($234.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($554.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($185.73 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($112.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Enermax UCTVS12P-W 76.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($17.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: Enermax UCTVS12P-W 76.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($17.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: Enermax UCTVS12P-R 76.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($14.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: Enermax UCTVS12P-R 76.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($14.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1950.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-16 14:10 EDT-0400

Only piece that's missing is my SSD, which I currently have set to Samsung 950 PRO on PCPartPicker. I'm waiting for the Samsung 960 EVO 250GB to be released (which is supposed to be released in October) so I might be waiting for a couple more weeks.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #117
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

That thing will be a monster!

Hey, has anyone had any success with Newegg's $25 off Masterpass deal? It's very finicky, as in if the format of your address or name doesn't match 100% from masterpass and newegg, then the promo won't work.

There is a killer deal for a 1060 3gb gpu right now that I'm trying to get to go through...
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #118
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
That thing will be a monster!

Hey, has anyone had any success with Newegg's $25 off Masterpass deal? It's very finicky, as in if the format of your address or name doesn't match 100% from masterpass and newegg, then the promo won't work.

There is a killer deal for a 1060 3gb gpu right now that I'm trying to get to go through...
Excited to put this thing together!

I used Newegg's $25 Masterpass deal without any problem. I was on the Newegg US site and shipped to US though.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #119
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesPuck12 View Post
Excited to put this thing together!

I used Newegg's $25 Masterpass deal without any problem. I was on the Newegg US site and shipped to US though.
Ahh I put way too much time into trying to save $25... defintiely not worth $25!

I'll probably just buy it and move on.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #120
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It has begun!!!!!

Spoiler!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post: