Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #941
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not PC, but want

https://twitter.com/user/status/1150173931799744514

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #942
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hi CP

I had reached out last year to CP, but I ended up putting my PC update on hold due to changing finances. Now that I'm ready for a new computer, I just wanted an opinion on this pre-built computer. I'm not a hard core gamer, but was looking for something that can play a huge back of log of games I have been meaning to play, and also last for several years. I was really interested in the current AMD vs Intel discussion on this thread, so I think I might switch over to AMD.

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-computer-t...82E16883102696

Any advice would be appreciated

Sincerely,

LChoy
Old 07-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #943
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Master race of cp...

Im setting up a home office. I need a 27" monitor that has good enough refresh rate to enjoy the odd game, but I'm mostly looking for good colour and text replication. Budget is max 400. Suggestions please
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #944
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChoy View Post
Hi CP

I had reached out last year to CP, but I ended up putting my PC update on hold due to changing finances. Now that I'm ready for a new computer, I just wanted an opinion on this pre-built computer. I'm not a hard core gamer, but was looking for something that can play a huge back of log of games I have been meaning to play, and also last for several years. I was really interested in the current AMD vs Intel discussion on this thread, so I think I might switch over to AMD.

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-computer-t...82E16883102696

Any advice would be appreciated

Sincerely,

LChoy
That’s a good price for that system. As with any pre-built you’re taking a chance that parts like the motherboard and power supply are crappy, but it’s going to cost you at least $100 more to build yourself with quality parts.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #945
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Master race of cp...

Im setting up a home office. I need a 27" monitor that has good enough refresh rate to enjoy the odd game, but I'm mostly looking for good colour and text replication. Budget is max 400. Suggestions please
ASUS Full HD 1080p 144Hz 1ms DP HDMI DVI Eye Care Gaming LED-Lit Monitor 27" (VG278Q) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074JLD4HZ/..._GGrnDb1RXFG8M
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #946
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So a bit of a tip, sharing what I learned.

I've been having a little trouble lately, where my drive would spin up to 100% and my system would grind to a half and I'd have to restard.

I ran a check on my disk and had no hard drive errors, I ran virus scans and spy/malware scans and they came up empty.

I did some checking and found some things to try.

First thing I did was turn off Windows Search in Windows 10, I found out that it can get buggy and spin your drive up.

the other thing that I did was download Driver Booster and had it scan my drivers and update them all. It found about 17 drivers including the IDE driver that were old and outdated and did a mass update.

Now my system works fine, no spin ups in the last two days, and its much quicker.

Just an FYI

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #947
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow tonnes of my Surface drivers were out of date thanks CC
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #948
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow tonnes of my Surface drivers were out of date thanks CC
Hmmm, wonder if that's worth trying to resolve my Arc Mouse disconnect issue?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #949
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, sure isn't. In fact, it seems to have caused a number of problems. MS Surface now bluescreens the second I attach the keyboard.

Thankfully nothing overly important on it as now it needs to be rolled back a bunch or reset.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 07-23-2019 at 10:06 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #950
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone doing server work on CP, the dual 64-core EPYC platform launch yesterday was huge. Review from Anandtech.

Quote:
For those with little time: at the high end with socketed x86 CPUs, AMD offers you up to 50 to 100% higher performance while offering a 40% lower price. Unless you go for the low end server CPUs, there is no contest: AMD offers much better performance for a much lower price than Intel, with more memory channels and over 2x the number of PCIe lanes. These are also PCIe 4.0 lanes. What if you want more than 2 TB of RAM in your dual socket server? The discount in favor of AMD just became 50%.

So has AMD done the unthinkable? Beaten Intel by such a large margin that there is no contest? For now, based on our preliminary testing, that is the case. The launch of AMD's second generation EPYC processors is nothing short of historic, beating the competition by a large margin in almost every metric: performance, performance per watt and performance per dollar.

Analysts in the industry have stated that AMD expects to double their share in the server market by Q2 2020, and there is every reason to believe that AMD will succeed. The AMD EPYC is an extremely attractive server platform with an unbeatable performance per dollar ratio.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14694...pyc-2nd-gen/15
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #951
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to question why someone would want to run a server on x86 architecture.

I guess lots of companies use Linux server platforms but anything running Windows Server (lol) and NUMA won't want to use x86.

A lot of people have moved to the 64-bit Azure platform as well as a Linux alternative.

Basically the server landscape is a land of contrasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 08-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #952
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my pursuit to squeeze a little extra life out of my existing Intel Z87 chipset PC, I managed to snag a good deal on an Intel i7-4790k from Kijiji to replace my pedestrian i5-4670 non-K processor.

Pro-tip, make sure if your board previously had the Per Core clocks set manually that you change them when you install a new processor. I was wondering why the hell my nice new processor was only reading 3.8GHz per core and running virtually identical to the Core i5 it replaced. Now running 4.6GHz/core overclocked on air. Great upgrade.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #953
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just a general question as I haven't built a new PC in 12 years, but where do the kids shop these days? Is Amazon good as it is for most things? Are pre built engines found at Best Buy 'k3wl d00d l33t'?

I will use it for gaming, and want it to last a few years.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #954
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Memory Express. They'll price match anything online that ships to Canada/is in stock on said site.
Last I checked they'll mount your CPU on the mobo and test it and your RAM for free.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #955
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Memory Express. They'll price match anything online that ships to Canada/is in stock on said site.
Last I checked they'll mount your CPU on the mobo and test it and your RAM for free.

Yep, MemEx is a no-brainer, especially if they have a store in your city. Order everything online for in-store pickup, they'll put the CPU, fan, and RAM in for no charge, and they're really good about same day swaps if you get a piece of dud hardware. I ended up getting 2 dud MSI motherboards before switching to a Gigabyte board for my last build, and all MemEx did was charge me for the $20 price difference
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #956
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

100% agree on ME. So glad we have them available in this city.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ is also a good site for prepping a potential PC build. Good for price comparing and for checking compatibility between parts.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #957
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Master race of cp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
ASUS Full HD 1080p 144Hz 1ms DP HDMI DVI Eye Care Gaming LED-Lit Monitor 27" (VG278Q) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074JLD4HZ/..._GGrnDb1RXFG8M

Damn I didn't see this before. The one DownINFlames suggested is great, but It think this is the best bang for your buck monitor. It goes on sale all the time (At the time of this post it's $450) so for $90 more you go from 1080P to 1440P

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61439
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #958
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Finally splurged (for me) and bought an rx580 gpu. Moving on up from my old but very reliable gtx960. I try to keep up with three years ago.

Got a good deal on ebay. Really excited to see what I can get out of it with my old i5 3570k. Haha
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:46 AM   #959
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Finally splurged (for me) and bought an rx580 gpu. Moving on up from my old but very reliable gtx960. I try to keep up with three years ago.

Got a good deal on ebay. Really excited to see what I can get out of it with my old i5 3570k. Haha
Got an RX580 in December and have been trying to keep chugging along with my i5 2500k. It's definitely been alright though everytime I want to stream the new Ryzens call out to me.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #960
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking at getting a 2070 Super to replace my 1070 wondering if anyone has one and what their experience is. Everything online shows a pretty big improvement and right now it comes with Modern Warfare which I was going to buy anyway so its really an extra discount.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote