Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #1861
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

This week I started biking to work for this first time in 12 years. It's been fantastic. It's about 40 mins each way and I've never been happier with my commute.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #1862
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i have tomorrow off of work and i am planning on riding highwood pass tomorrow.

my question for those that have done this is - what is the right clothing combination. Can i get away with shorts, or should i go with some type of leggings. I'd imagine i will want a jacket/vest for the ride down.

How long should it take?
What side are you planning to ride? I've only ridden from the south once in 2016. It took me 2:21 to get to the top and another hour down. I did the Highwood Gran Fondo but for some reason it didn't go all the way to the top.

You'll probably be fine with shorts but might want a vest or long sleeves for the descent.

There's still been some snow at the top but it looks like a couple people made it to the top yesterday so it'll be better by tomorrow.

I'm going to try to get out as well before the road opens.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #1863
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
What side are you planning to ride? I've only ridden from the south once in 2016. It took me 2:21 to get to the top and another hour down. I did the Highwood Gran Fondo but for some reason it didn't go all the way to the top.

You'll probably be fine with shorts but might want a vest or long sleeves for the descent.

There's still been some snow at the top but it looks like a couple people made it to the top yesterday so it'll be better by tomorrow.

I'm going to try to get out as well before the road opens.
Perhaps a CP group ride of the Highwood is in order? (Non-sanctioned of course)
I'm hoping to ride it next Saturday although I have no official plans.
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hungryhun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #1864
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done highwood pass from the north side and took 2 hours to get up and an hour to get down. 35km total from the Peter Lougheed turnoff and back.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #1865
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A group of us are doing Highwood next weekend. Some are being led by Denny Morrison and starting at Edworthy at 6am. The rest of us, are meeting them in Kananaskis to do the climb.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #1866
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ltrain - we are riding from the nakiska (North - I think) side
Old 06-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #1867
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always do the Longview side and it takes 3 hours at 25km pace with the best downhill in the rockies on the way back. You will freeze at many points especially the top and the downhill so dress warm. I am sure the other side is similar but shorter and sun aspect likely not as warm so again you will freeze. It is basically over a KM up from Calgary so alpine cool/cold. Try to start before 8am if you want to avoid the crowds. It is a great ride, everyone who does it loves it! Need more rides like to keep roadbiking fun....
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #1868
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I was jealous of Northendzone doing Highwood so I went out this morning to tackle the Longview side. It was a great morning for it. Nice little tailwind to help push you up the hill. I started shortly before 9am and there were only a few people on the hill at the time. On the descent there were a lot more people.

It was 99% clear of snow at the top and probably will be 100% by the end of the day.

My goal this year was to shave off 30 minutes to the top from my last ride in 2016. With the help of the tailwind I was able to take a full hour off. 1:21 to the top. 2:27 for the up and down.

Last edited by KTrain; 06-05-2020 at 02:19 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #1869
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I was jealous of Northendzone doing Highwood so I went out this morning to tackle the Longview side. It was a great morning for it. Nice little tailwind to help push you up the hill. I started shortly before 9am and there were only a few people on the hill at the time. On the descent there were a lot more people.

It was 99% clear at the top and probably will be 100% by the end of the day.

My goal this year was to shave off 30 minutes to the top from my last ride in 2016. With the help of the tailwind I was able to take a full hour off. 1:21 to the top. 2:27 for the up and down.
Well done KTrain! You're a machine! When I did it I was 1:53 to the top. I will try your strategy of shaving off 30mins when I do it too! (Don't hold your breath for me though)
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hungryhun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #1870
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I'm jealous of you guys. Health issues have kept me off the bike since mid March. Lost 15 pounds, probably all my leg muscles gone.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #1871
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Check this out. It's my buddy Christian. Over the past few years he's been revolutionized biking for disabled people. He broke his back 20 years ago and has always been searching for a way to get back at it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBEH0Rxp..._web_copy_link

Here is a PBS special on him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1YAuWJauk8

He's a pretty incredible guy. I volunteer my time to help him build...I do it more for me though. Being around him and his family is good for my soul.

They also worked with a special effects company to turn one of these into a speeder bike. That was a pretty cool experience. I only got to help a little bit but to see the process was pretty cool. It was a charity event and it was given to a kid who is a huge star wars fan.

Here's the speeder bike
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-hV7-Xp..._web_copy_link

Anyways, out of his house here in Calgary, these bikes are being built and getting shipped around the world. It's pretty remarkable. We ran into a couple mountain biking at the nordic centre last year. The husband was in a Bowhead, and she was on her mountain bike. She was more pumped about it than he was. Don't get me wrong, he was excited, but to talk to her and hear her say that she has her husband back was pretty emotional. He broke his back a couple of years ago, and this has allowed him to be on the trail again.

Last edited by bossy22; 06-05-2020 at 07:28 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #1872
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Man I'm jealous of you guys. Health issues have kept me off the bike since mid March. Lost 15 pounds, probably all my leg muscles gone.
That sucks man. Hope you’re back in the saddle soon.

If I couldn’t ride I be the opposite and have at least 15 extra lbs on me.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 12:20 AM   #1873
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a former dealer for fuji I approve. I dont deal with them anymorw because I switched shops not because I dislike them.

https://m.facebook.com/FUJIBIKES/pho...641903/?type=3
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #1874
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
A group of us are doing Highwood next weekend. Some are being led by Denny Morrison and starting at Edworthy at 6am. The rest of us, are meeting them in Kananaskis to do the climb.
not cycling related, but how's the hiking at Highwood?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #1875
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

No clue about hiking. I've never ridden the highwood pass either. I ran it in the K-100 17 years ago. This weekend would be my first time riding it. This past saturday friends went and there was still snow at the top but they figured it would be gone soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #1876
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I went and did a testing ride for Garmin today in Cochane. The guy before me came in and said not to go down hwy 1A. He was buzzed twice by different trucks. Last week he was out and a diesel truck pulled beside him and then did their best 'rolling coal'. Bunch of #######s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Yeah, I dunno what's going on. Earlier in the self isolation days, riding on the roads was absolutely a blast because there were so few cars. The last couple of weeks though, I've had many drivers pull some very illegal/dangerous moves making me a bit more comfortable on the pathways. Some pretty angry drivers out there right now.
Do any of you cyclists who ride highways mount go-pros or such for recording your ride and incidents like this? Man that sounds scary. If someone did something seriously dangerous and you were able to capture a license plate, would the police/RCMP be able to act on it with a visit? Genuinely curious.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #1877
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My son works at Bow Cycle and convinced me to buy this bike:

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-x-4-0-review/

He has quite a stable of bikes.

You can shop for bikes curb-side at Bow Cycle - they bring the bikes out for you to look at. About 1-2 hour wait on the weekend. They sell about 60 bikes each day.

They are opening an e-bike shop in the East Village.
I also just purchased this bike.
phaneuf_train is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaneuf_train For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #1878
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I would expect still wet / snowy. The highway only just cleared to the top the other day.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #1879
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

With bike sales going through the roof there are going to be a bunch of new cyclists on the roads/trails/paths. Here's a good message from Phil Gaimon, an ex-pro cyclist, for new and experienced riders.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #1880
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

never did post anything about my assault on highwood pass.....did the 36km from the north gate (right at the intersection of highway 40 and smith dorrian) to a little past the summit. moving time was 1hr56m. my top speed on the way down was about 67kph as i managed my speed as i figured a crash would not be fun. would ahve been ncie to get up to 70 - but next.

next time i think i will ahve a go from the south.

speaking of new riders i really want to smack my head lately - it is great that there are a nlot of new riders out there but i see a lot of riders and wonder what are you doing. i ride my mtn bike a lot in the bow bottom flats area as there is some decent singletrack there and it is easy access for me. i have seen groups of cyclists dismoun t off of their bikes and go for a walk and they leave their bikes blocking the trail on blind corners. also saw an older grandparent couple, no helmets, riding bikes with baskets on the front on the single track.....

hoping that this week stays dry and my wife has signed up for a intro to mtn biking course in canmore on saturday. my plan is to ride somewhere in Canmore during the day while she is at the course.