Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #2861
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
My friend who is in the process of moving to Kimberley reports that Kimberley GC has lost six greens over the winter and Bootleg Gap has lost all of them.

This is from Bootlegs Website.

During the course closure, we will take this opportunity to complete an overseeding program to all of our putting surfaces. This program requires intensive overseeding with T1 Bent grass and appropriate water and fertilizer applications. Unfortunately, in order for this plan to be effective, we cannot allow traffic onto the greens. Due to the current heightened risk levels of COVID-19 and this overseeding program, we have re-scheduled our opening date for June 26th, 2020.
That's unfortunate about Bootleg, it was (in my opinion) one of the best values in the area, and Cranbrook in general is way better value than Invermere for golf to begin with.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #2862
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That's unfortunate about Bootleg, it was (in my opinion) one of the best values in the area, and Cranbrook in general is way better value than Invermere for golf to begin with.
Bootleg is my favorite course in the area. We golf down that way four or five times a year. Great area for a get away golf trip.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #2863
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Anyone ever played Fernie? I might head out next week, maybe hit Crowsnest Pass/Fernie and then maybe Kimberly.
I've played Fernie a couple times, it's a fun course. Not as good as Crowsnest Pass or some courses in Kimberley/Cranbrook, but it's worth a stop in.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #2864
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mickelson National is open for public play, $110 a round during weekdays. Not sure if it is worth the price.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #2865
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Mickelson National is open for public play, $110 a round during weekdays. Not sure if it is worth the price.
Walking or riding? Though I’m not sure it would be worth either at that price.

Is it still called Mickelson National? Last I heard he was trying to pull his name.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #2866
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Walking or riding? Though I’m not sure it would be worth either at that price.

Is it still called Mickelson National? Last I heard he was trying to pull his name.
https://www.mickelsonnational.com/

Yes it is still Mickelson National. It doesn't say if $110 is riding or walking on the website. Share price is $23.9K and looks like they couldn't sell out their membership in this market.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #2867
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
https://www.mickelsonnational.com/

Yes it is still Mickelson National. It doesn't say if $110 is riding or walking on the website. Share price is $23.9K and looks like they couldn't sell out their membership in this market.
I believe it is an additional $20 per person for carts. I don't think Mickelson National is worth that price. I tried it last summer when they had 11 of their holes ready and it is a beautiful course but I found it too gimmicky and too challenging. I found that they went overboard with sharing with fairways and greens to the point where I did not have a single flat lie and some of my putts were laughable. I would spend my money elsewhere.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #2868
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I believe it is an additional $20 per person for carts. I don't think Mickelson National is worth that price. I tried it last summer when they had 11 of their holes ready and it is a beautiful course but I found it too gimmicky and too challenging. I found that they went overboard with sharing with fairways and greens to the point where I did not have a single flat lie and some of my putts were laughable. I would spend my money elsewhere.

It's already a tricky layout, but to have punishing long grass lining the fairways is just torture.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #2869
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

$110 makes it easily the most expensive course in the area. I might play it once but no way am I playing regularly at that price with all of the other options around.

You can play Redwood Meadows, Kananaskis, Valley Ridge for 3/4 of the price and those courses are just as good, if not better.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #2870
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played Apple Creek for the first time yesterday. $76.50 with a cart on a weekend is a pretty fair price for what you get, I suppose. A couple of challenging holes but mostly just wide open like a farmers field. It reminds me of Heather Glen. Would recommend for beginners or casual golfers who don't want to pay Calgary prices. The layout is just bizarre and it goes back and forth and crosses over a few times.

There's way more water than Heather Glen and a lot of natural areas that you can't walk in to retrieve your ball. Despite what I've heard about mosquitoes, I did not encounter any. Maybe too early in the season.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #2871
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple Creek is good value for a Calgary course, I've played a few times and don't mind it at all. My only dislike is the greens themselves, they are largely of the inverted saucer shape if memory serves so you have to hit them on target, there is no running the ball onto the green which makes long iron shots difficult.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #2872
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Apple Creek is good value for a Calgary course, I've played a few times and don't mind it at all. My only dislike is the greens themselves, they are largely of the inverted saucer shape if memory serves so you have to hit them on target, there is no running the ball onto the green which makes long iron shots difficult.
Yeah, on almost every approach shot, I felt that if I missed the target, I was totally screwed. Haha.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #2873
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
$110 makes it easily the most expensive course in the area. I might play it once but no way am I playing regularly at that price with all of the other options around.

You can play Redwood Meadows, Kananaskis, Valley Ridge for 3/4 of the price and those courses are just as good, if not better.
I think the idea is that it's an opportunity to play what was going to be and likely will be a fully private course.

I think many would jump at the opportunity to play an Earl Grey or a Glencoe as general public without knowing a member, even if it was $110+.

I felt it was fairly unique when I played the preview holes. I suck and scored pretty well so I don't think it's as challenging as suggested.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #2874
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone played Boulder Creek since the new owners took over?

I'm hoping to get out there to show my support.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #2875
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Has anyone played Boulder Creek since the new owners took over?

I'm hoping to get out there to show my support.

Yeah, it was in great shape (for what it is) and the new management team is very present and engaging with everyone. It was an excellent experience and only $58 with cart during the week (I think a little more for weekends).

Not sure about actual influx of cash, but visually they have staff everywhere, working on anything and everything, which is always a good sign.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #2876
jayswin

Exp:

But man, leave yourself an extra ten mins to get through langdon. They tore up the main road straight down to uneven dirt, so you just plod along at 10-20kms an hour for a few km's, as the course is on the south side.

Unless you're coming from 22X then you're fine.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #2877
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I played there last year and I thought they butchered the course. Will wait a few years before I go back.

I really liked what they did with hole 5 so you don't have to hit down that hill anymore. I didn't like what they did to hole 6, they took the uniqueness and fun out of it. Hole 9 was cool to see and play as that fix was long overdue.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #2878
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any recommendations for golf courses around Victoria or Sooke on the island? Heading out there in a couple weeks and going to bring my clubs to play a couple rounds.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #2879
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, it was in great shape (for what it is) and the new management team is very present and engaging with everyone. It was an excellent experience and only $58 with cart during the week (I think a little more for weekends).

Not sure about actual influx of cash, but visually they have staff everywhere, working on anything and everything, which is always a good sign.

I'll have to play here. I work next to Heatherglen and I'm already sick of it after two rounds, haha
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #2880
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I think the idea is that it's an opportunity to play what was going to be and likely will be a fully private course.
This is true. But in this economy and with many clubs like Priddis charging less than 24K share price, it'll probably be a long time before MN becomes full private.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow