Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #481
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Guys, does anyone know a way to watch Peters’ post-game interview online?
Flames Facebook page

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #482
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
One thing I noticed yesterday that, Flames very few times skated out with puck of their zone. D stuck own zone or just shoot to center for a tip. Need more help from Forwards.
And I put Jankowski with Gaudreau and Lindholm. Our 1st line was the weak link against McKinnon, so Jankowski and Lindholm may help to slow their big guys a little bit as these two plays well in PK.
Scratch Neal. Put Czar with Backlund and Tkachuk and hope that is our scoring line to get some goals.
Bennett-Monahan-Frolik needs to outscore matching lines or at least have some circle going in O zone.
Put Brodie with Gio on 5 on 5, but put Hanifin in PP2 instead of Brodie.
Valimaki with Andersen. Valimaki will help to get some goals.
Totally agree with everything you listed. I think these would all be good adjustments. Neal needs to sit when Colorado has last change. He could slot back in Calgary home games but you can't risk him trying to cover Mackinnons line. Valimaki in for Fantenburg also makes a lot of sense as he's a much better skater and can also hit.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #483
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If I can make predictions based on what I think Peters will do, and not necessarily my own feelings I'd say we see small changes.

Valimaki & Czarnik come in. Fantenberg & Neal come out.

Brodie goes back to playing with Gio.

Smith stays in the net.

We start with our usual lines and go from there. Curious to see if anything comes from the media availability this afternoon.
Similar to Darren Haynes suggestion today in The Athletic although he has Frolik sitting for Czarnik on the basis that Hathaway even after taking a bad penalty has been integral on the PK and given the amount of powerplays that is important.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #484
djmichaelk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Okay from what I have scene in 3 games the Avs want it more!. If the Flames really want it they will find a way but it seems to me the mojo is lost and honestly I feel that it will be 3-1 Avs Thursday morning. I sure hope flames prove me wrong and also we need to get rid of that “ believe” slogan we are first in the West not the 8th seed.
djmichaelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #485
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Monahan is trying but this game style doesn't help him. He is not good at forecheck, can't win a boardbattle, and not fast. He needs to go O zone with puck or with Gaudreau. Yesterday Monahan looks lost in the middle of the game. Don't know where to go when they defending and always late for O zone.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #486
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Flames need to play like their season is on the line tomorrow, because it probably is.

Win and you steal home ice back, making it a best of 3 with 2 games at home.

Lose and the team is done no doubt about it. An embarrassing 1st round loss would kill my interest in making video highlights anymore.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #487
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
An embarrassing 1st round loss would kill my interest in making video highlights anymore.
The stakes have never been greater.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #488
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Last night is what happens when the Avs get the matchup they want. They want MacKinnon's line out there against Monahan's line. If Peters keeps that line together they'll get exploited again tomorrow. Gaudreau-Monahan need to be split up. Gaudreau needs to be out there with guys willing to play physical and create space. Monahan needs wingers who back check because he won't. He also needs wingers with speed, since his line is going to get the MacKinnon matchup because Bednar knows he's the weak link. Neal is also a guy the Avs like to play against, clearly.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #489
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Such a disappointing game considering the Avs did the exact same thing that led to them being the better team in game two and the Flames had no adjustments for it coming into game three. Still letting them attack with speed through the neutral zone by giving up the blue lines easily which I think can be attributed to the huge gap between the forwards and the D. Another thing that's got them into trouble in each of the three games is taking many consecutive penalties at various points in each contest. It gets the team out of their roll the lines mentality (which is when they are at their best).

Hopefully Peters dresses this team down and gets them back to playing like we know they can (as a cohesive team making crisp passes and not a bunch of individuals running around). Key to game 4 will be keeping their emotions in check (both nerves about needing to win game four, and anger at being embarrassed yesterday), closing the gap between forwards and the D through the neutral zone (to slow down the Avs), and not giving up each blue line so easily. Force the Avs to make good passes to go up the ice instead of letting their burners leg the puck through all three zones.

I like the idea of a few lineup changes as well. Perhaps bringing in Dube and/or Valimaki or moving Lindholm down to center the third line and Bennett up to line one to wake up our top guys. I don't think Neal is getting scratched (sunk cost fallacy) but I think the line he's on needs less ice time. If Lindholm remains on the top line I think Frolik should see his PK time so it frees him up to focus on getting back to scoring.

This is maybe their third dose of adversity this season (first two being the Pens beat down and the March losing streak letting San Jose catch them for the division lead). Each time they responded well and rattled off a win streak, so here's hoping third times the charm and this trend continues. If they lose game four I don't think they win the series. Take this thing back to Calgary as a best of three with home ice and I still like their chances. GFG!
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #490
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN10 View Post
Such a disappointing game considering the Avs did the exact same thing that led to them being the better team in game two and the Flames had no adjustments for it coming into game three. Still letting them attack with speed through the neutral zone by giving up the blue lines easily which I think can be attributed to the huge gap between the forwards and the D. Another thing that's got them into trouble in each of the three games is taking many consecutive penalties at various points in each contest. It gets the team out of their roll the lines mentality (which is when they are at their best).

Hopefully Peters dresses this team down and gets them back to playing like we know they can (as a cohesive team making crisp passes and not a bunch of individuals running around). Key to game 4 will be keeping their emotions in check (both nerves about needing to win game four, and anger at being embarrassed yesterday), closing the gap between forwards and the D through the neutral zone (to slow down the Avs), and not giving up each blue line so easily. Force the Avs to make good passes to go up the ice instead of letting their burners leg the puck through all three zones.

I like the idea of a few lineup changes as well. Perhaps bringing in Dube and/or Valimaki or moving Lindholm down to center the third line and Bennett up to line one to wake up our top guys. I don't think Neal is getting scratched (sunk cost fallacy) but I think the line he's on needs less ice time. If Lindholm remains on the top line I think Frolik should see his PK time so it frees him up to focus on getting back to scoring.

This is maybe their third dose of adversity this season (first two being the Pens beat down and the March losing streak letting San Jose catch them for the division lead). Each time they responded well and rattled off a win streak, so here's hoping third times the charm and this trend continues. If they lose game four I don't think they win the series. Take this thing back to Calgary as a best of three with home ice and I still like their chances. GFG!
I thought exactly the same thing - this team has had crunches before and responded, so let's see what they can do.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:27 PM   #491
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Lose and the team is done no doubt about it. An embarrassing 1st round loss would kill my interest in making video highlights anymore.

I mean, I get the emotion of it, but is it that embarrassing?

Colorado has one of the top 5 best players in the NHL, and some amazing pieces around him. This was not a team that could be taken lightly, and not an easy out, no matter how the regular season went.

This is the first time this young Flames team has been in the play-offs with the pressure of expectation of them. Sometimes it takes a season or two to get that hang of things.

Or throw the baby out with the bathwater. The schadenfreude will get me through the off season.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:27 PM   #492
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Last night is what happens when the Avs get the matchup they want. They want MacKinnon's line out there against Monahan's line. If Peters keeps that line together they'll get exploited again tomorrow. Gaudreau-Monahan need to be split up. Gaudreau needs to be out there with guys willing to play physical and create space. Monahan needs wingers who back check because he won't. He also needs wingers with speed, since his line is going to get the MacKinnon matchup because Bednar knows he's the weak link. Neal is also a guy the Avs like to play against, clearly.
Agreed. Also the team, like most people say, is thinking to much about laying the body, putting them out of position. Back track hard on every Avs player and be more strategic in who your really going after physically.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #493
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post

Colorado has one of the top 5 best players in the NHL, and some amazing pieces around him. This was not a team that could be taken lightly, and not an easy out, no matter how the regular season went.

This is the first time this young Flames team has been in the play-offs with the pressure of expectation of them. Sometimes it takes a season or two to get that hang of things.

Or throw the baby out with the bathwater. The schadenfreude will get me through the off season.
I think the concern stems from how we’re losing. It’s not just MacKinnon beating us. We’re losing as a team getting outplayed almost top to bottom. That’s concerning. It isn’t just one area, like goaltending, that’s killing us.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #494
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Losing to an 8 seed in the fashion that they have lost the last two games is embarrassing yes. People often complain on this board that this team doesn't get the respect from national media. the team isn't doing a lot to change their minds
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #495
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Losing to an 8 seed in the fashion that they have lost the last two games is embarrassing yes. People often complain on this board that this team doesn't get the respect from national media. the team isn't doing a lot to change their minds
Not the last two games.
The last game
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #496
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Not the last two games.
The last game
Game 2 was almost as bad considering the team was at home. Smith being in god mode kept that game close
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #497
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do the flames practice today?
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #498
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

Nah, losing in general to Colorado wouldn't be too embarrassing. They're a good team.

The way the Flames are losing, specifically our top players, is embarrassing.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #499
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Do the flames practice today?
Nope. Instead they did a video session/meeting.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #500
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Remember when Monahan in his rookie season was being compared to Ron Francis? It's like his defensive game disappeared when Hartley left.
Instead of becoming Francis, he became Tim Kerr, if you want another throw-back reference.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote