Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #341
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The national media seems to have the story nailed down that one of the things Peters and Neal were discussing was icetime.

If that's correct I wonder where the team goes from here with Neal. Was he really petitioning for more icetime? What happens if he doesn't get it? Hard to imagine Tre would let Peters scratch Neal in his first of 5 season with the flames, But where do you go from here with him?

Talent is an interesting thing. The flames are a more talented group than the avs but look like a less talented club. Personally I think the avs are just a faster team to a man but that can't account for the in ice discrepancy.

To me the difference is the avs are all pulling in the same direction and the flames are a loose collection of individuals. If Jake's Neal is really petitioning for more icetime I really have to call into question team cohesion and the desire to do what it takes, because if Neal was doing that it takes to win he wouldn't be concerned with his icetime right now.

What has happened to the mojo? Why aren't guys playing together, the same way. They don't feel the same confidence, don't have the swagger. Live what Bennett is bringing but I get the sense that he is playing in a different series than the rest of the teams in this series.

If the flames play run and gun with the avs they should beat them but they aren't running and gunning for some reason. Bennett is playing like his hair is on fire against a hated division rival but the avs don't really appear interested in that kind of hockey.

Someone made the comparison to them being like the 2015 flames but I'm actually reminded of the 04 flames in that they are leaning on their best players to produce but are otherwise all pulling in the same direction outside.

What's the missing mojo? I have to believe part of it is not being rewarded at the trade deadline with improvements to the group. There is no one to take the pressure off the top line. I get the sense that gaudreau in particular is feeling the frustration of not having any options out there to reset mentally; to get a fresh look.

The flames look tired. The avs looked positively rejuvenated with the addition of Makkar. I have to believe at this point this is a factor for the Flames.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #342
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames and Lightning aren’t built for the playoffs it appears.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #343
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Exactly. Maybe an embarrassing ass kicking was what they needed to help get their #### together.
The beauty of best of 7 is, when you lose one at home, you get 3 chances to take home ice back.
Flames really blew it with the first chance. Now we see what this team is made of.
Let’s hope you’re correct. I think next game will be much different. It looked like the whole Flames team was hung over and not prepared. And the Avs should be tested for EPO. They were Flying.
I hope Smith can keep it up.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #344
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Amazing that Mike Smith was our biggest worry before the playoffs. He’s playing well enough to get a team to the Cup. Won’t be this team though.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #345
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s early, and things could turn around but at this point I’d like to see Brodie and Jankowski moved. Brodie is replaceable and likely upgradeable from within, Jankowski brings nothing to the table. He’s soft and has virtually no impact on the game.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #346
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames are being thoroughly trounced right now and personally, I'm not sure it's all on the players right now. I see a lot of blame on the big line and sure they haven't been good enough, especially Monahan from what I've seen and Gaudreau had just about the worst playoff game of his career.

But ask yourselves this, if the shoe was on the other foot and Gaudreau had all the time and space in the world to fly into the Avs zone like Mackinnon and then to shoot and to pass to the trailer any time he wants. Gaudreau would be eating the Avalanche alive as well.

The problem isn't necessarily what the top line hasn't done, it's more so what the Flames have allowed Mackinnon to do and he's made the top line look terrible in relation. Bill Peters needs to start playing playoff hockey already. He's coaching like it's the regular season right now. Problem is, Colorado is the way faster team and the Flames are incapable of keeping up in both ends.

If Peters doesn't want this season to end in 3 days, then he needs to change the defensive strategy by stopping Colorado's transition. He needs to shut down the neutral zone and clog up the middle of the ice. Don't activate the forecheck, keep the forwards closer to the defensemen so they're not backing up on the blue line completely overwhelmed from Colorado's speed.

If the team can slow the game down, then this will give the Flames an advantage. Guys like Neal, Monahan and Tkachuk will actually have a chance to keep up with the play rather than to constantly chase and be behind the play. Mackinnon won't be able to wreak havoc either because he'll be trying to skate through 5 guys. Until the Flames start to play playoff style hockey, they don't stand a chance. It'll be Mackinnon's easiest series he'll have ever played.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #347
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Not in his makeup, he is very similar to Jaybo, great player, but no extra gear
My comparison was Daymond Langkow, but both seem apt.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #348
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
If Iginla is known for "the shift", then that debacle Gaudreau demonstrated in the 2nd after the club had just scored was "the anti-shift".

Honestly not sure i have seen one guy be that bad in the space of 30 seconds....ever.

So yeah he was noticeable, but for all the wrong reasons.

It's just one game but his play just doesn't translate in the playoffs. He needs space to work, and this time of year it very much disappears.
McKinnon creates his own space, Gaudreau doesn't.
But guys can create space for him, if they are driving, instead of being passengers.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #349
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I was so frustrated with Johnny and Monahan's weak plays last night. Skate into the zone, looking good only to #### it up with a super weak pass or "shot" that's poorly placed.

That was basically every shift. Why? What's wrong??
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #350
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The national media seems to have the story nailed down that one of the things Peters and Neal were discussing was icetime.

If that's correct I wonder where the team goes from here with Neal. Was he really petitioning for more icetime? What happens if he doesn't get it? Hard to imagine Tre would let Peters scratch Neal in his first of 5 season with the flames, But where do you go from here with him?

Talent is an interesting thing. The flames are a more talented group than the avs but look like a less talented club. Personally I think the avs are just a faster team to a man but that can't account for the in ice discrepancy.

To me the difference is the avs are all pulling in the same direction and the flames are a loose collection of individuals. If Jake's Neal is really petitioning for more icetime I really have to call into question team cohesion and the desire to do what it takes, because if Neal was doing that it takes to win he wouldn't be concerned with his icetime right now.

What has happened to the mojo? Why aren't guys playing together, the same way. They don't feel the same confidence, don't have the swagger. Live what Bennett is bringing but I get the sense that he is playing in a different series than the rest of the teams in this series.

If the flames play run and gun with the avs they should beat them but they aren't running and gunning for some reason. Bennett is playing like his hair is on fire against a hated division rival but the avs don't really appear interested in that kind of hockey.

Someone made the comparison to them being like the 2015 flames but I'm actually reminded of the 04 flames in that they are leaning on their best players to produce but are otherwise all pulling in the same direction outside.

What's the missing mojo? I have to believe part of it is not being rewarded at the trade deadline with improvements to the group. There is no one to take the pressure off the top line. I get the sense that gaudreau in particular is feeling the frustration of not having any options out there to reset mentally; to get a fresh look.

The flames look tired. The avs looked positively rejuvenated with the addition of Makkar. I have to believe at this point this is a factor for the Flames.
Flash, the mojo has been slowly dwindling since the ASG break. Further decimated by a team with a couple top players who can't play through tighter games with more intensity. Certain integral players who seem unwilling to play a 200 foot game at times(no defensive acumen and limited noneffective back checking).

Johnny may be frustrated by his linemates, I agree. But he needs to look in the mirror as well. As he has been brutal this series too.

Last edited by soulchoice; 04-16-2019 at 07:41 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #351
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
If Iginla is known for "the shift", then that debacle Gaudreau demonstrated in the 2nd after the club had just scored was "the anti-shift".

Honestly not sure i have seen one guy be that bad in the space of 30 seconds....ever.

So yeah he was noticeable, but for all the wrong reasons.

It's just one game but his play just doesn't translate in the playoffs. He needs space to work, and this time of year it very much disappears.
Yup, gaudreau was the worst player on the ice last night.

One of his worst games as a flame.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #352
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would go with the following lines for game two

Gaudreau. Monahan. Bennett
Tkachuk. Backlund. Frolik
Neal. Lindholm. Czarnik
Mangiapane. Ryan. Hathaway

Giordano. Anderson
Hanifan. Hamonic
Valimaki. Brodie

Peters has to try something, having the same forward lines for the last two games was pretty disappointing
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #353
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Flash, the mojo has been slowly dwindling since the ASG break. Further decimated by a team with a couple top players who can't seem to play through tighter games with more intensity. Certain integral players who seem unwilling to play a 200 foot game at times(no defensive acumen and limited noneffective back checking).
Yeah - our first line has been AWOL for months. I thought Monahan was injured maybe, but not sure on that since he wasn’t rested at the end of the season.

Sadly, we could probably have replaced our first line with any other in the league and would have been a better team over the last three months. That’s very troublesome.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #354
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, gaudreau was the worst player on the ice last night.

One of his worst games as a flame.
I would put Bennett with him, give him a guy who can create some space for him in the playoffs. Has the added benefit that Bennett may have better hands than Lindholm right now.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #355
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
So after three games, rush scoring chances are 42-12 Avalanche. They are doing an outstanding job forcing the Flames to dump-and-chase and over-pursue or turn it over at the Avalanche blueline attempting a high-risk entry. The Flames are falling right into the trap and getting MURDERED in transition.
I'm pretty much exactly where you are. Bednar and the Avs are just laughing at how easy it is right now. They know the Flames are the slower team and by forcing them to over-pursue pucks with an ineffective forecheck, the Flames have left the neutral zone completely wide open and the speedy Avalanche forwards are crushing the Flames.

Bednar is playing playoff style hockey right now while Peters is still in regular season mode. He's made it difficult for the Flames to generate any speed through the middle of the ice and have nullified any attack in transition. The Flames should be doing the exact same thing. Trap, clog up the neutral zone and make this a war in the trenches. Stop playing the way Nathan Mackinnon and co want to play, make it difficult for him to do anything like Avs have done to Gaudreau and co.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #356
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If James Neal was about winning he should ask to be scratched. His lack of speed is a complete hinderance in this series. Couple that with the fact hat he's barely mucking it up at all and I have no clue what he thinks he's doing to deserve more icetime. Czarnik please.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #357
AltaGuy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
If James Neal was about winning he should ask to be scratched. His lack of speed is a complete hinderance in this series. Couple that with the fact hat he's barely mucking it up at all and I have no clue what he thinks he's doing to deserve more icetime. Czarnik please.
I can’t believe we wasted our limited UFA chips on Neal. Ugh - free agency is an ugly game to join.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #358
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not all hope is lost. You have a rallying point in Smith and Bennett providing the spark.

Things are not ideal, but the Flames have the horses. Each of those players need to reflect deeply on what they want to achieve. The talent is there, they need to dig deep for the desire to win. I’d roll with the same lineup. You ride or die with your best lineup.

It’s a cliche saying, but it’s gut check time. Game 4 will show us what these players are made of. They showed flashes of it in 2017, but were let down by abysmal goaltending.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #359
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
I was so frustrated with Johnny and Monahan's weak plays last night. Skate into the zone, looking good only to #### it up with a super weak pass or "shot" that's poorly placed.

That was basically every shift. Why? What's wrong??
It wouldn't look so bad if the Flames weren't letting Mackinnon and company run absolutely roughshod over them. Have the Flames played enough team defense to frustrate Mackinnon the way the Avs are frustrating the top line? No, they're playing the exact style that Mac K loves, completely wide open river hockey. The Flames are trying to fight a fire with gasoline right now and they need to change things up drastically.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #360
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
McKinnon creates his own space, Gaudreau doesn't.
But guys can create space for him, if they are driving, instead of being passengers.
Sure but on that shift last night, he had space and time....and made three of the worst decisions/passes he possibly could have. It also swung momentum right back to the Avs. It was awful.

Like I said, I honestly do not recall one guy being that bad in such a short time frame and then add in that its supposedly your best offensive player.....ugh.

Good players should be making players around them better...we hear it all the time...he isn't right now and hasnt for a long while now.

Its why size matters in the playoffs too, though that was shot down all regular season my many many of the "game has changed" people. Maybe the 82 games is a bit different, but when you get into the grind of the post season, being able to hold/create your ice is so important.