Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #241
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
No.

They weren’t.

Just because they didn’t DOMINATE, doesn’t mean they were COMPLETELY outplayed.

Grab a brain, that’s a hyperbole for a 5-1 loss.

For the first 60 minutes it was almost complete uninterrupted domination.

Had Smith not had a great game, we’d have conceded five easily.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #242
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Colorado didn't carry the play in Game 1... it was a very even game that tilted in Calgary's favour as it progressed.
Agreed. They looked a little nervous during the 1st period of game 1, but they flipped a switch in the 2nd and 3rd, and played much more like the dominant team that clinched the west. The Avs had no answer for Calgary's depth in that game, as the Flames just rolled 4 lines and came at them in waves.

Tonight they simply weren't ready to match Colorado's desperation. Maybe they got a bit too smug with themselves after the win on Thursday. Who knows? Bottom line is they know they have to be better, and they've proven all year that they can storm right back after a lackluster game. I fully expect them to come out flying in game 3.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:45 AM   #243
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
No.

They weren’t.

Just because they didn’t DOMINATE, doesn’t mean they were COMPLETELY outplayed.

Grab a brain, that’s a hyperbole for a 5-1 loss.
Telling an drunk guy to grab a brain? Convince me they weren’t outplayed. They trailed in chances and shots all night.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:45 AM   #244
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Like I said, not set up to take images off my PVR. but just find it annoying that CBC has a dozen cameras on the puck and doesn't show it on an where you can see it go in, they just show it falling downwards towards the blue paint. 15 years and they still just can show a picture of the puck inside the net, or get a damn rfid chip in the puck.
The puck hit the top back corner and bounced out. If you play the youtube replay at slow speed you can catch it hitting that spot.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 AM   #245
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Agreed. They looked a little nervous during the 1st period of game 1, but they flipped a switch in the 2nd and 3rd, and played much more like the dominant team that clinched the west. The Avs had no answer for Calgary's depth in that game, as the Flames just rolled 4 lines and came at them in waves.

Tonight they simply weren't ready to match Colorado's desperation. Maybe they got a bit too smug with themselves after the win on Thursday. Who knows? Bottom line is they know they have to be better, and they've proven all year that they can storm right back after a lackluster game. I fully expect them to come out flying in game 3.
They better be ready the next game. Going down 2-1 in a series is never a good thing for any team.

It was also a concern when the total giveaways by the flames was 20 tonight, while the Avs had 13.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 AM   #246
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Hmm, I am the one with a tantrum? LOL. I just said that Monahan is not playing well. He is NOT playing like a #1 C.

Agree or disagree but don't call me a 12 year olds child. I have kids of my own that are older that that.
Anyways, outside of the goal (lucky shot?) , what did Monahan do to be in the same conversation as MacKinnon ? Or ROR ETC?

The guy is a ghost. He is no better than Neal. Completely invisible.

I can appreciate a good shot, but I want to see it after January for once. The guy seems to disappear at the worst time every year. Injuries? Maybe, but makes no difference. We need a top line C if we want to win something in the playoffs. Nothing against Monahan the person, but we need a top line C to DELIVER when it counts. Not in November and December. April and on.

But hey, whatever rocks your boat. Monny was great. So was Brodie and all of the Flames. Great game, bummer they didn't win. They dominated it.
nobody has said anything close to that...its a game man, relax

3 hours for free entertainment for those of us at home, didn't like the ending but life goes on.

MacKinnon/ROR yeah those guys are perennial winners who always get it done this time of year lol
Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 AM   #247
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
These things happened in playoff all the time though. I don't know if you have watched the 1989 playoff series between Calgary and Vancouver. That gap is even bigger and that Flames team was the President Trophy winner, and that Canucks team push the Flames to 7th game OT.

The thing I don't understand is ( and this is an honest question) that if you have no faith on the team, why spend time on a message board? Does it give you satisfaction in putting down a team most of us cheer on?
I was 3 in 1989, so no I didn't watch, but I did watch in 06,07,08,09,15, 17.

I don't think the top guys have what it takes to really lead a team to glory (1st line). Mackinnon has been by far the most dominant player in the series generating chance after chance, Johnny not so much.

Most of us cheer for? I don't cheer for them? lol. Its like you can't criticize them with some of you. I'm simply saying to be a cup winning team you have to have another gear in your game, and I don't think the Flames have that gear (hopefully I'm wrong).
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:47 AM   #248
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
What the ####?

We had a 2-1 lead with six minutes left to go. Even if he made a bad play on the first goal against, he had a clean pass on the tying goal. The rest of the time, the Giordano-Brodie pair played the game as well as they could against a freak of nature on a mission.

The Hamonic-Giordano pair got scored on for the tying goal. Mostly because Lindholm botched his coverage but also a tough bounce off Hamonic's skates that he misplayed.

The Andersson-Giordano pair got scored on for the winning goal. Mostly because Backlund botched his coverage.

Brodie didn't play a great game, but he still had four blocked shots and generally kept the MacKinnon line to the perimeter 5-on-5. Blaming Brodie for this loss is just.. ####ing idiotic.

If you want to blame a single person for the loss blame Lindholm or Backlund.
Well it's not that idiotic to suggest the loss on Brodies play. Even the panel said Brodirs Calgary's weak link then proceeded to show clips of the various times Colorado burned Brodie that lead to a goal.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:47 AM   #249
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news is the team is a lot better than we are at not getting too high or too low.

Wish I had that kind of discipline.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #250
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't get how many think MacKinnon will wear down. I don't see that happening at all frankly. He is a super star player and is still young with loads of energy.

We need to start playing with some urgency from puck drop rather than letting them keep taking the game to us.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #251
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I was 3 in 1989, so no I didn't watch, but I did watch in 06,07,08,09,15, 17.

I don't think the top guys have what it takes to really lead a team to glory (1st line). Mackinnon has been by far the most dominant player in the series generating chance after chance, Johnny not so much.

Most of us cheer for? I don't cheer for them? lol. Its like you can't criticize them with some of you. I'm simply saying to be a cup winning team you have to have another gear in your game, and I don't think the Flames have that gear (hopefully I'm wrong).
Sadly you might be right. We will see.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #252
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet but seriously the top line needs to match the intensity of the Avs top line. Right now Mackinnon is BY FAR the most lethal offensive player in this series based on chances. He has found another level and our top line hasn't. You can look to your depth to win you a game here or there but at the end of the day you need to play Johnny Hockey 19+ mins and give him a chance to shine on the big stage.

Brodie was terrible tonight. Awful. Literally worse than Stone/Prout/Kylington would ever play. 3 awful giveaways. At least peters recognized this and moved Andersson up but in my opinion the guy shouldn't even see the ice in Denver.

Bring the intensity in Denver and we should be okay.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 AM   #253
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yo was at the game and the saddledome was lit! How did we sound and look on tv?
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 AM   #254
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I don't get how many think MacKinnon will wear down. I don't see that happening at all frankly. He is a super star player and is still young with loads of energy.

We need to start playing with some urgency from puck drop rather than letting them keep taking the game to us.
Not to mention if he isn't worn down by now carrying that Avs team into the playoffs. I doubt 7 extra games will.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1117317931916902400

Yes its sucks that we didn't sweep first two games but man some of the reactions tonight are acting like we got swept in the first round. Have faith.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #255
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
The puck hit the top back corner and bounced out. If you play the youtube replay at slow speed you can catch it hitting that spot.
Yep, Youtube had the exact angle I was complaining that CBC didn't show. I don't really understand why they don't put that on TV, I think people want to see it.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #256
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

It's over guys. Pack it up. Dogs are meowing. Cats are barking. The sun rises at night and the moon rises in the day. We're done.

Ok in all seriousness the Avs deserved that one. Let's get it back in game 3.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #257
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
nobody has said anything close to that...its a game man, relax

3 hours for free entertainment for those of us at home, didn't like the ending but life goes on.

MacKinnon/ROR yeah those guys are perennial winners who always get it done this time of year lol
Then don't call people 12. OK? I know it's one game, but I am not talking about a game, I am talking about the team's #1 C.

And sure, Monny sets the standard for winning

Come on now. Are you seriously happy with his play? He has been a ghost since January.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:52 AM   #258
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I don't doubt that you're a fan CGY12, but you are one of a few posters here that genuinely come across as people that seem to enjoy being able to say "I told you so" after a loss compared to an exciting win.

I honestly don't get it. It just seems like a depressing mindset to have.
Its not that at all. I live and die by this team. I moved out east 6 years ago and still purchase rogers game centre and watch every game till it ends at mid night or later.

They had a great season, they got the results. But when i watch teams who have Stanley Cup level success (in the past), they all have the ability to turn it up a notch when things get tighter and I just don't see that in this team. Hopefully I'm wrong.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:54 AM   #259
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Telling an drunk guy to grab a brain? Convince me they weren’t outplayed. They trailed in chances and shots all night.
They were outplayed. It's playoffs, that'll happen.

Despite being outplayed, they were two inches away from being up 2-0.

It's gonna be a lonnnng two months, darling.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:55 AM   #260
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hits the back crossbar.