Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #541
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Most people here care about their team way more than you, you are lucky when things go bad.

Of course, you can't enjoy the victories as much, so you are missing that.
Actually I have the best of both worlds. The losses don’t bother me but I enjoy the wins just as much.

I’d say theres a large CP contingent who are the opposite and suffer thru the losses way worse than the enjoyment they get from winning. Don’t feel bad if you’re one of them, it’s quite common.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #542
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Actually I have the best of both worlds. The losses don’t bother me but I enjoy the wins just as much.

I’d say theres a large CP contingent who are the opposite and suffer thru the losses way worse than the enjoyment they get from winning. Don’t feel bad if you’re one of them, it’s quite common.
"We won. Well of course we did". "We lost - world ends".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #543
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The thing that irks me is the players comments after Game 2, saying how the Flames are making the Avs look better than they are.

Need to throw out this mentality in the playoffs. Game 3 was awful but really not all that surprising if you've been following the team for a while. Hope they can actually hit the reset button and make the proper adjustments for Game 4.

I'm never this pessimistic but it's hard to take any positive from Game 3

Last edited by Samiz; 04-16-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samiz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #544
Shummy
Draft Pick

The bottom line is our supposed best players are so far our worst players in this series, and the Avs top players are dominating. Gaudreau is a turnover machine and creating absolutely nothing. He was awful two years ago in the playoffs and it looks like hes picking up right where he left off. He needs to grow a set and battle through this, the playoffs are a different beast and hes showing he does not have the heart to play in these conditions.
Monny is a guy that really bugs me, he was responsible for two goals last night because of sheer laziness. There is no excuse not to come back hard and pick up your man. Backcheck hard and skate and look like you give a damn.

We have been waiting for two months for this top line to show up and its just not happening, need to shuffle the lines and hope it works because our top line is killing us, we cant be patient anymore.

Tomorrow will be interesting, it will show if Peters can make some adjustments and it will also go along way in showing us what kind of character we have in that room.
Shummy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shummy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #545
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Wes Gilbertson
@WesGilbertson
#Flames captain Mark Giordano: “Right now, they’re feeling good about themselves and they’re playing with a lot of confidence. There is no reason for us to be playing with any sort of fear of failure. Lets go out and have fun and play with confidence.”
Old 04-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #546
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames need to tone down the physical aspect. They're not a crash and bang team.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #547
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Flames need to tone down the physical aspect. They're not a crash and bang team.
This one stood out to me last night too and to me is part of them trying to prove they can play physical after hearing the criticism.

They are out there chasing hits, which is causing them to be out of position, not playing smart, and playing against their strengths.

They need to just play their game. If a hit is there make sure you finish it, but no good comes from chasing hits. Especially against a team that is quick on the counter.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #548
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love the wins way more than I hate the loses, even though it may not seem that way. If you knew me personally you would.

I guess my spirit when it comes to the Flames has been stomped on by the team itself for all my life, to not act like "here we go again" is very difficult.

I've learned as I enter my 30s to not lose sleep over it, the players don't care about us, but seeing the same garbage every playoffs I can't help but be super frustrated this time of year. Same garbage minus one 04 run, since I've been old enough to know what hockey is.

I would love to be like others and look at the positive side and have hope, but I've seen this story before and it doesn't end well.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #549
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I appreciate the comments from the players, but I see these so often I'm numb to it. Actions speak louder than words. Hell, Gaudreau said yesterday before the game that they were prepared, had a gameplan etc. A lot of the guys said stuff similar to what will be said today.

Nothing changed. In fact they were worse.

So, yeah, I'm happy to hear it acknowledged but it rings a bit hollow. I get that they have to answer these questions though so what are they going to do.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #550
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lineup changes I would make:

Fanta out for Valimaki.

Fanta is just too slow and their speed is killing us.

Janko out for Dube.

Janko is terrible. Has been for all of 2019 IMO. The guy is not a good NHL centerman.

You can't take out Brody, Neal or Monahan. The problem is that they are all getting owned in this series. Johnny is taking a lot of heat but to me the problem is Monahan. Johnny needs an NHL centerman that can skate. Monahan and Neal look impossibly slow out there.

Peters needs to go down to three lines. Janko Neal and Monahan need less than 8 minutes of ice a game. Move Bennett up to the top line, move Lindholm to the middle.

None of that will help us win this series. The Avs are way better. But at least we can lose with some dignity.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #551
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
As dire as things may seem after that piss poor performance last night - if we win game 4, we are back in the driver's seat.

Top line needs a change - Bennett to the top line. Monahan dropped down the lineup, and Lindholm at C.

Jankowski out. Dube in.

Fantenburg out. Valimaki in.

Mark Giordano looks like a completely different player right now. He is playing with absolutely no confidence offensively, and his foot speed is being exposed off of the rush. Johhny needs to simplify things, I think adding Bennett to that line will help with that.
I see we agree (although you posted first!).

This is the only chance we have.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #552
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My thoughts on the series going forward.

Colorado speed isn't what's killing us. The inability to slow them down is what's killing us. They are only as fast as we let them be.
Figure out the neutral zone, slow them down there and it won't matter if it's Prout or Valimaki defending.
There is no dman fast enough out there that can defend MacKinnon skating full flight. The guy is allowed to wind up too much. And so are others.

And stop the turnovers in the O zone.
More plays in neutral zone will neutralize their speed and create some turnovers for us. That's where we can make hay.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #553
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Dube in Stockton right now? I thought I saw a tweet that he got sent down.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #554
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Isn't Dube in Stockton right now? I thought I saw a tweet that he got sent down.
Their season finished up on Sunday - so likely see him back up ASAP if he hasn't been called back up already.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #555
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
My thoughts on the series going forward.

Colorado speed isn't what's killing us. The inability to slow them down is what's killing us. They are only as fast as we let them be.
Figure out the neutral zone, slow them down there and it won't matter if it's Prout or Valimaki defending.
There is no dman fast enough out there that can defend MacKinnon skating full flight. The guy is allowed to wind up too much. And so are others.

And stop the turnovers in the O zone.
More plays in neutral zone will neutralize their speed and create some turnovers for us. That's where we can make hay.

At this point the Flames have nothing to lose by standing up at the blueline and either forcing the shoot in, or forcing the puck carrier to make a move.

Frankly I would rather see a Flame stand up at the blueline and get beat outside, then backing off and leaving the slot open.

The Forwards need to be way better at closing the gaps and generating back pressure. If you stand up at the blueline and press hard on the backside, you reduce the size of the ice down to about a 3rd its size. At the same time if you force shoot ins it puts Smith back into play.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #556
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty disappointed so far. But if this team can't figure out a way to compete against a team (arguably 1 opposing player), then I'm fine with them being eliminated.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #557
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At this point the Flames have nothing to lose by standing up at the blueline and either forcing the shoot in, or forcing the puck carrier to make a move.

Frankly I would rather see a Flame stand up at the blueline and get beat outside, then backing off and leaving the slot open.

The Forwards need to be way better at closing the gaps and generating back pressure. If you stand up at the blueline and press hard on the backside, you reduce the size of the ice down to about a 3rd its size. At the same time if you force shoot ins it puts Smith back into play.

Flames had some success when they started standing up to the attack at the blue line. I mean they will beat you with the odd dangle or chip pass or dump in but hell they're just blowing past us anyways. Might as well force them to make a low % play to blow past us.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #558
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To me, winning doesn't mean much if losing doesn't hurt.

IMO, being a fan means being emotionally invested in the good times AND the bad...
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #559
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
To me, winning doesn't mean much if losing doesn't hurt.

IMO, being a fan means being emotionally invested in the good times AND the bad...
I am emotionally invested. I just don’t let the bad things get me down and I soak up the good times. It’s a choice.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #560
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am emotionally invested. I just don’t let the bad things get me down and I soak up the good times. It’s a choice.
The way I see it, being emotionally invested means feeling pain in the bad times that you can't simply choose to not feel.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote