Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #461
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I thought the Flames struggles before the Mangiapane goal are overblown. They were taking it to the Avs before Furlatt started taking the game over and gave the Avs 3 straight powerplays. That killed any momentum the Flames had.

The Hanifin and Fantanberg penalties were soft preseason type calls. None of those were being called in any of the other playoff games. I didn't even catch the penalty at the beginning of the second period.
The Backlund penalty may have been the worst of the three. 3M line had the Avs completely hemmed in for a solid minute+ and it felt like a goal on that shift was simply inevitible and then.... two minutes for being physical.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #462
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ninja'd this from Youtube:

ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #463
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
With how game 1 was played, I’m not sure fatigue will be a factor this series.
I don’t understand what you are getting at. In the sense that you believe the series will be short?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #464
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
I have a possibly stupid question. At the start of the game last night before the teams come out they were playing this kind of ominous deep tone over and over. It’s like one heavy note and I seem to recall it being from one of the recent super hero movies when a certain villain enters the scene but I can’t for the life of me put my finger on it. Can anyone help me out? It’s almost like a distorted fog horn sound that repeats slowly.
The song is from the final fight scene of Matrix Revolutions between Neo and Agent Smith. Ironic, that we have Mike Smith.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #465
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don’t understand what you are getting at. In the sense that you believe the series will be short?

I just don't see fatigue being an issue. Yes Landeskog and Mackinnon play a lot, but they have done that all season. They played 1:40 more than Backlund in game 1, but actually had less ES ice time.

And while game 1 had some intensity, neither the pace nor the physicality were that much different than regular season. So I really don't see the Avs suddenly getting tired by game 5. Could they last a long playoff run? That's another question.

If anything, I'm a little concerned how well Backlund handles the increased ice time. I don't believe he's too used to that.

And then OT can be another issue. If the games end in regulation, no one is playing all that much.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see this as a series where one team is wearing down the opposition.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #466
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
The song is from the final fight scene of Matrix Revolutions between Neo and Agent Smith. Ironic, that we have Mike Smith.
Actually he’s referring to the Black Manta theme from Aquaman.

What you’re referring to is Navras which plays right before the Flames come out of the tunnel.

The pre intro video and pre Navras music has alternated thru the years, often with Harvey on the ice waving a flag getting people jacked up. They’ve used In Your Honour by the Foo Fighters, Tool (something from 10,000 days album), I recall them using Beside You in a Time by NIN once or twice. I also recall them using Cochise by Audioslave in 04 but I can’t remember what for. Was it the first song played for warmups?

One of my favourites though was when they played the intro to Sorrow by Pink Floyd right before the 3rd period at home playoff games in 04.

What was the skate out music for game 1? Used to be Spitfire by Prodigy, not sure what they use now. I’m referring to after Navras when they skate out of the tunnel.

Also, we have an Agent Smith and a Mr Andersson.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-13-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #467
LostCatalyst
Backup Goalie

Exp:

When rewatching Eat Bread’s goal I’m super impressed with the work Ryan did in front of the net. He lifts the defenders stick as Eat Bread is driving the net therefore negating a potential poke check, gets body position so Eat Bread has a lane to drive around, while also providing a potential screen had Eat Bread shot it earlier (glad he didn’t)

Perfectly satisfactory there Doc
LostCatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LostCatalyst For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #468
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The playoffs essentially means HNIC every night, and ever since the introduction of the late game HNIC has always been 5/8. Always.
The first three seasons of the HNIC doubleheader (1995 to 1998) the times were at 1730h and 2030h/5:30pm and 8:30pm Mountain.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #469
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
The first three seasons of the HNIC doubleheader (1995 to 1998) the times were at 1730h and 2030h/5:30pm and 8:30pm Mountain.
I stand corrected. Cheers.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #470
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!

Last edited by hwy19man; 04-13-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #471
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Look, Transplant, I don't really want to waste my time explaining to you what "anymore" means. This isn't the CBC days where they tried to put multiple games on one channel. Like I said, with eight channels available to them, late starts just can't be justified.

And yes, if you want to do a full doubleheader, the east should have to adapt just as much as the west does. If that means that supposedly "1/4 of the country" - more accurately, less than 1/6th - misses the start of an out of market game, so be it. Would be better from an audience capture perspective than having 2/3 of the country going to bed before our game even starts.

Keep in mind that paying customers here in Calgary are getting screwed to satisfy Toronto's ego. That is not something we should just be accepting of. Especially for a completely unnecessary 8:30 start on Saturday - where you could start Toronto earlier without taking away anyone's ability to watch the vaunted Leafs. Particularly since a game starting that late going to overtime means thousands of people will have to make a decision on watching the end of the game or risking having it end after the C-trians shut down for the night.

The reason for the HNIC doubleheader starting an hour later than normal, it is because of NBC wanting that start time and subsequently NBCSN's time for the Avalanche-Flames game. The same thing happened last year with these two teams. Rogers wanted the normal doubleheader time, but, NBC won that debate and satisfying NBC's ego.

The Following User Says Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #472
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I just noticed something fairly interesting about Game One.

• Andrew Mangiapane — first career playoff goal
• Matthew Tkachuk — first and second career playoff goals
• Mikael Backlund — third career playoff goal

I think that is neat-o.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-13-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #473
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have a possibly stupid question. At the start of the game last night before the teams come out they were playing this kind of ominous deep tone over and over. It’s like one heavy note and I seem to recall it being from one of the recent super hero movies when a certain villain enters the scene but I can’t for the life of me put my finger on it. Can anyone help me out? It’s almost like a distorted fog horn sound that repeats slowly.

You can hear it in this video for the first 60 seconds or so. Kicks in about 20 seconds in. Duuuuun-Duuuuuuuuunnnnnn!

I recognize it from the latest season of True Detective but can't seem to track it down. Regardless its amazing with the drum going. Goosebumps!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #474
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
You can hear it in this video for the first 60 seconds or so. Kicks in about 20 seconds in. Duuuuun-Duuuuuuuuunnnnnn!

I recognize it from the latest season of True Detective but can't seem to track it down. Regardless its amazing with the drum going. Goosebumps!
It sounds like Westworld seven Nation army cover
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #475
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:

Figured it out. It’s a part from Black Manta theme music from the recent Aquaman movie

Awesome music to play before they come out! Wish they would of played it a bit louder I barely caught it.
This is the music you guys are talking about.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #476
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could be that yea.

I’m positive they had something similar in True Detective that was a little slower. Regardless its super creep and awesome!
Old 04-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #477
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Didn’t someone tweet the entertainment guy for the flames before the playoffs?

I’d love to get an updated playoff playlist with the tracks used.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #478
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got it! Its from Sicario, called 'The Beast'

#### yea

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #479
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Awesome. Good catch.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #480
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both so similar but I now agree that it’s the Sicario one. I knew it was from something I’d watched recently!

Love it though they should turn it up a bit more for future guys. Let’s you know ####s about to go down!
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote