Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:
Default Gluten Gobblin Gettin Grossen

Health talk does not belong in the pizza thread.

Do it here, please. Or don’t.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got some cross contamination in your pizza thread, eh?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Got some cross contamination in your pizza thread, eh?
Honestly, I just wanted to write the thread title.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Honestly, I just wanted to write the thread title.
All right

You've got something to say

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #5
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cauliflower crust is the way. Gluten free or not.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #6
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
All right

You've got something to say
It’s better to burn out than fade away.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:25 PM   #7
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never had anything gluten free that tasted good. If you don't have a specific reason on why you can't eat it (ie Crohn's or Ciliac), I have no idea why you'd willingly choose gluten free over it's much more palatable gluten option.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I really sympathize with people who have these type of conditions as it impacts quality of life and enjoyment like no other. The struggle is real.

That being said, I will stand by initial thoughts on the subject but will modify it somewhat. In a lot of countries in Europe and elsewhere where they are experiencing these issues, it's becoming a growing issue as a result of adapting a North American style diet and more modern, factory style farming and production of food sources.

It's not that these conditions don't exist in Italy, France, Greece etc, they do, they do to a lesser extent I would argue. The graph you posted I have no doubt is accurate from a global perspective but I have a feeling we are under diagnosing people here in North America! There are SOO many people that are suffering with gut and digestive issues across the board and continue to without getting diagnosed.

In a lot of countries where the traditional diet, farming, food production and other methods are followed, these issues, and a whole host of other health conditions just don't exist in the same prevalence as they do in North America.

I know that a lot of people who have these issues always swear by 00 Flour, the famous Italian flour that doesn't contain the GMO's and other items that people who suffer claim is in our food.

I see it first hands with my cousins in Greece when I visit. They can't wait to show me the latest burger, doughnut, American chain pizza etc. They are starting to eat a whole lot like us Canadian/American's and it's causing health issues. I stick to and love the traditional cuisine and a lot if the really healthy Greek vegetarian/ vegan dishes.

I am no expert in these conditions at all, but I do know food and I know how much our diet's have really changed and how traditional diet's have changed in a lot of countries. The older people talk about it daily and it's something we should pay attention to.

So nobody who has celiac is "swearing by 00 flour", I don't know where that thought comes from. Do you have any evidence for your other comments? I've seen them written elsewhere, but never any evidence, and frankly I think the notion and advice is misguided, and not supported by science, and also likely to lead people astray who should be eating GF for medical reasons.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #9
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup. If you're celiac, your body can't handle gluten. It has nothing to do with the quality of the flour, whether it was grown on a big farm or a family farm, gmo or not. It's simply the gluten.

As for why someone who isn't celiac would eat gluten free. Trendy media nonsense.

One of my children has an anaphylactic nut allergy. I wish restaurants and bakeries paid half as much attention to this issue (mainly by way of cross contamination) as they do for gluten issues.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #10
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ maybe it's just me, but i really enjoy the fact that "cheese" thanked "chedder's" post... and yes, i know it's should be cheddar, but i don't care!
Old 01-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #11
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I have never had anything gluten free that tasted good. If you don't have a specific reason on why you can't eat it (ie Crohn's or Ciliac), I have no idea why you'd willingly choose gluten free over it's much more palatable gluten option.
Because simple rules that feel like a complete life change are easier to sell and understand than the idea of a balanced and moderate diet. And it's not about the effect, it about the way you feel about yourself for having done it.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:52 PM   #12
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

i feel the same way about "meatless meat". why on earth would i want to eat a plant-based burger when a normal hamburger is absolutely delicious?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:18 PM   #13
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
papaya salad is gluten free
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:35 PM   #14
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I regularly share a meal with a few people who are celiac, even though I am not celiac and not allergic or sensitive to gluten, when I share food with them I order everything gluten free, just in case one of us is an idiot and gave someone the wrong thing nobody would get sick.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:11 PM   #15
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
As for why someone who isn't celiac would eat gluten free. Trendy media nonsense.

One of my children has an anaphylactic nut allergy. I wish restaurants and bakeries paid half as much attention to this issue (mainly by way of cross contamination) as they do for gluten issues.
I used to think the exact same as you and after months of pain, sickness, miss-diagnosis (one of which included 811, telling me to get to the hospital ASAP as they thought I was having a heart attack); I can 100% say there is more than just celiac that can cause issues. It wasn't until after an elimination diet that I found that gluten and a couple of other irritants were causing my issues.

Gluten is a protein that is an irritant to our microbiome, most people have no problem eating gluten and their microbiome will just process it and maybe make them gassy, but not everyone's microbiome is the same. There are a lot of factors that could change your microbiome, and cause it to not like processing certain foods.

Am I going to die or have serious consequences like someone who has an immune over-reaction like celiac or nut allergy? No, though our understanding of the Microbiome is in its infancy, so this could be wrong. But I'm sure going to have a really, really ####ty day (or three).

As for your second comment, all allergies need to be taken seriously, and it's about time they are. It's absolutely ridiculous, even labelling of allergies on food products is hit or miss, and may not be accurate. I can tell you that your impression that companies take gluten seriously is incorrect. I had a home-cooked meal, all gluten-free ingredients and still tonight is not a good night because of contamination...

We also love shoving gluten in everything, not even just food, but even medicine. When I had Bronchitis recently, I learned, I can't have Halls because they make it in the same factories as their Oreo Cookies and Cadbury Chocolate bars. It's fun when you are sick, to learn that you are sick to learn that Halls isn't gluten-free and you've basically traded one pain for another.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 09:12 PM   #16
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Cauliflower crust is the way. Gluten free or not.
I used to agree; however, then we started making homemade almond flour pizza crusts, so good.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:19 PM   #17
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So nobody who has celiac is "swearing by 00 flour", I don't know where that thought comes from. Do you have any evidence for your other comments? I've seen them written elsewhere, but never any evidence, and frankly I think the notion and advice is misguided, and not supported by science, and also likely to lead people astray who should be eating GF for medical reasons.
We tried 00 flour as we were told it doesn't have gluten, we won't use it again. After some research, it's not gluten-free like a lot of people claim, it has a lower gluten content than most flours, but it still has 12%.

I suspect the reason people think that it is gluten-free and solves their issue is that their microbiome doesn't mind processing the lower gluten content. Someone that has an immune system response, like celiac should not have it though.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:52 PM   #18
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i feel the same way about "meatless meat". why on earth would i want to eat a plant-based burger when a normal hamburger is absolutely delicious?
Yup. There are many delicious vegan dishes that I love to eat. A highly processed item poorly imitating the taste of meat is not one of them.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #19
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

00 flour refers to how refined the wheat is ground and not to its gluten content. It has 8-12% gluten when "high gluten" flour has 13-14%. It is definitely not a good choice for people with Celiac and it is a dead giveaway that anyone who recommends it as gluten free doesn't have a real gluten allergy.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #20
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
00 flour refers to how refined the wheat is ground and not to its gluten content. It has 8-12% gluten when "high gluten" flour has 13-14%. It is definitely not a good choice for people with Celiac and it is a dead giveaway that anyone who recommends it as gluten free doesn't have a real gluten allergy.
Most people that are gluten sensitive, don't have an allergy, as an allergy is the production of antibodies in response to something harmless. Though it's easier to say allergy at a restaurant, and I do it as well, mine is closer to an irritable bowel syndrome.

My guess as to why people recommend 00 as GF, if they do have something, is a misdiagnosis of what they are sensitive to or maybe even mental. Just like placebos can have a positive effect on your body, your mind can also cause negative effects on your body.