Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #181
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Anyone else think the blacksmith was going to attack Mando with the spear? Also, was there no a lot left from Grogu’s chain mail?
Reserve some for the Foundlings. As it should always be. The Foundlings are the future. This is the way.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #182
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think one of the difference right now is the acting. I like Morrison is a very good actor, but for some reason he feels a bit flat in this. Pascal on the other hand is that rare actor that can portray a lot of things in a helmet, he's brilliant at it.

The other issue to me at least has been the pacing. The Mandalorian always seems to move at breakneck speed. With Boba Fett, for some reason to me the pacing seems to be slow and deliberate, Boba feels more like a man of talking instead of a man of action. But even the long minutes of him riding on the Bantha or staring gloomily at people or out the window on Slave One slows things down a lot.

One thing that I really chuckled about is that Mando's armor is really Mandalorian Beskar armor. In that fight yesterday he was willing to just soak up damage to get hits because he's like a tank, except when he cut himself with the Dark Saber because he doesn't understand the weapon.

With Boba lets be honest by design his armor isn't really Mandalorian armor, he's not a tank in it, which means he should be fighting smarter in it.

Big shoutout by the way that we finally saw a long first person visor shot last night.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #183
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really kind of shows how pointless Book of Boba Fett was when they did four episodes of not really anything happening, then turned it into the Mandalorian Season 2.5 for the last two episodes.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #184
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So the best episode of Boba Fett is one where he's not even in it. They should just kill him off at the end of this season and stick with Mando, since he's the only character they're able to write interesting stories for
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #185
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I kept wondering if that Ring station was Kuat. That whole set was gorgeous.
I'd always assumed KDY was an orbital ring around the planet for some reason. probably just some fan or book art I saw once; the ring Mando was on didn't seem to have much in the way of heavy manufacturing, it seemed to be mostly residential and commercial. but yes, bring on the Dyson swarms, O'Neill cylinders, space elevators, ecumenopolises. Star Wars is one of those universes that has that type of industrial scale to make those things like standard office buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think one of the difference right now is the acting. I like Morrison is a very good actor, but for some reason he feels a bit flat in this. Pascal on the other hand is that rare actor that can portray a lot of things in a helmet, he's brilliant at it.

The other issue to me at least has been the pacing. The Mandalorian always seems to move at breakneck speed. With Boba Fett, for some reason to me the pacing seems to be slow and deliberate, Boba feels more like a man of talking instead of a man of action. But even the long minutes of him riding on the Bantha or staring gloomily at people or out the window on Slave One slows things down a lot.
I know it's Boba's age, but it's just kind of sad watching this once fearsome bounty hunter now get his slow, chunky ass clowned by aliens on the daily. Mando kicks so much ass both in universe due to his equipment and relative youth, and outside of it because he's 15 years younger and like 40 pounds lighter. or at least because he doesn't take his helmet off constantly, the stunt double can make him look awesome.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #186
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I'd always assumed KDY was an orbital ring around the planet for some reason. probably just some fan or book art I saw once; the ring Mando was on didn't seem to have much in the way of heavy manufacturing, it seemed to be mostly residential and commercial. but yes, bring on the Dyson swarms, O'Neill cylinders, space elevators, ecumenopolises. Star Wars is one of those universes that has that type of industrial scale to make those things like standard office buildings.
The interpretation of KDY differs from source to source, but usually it's a nearly complete ring of stations around the planet. In some books they talk about massive orbital platforms specifically built to manufacture Super Star Destroyers, which I inferred to mean they were separate from the main ring. It would make sense given the Empire wanted construction of the SSDs to be a secret.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 12:54 PM   #187
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The interpretation of KDY differs from source to source, but usually it's a nearly complete ring of stations around the planet. In some books they talk about massive orbital platforms specifically built to manufacture Super Star Destroyers, which I inferred to mean they were separate from the main ring. It would make sense given the Empire wanted construction of the SSDs to be a secret.

Yeah, I've seen all kind of different drawings for it, the only game that has it is Empire at War and its a ring around the planet with a lot of seperate platforms for ship and fighter construction and shuttle construction.

I loved seeing Mando limping around and all you see is up hill curves.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:09 AM   #188
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Did they also give her a much larger budget than the rest of the episodes?
I think they probably made a 6 episode show, realized it was a bit meh, so took the first episode of Mandalorian season 3 and tacked on Fennec saying, "hey Mando" at the end.

Since Mandalorian is an established hit it has a bigger budget.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #189
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

So what are the chances of Boba starting a new version of Mandalorians made up of outcasts? Basically F all these stupid rules, lets just go kick some ass.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:26 AM   #190
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
So what are the chances of Boba starting a new version of Mandalorians made up of outcasts? Basically F all these stupid rules, lets just go kick some ass.

Actually the group that Mando is part of are kind of the radical off shoots. They're not Death Watch by any stretch. But they would literally be the evangelical arm of the Mandalorian religion.

Boba Fett and his father are true Mandalorians, We've seen Jango remove his helmet all the time as well as Boba. Same with Bot Katan and her group, even Death Watch and Clan Visla and Clan Wren all removed their helmet all the time.

There's a reason why there were only three left and now two. They're the nutball trumpites of the Mandalorian clan structure.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #191
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
... the problem is that our titular protagonist from The Mandalorian and Boba Fett are basically one and the same in characterization: the "bad-ass bounty hunter with a heart of gold". It is somewhat formulaic and clichéd.
Quoting myself for posterity. The last episode really drove this home, insofar as this was probably the most interesting episode of the season and Boba wasn't even in it. He doesn't need to be, if Mando is in it, because they're basically interchangeable.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #192
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Quoting myself for posterity. The last episode really drove this home, insofar as this was probably the most interesting episode of the season and Boba wasn't even in it. He doesn't need to be, if Mando is in it, because they're basically interchangeable.
Except that Mando actually is a badass, not some old retiree pretending to be
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #193
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Except that Mando actually is a badass, not some old retiree pretending to be
Boba power ratings
Street brawler - 5/10
Mafia boss - 4/10
Raid leader that gets most friendlies killed - 10/10
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:11 PM   #194
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I see I'm not alone in finally getting excited for the next episode now that Mando is back.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:13 PM   #195
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Book Count: 0

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 01-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #196
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

"I am a Mandalorian. Weapons are part of my religion."

I like how the droid was concerned about the weapons but let him carry his fueled up jet pack onto the ship.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 01-29-2022, 02:33 PM   #197
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really liking this series.

I also really like the Star Wars intro where it scans through all the different droids. I don't know why I like it, but I do.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:23 PM   #198
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance Boba Fett takes back an episode from The Mandalorian S3?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:29 PM   #199
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I see I'm not alone in finally getting excited for the next episode now that Mando is back.
I am going to guess that he isn’t back for the next one and this was simply a 1 episode thing- ie. his line about going to see a little friend first, possibly where season 3 picks up. I think the next episode of BF will simply continue on from episode 4 with little or no mention of Mando.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-29-2022 at 08:31 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:56 PM   #200
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm betting he shows up at the end of Episode 7. Boba is lying there bleeding half to death, his armor is broken. Some Pike Assasin stands over him and starts swinging a axe or sword or aims his gun.

Then gets wasted by the Whistling Birds.

"Then we see Mando"

Cue credits.