Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #121
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

For a lighthearted storyline I liked, look no further than Wags. I was wondering why they were wasting time with his love life. It turning out to be a revenge plot to have sex with that guys daughter was hilarious.

Albeit the execution was pretty cheesy at the end there.

I’m also curious what they’re doing with Taylor and the esg girl. I like how she has balls and this neat relationship with Taylor. I thought maybe we were gonna get a love triangle with them plus the IR girl but so far it just seems to be someone who Taylor can bounce ideas off of. Or maybe as a foil because he esg girl is stubborn and unconcerned with consequences like Taylor? Maybe she helped push Taylor over the edge on axe.

Either way, I’m not sure what they’re setting up there. Or where they’re going with that.

Chuck’s assistant, or whatever she is, continues to be one of my favourites but they haven’t developed her enough. She’s always there but never gets enough of a story to become a fully rounded character. She was on the video chat but I don’t think she even spoke once.

They need to tone it down with Spiros. He gets way too much screen time and it only sticks about 25% of the time.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-01-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #122
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Taylor is kind of lost in this whole thing now. I think she's one of the worst characters.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #123
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Also a bit disappointed with S5 so far. Sucks that many shows tail off like this. Even some of the best have suffered through this - The Wire, GOT
Did you really just try to compare the last seasons of The Wire and Game of Thrones? One is regarded as one of the worst series ending seasons of all time and killed a cultural phenomenon overnight. The other, while a slight step down, was still a fantastic season with a great series finale. The worst season of the Wire is still better than most other TV series best season
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #124
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Chuck’s assistant, or whatever she is, continues to be one of my favourites but they haven’t developed her enough. She’s always there but never gets enough of a story to become a fully rounded character. She was on the video chat but I don’t think she even spoke once.
*Kate Sacker

#### yes, I agree whole heartedly. She's been my favorite character since day 1, but gets so little plot to even play with. Not only does she chew scenery when she's given the chance, but she's incredibly gorgeous on top of that. It's a nice combination.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #125
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think the finale was amazing, but they are definitely not playing to the strength of the storylines they have developed so far.

Show could go either way from now on.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #126
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oof. What a disaster of a finale.

I like where they were going and I like how Prince set this up to use Chuck and how he presents a new villain but my god did they butcher the execution.

Taylor and Ryan (?) what the hell was that even about? What’s going on with their relationship? Every scene with them was unbelievably bad.

The Wendy character is ruined. They just scrubbed her entire purpose and went full comic book villain on her.

The idea that Chuck was sharing confidential information with Prince is laughable to begin with, let alone the way he got played.

The boardroom scene with Chuck and Axe was cringeworthy. So were the rivalry scenes with Wags and Prince’s lapdog. Axe escaping a tail by walking thru the chopper. Lol. Was his tail watching the same deceptive camera angle as us? Because that’s the only way that lane ass stunt worked.

I really thought they had turned it around after such a weak opening to the season and then completely face planted the finish.

Let’s hope they can use the off-season to get something fresh going or if we’re in for more of Suits 2.0. It does seem to be following a similar trajectory as that show.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:20 AM   #127
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Old 10-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #128
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Did you really just try to compare the last seasons of The Wire and Game of Thrones? One is regarded as one of the worst series ending seasons of all time and killed a cultural phenomenon overnight. The other, while a slight step down, was still a fantastic season with a great series finale. The worst season of the Wire is still better than most other TV series best season
i thought the Wire was solid all the way through to the end. HBO doesn't like to extend shows past the point of where the stories run their course. Showtime on the other hand seems to have CBS/Viacom execs who like to run it like they run network tv and have to milk as many seasons as possible out of their hits.
Dexter, Weeds, Billions, Homeland, etc. all started out strong, but carried on way too long with repetitive and convoluted plots.

GOT had completely different problems with their last couple seasons. It's problems stemmed from trying to pack too much into the final two seasons so they could wrap up the show.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:58 PM   #129
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

New episode showed up on Showtime today.

Why is Wags wearing a Calgary Stampede shirt?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:05 PM   #130
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We will see how good this season is without Lewis who was excellent.

I expect this will be the typical hero goes after all the billionaires in some kind of selfish woke eruption.

Now if they can run over Taylor with a slow moving cement mixer I'll be happy.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:48 PM   #131
Rautakallio
Draft Pick

Default Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
New episode showed up on Showtime today.

Why is Wags wearing a Calgary Stampede shirt?
Yea he was wearing one after he got off his Pelton? Is he a Calgary guy?
Rautakallio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #132
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't get the premise this year, and I know its early.

Chuck is all growl all Billionaires are evil, 1% blah blah blah.

Meanwhile we have Price creating the prince list and trying to reform the industry.

I wonder if we're looking at the antagonist protagonist flip and Chuck goes to far in his little war and breaks the rules to go after Prince and ends up in Prison.

At the same time, I really miss Lewis already, Prince is just bland.

Wendy is annoying with all of her big words and no emotion.

But at least Wags is Wags.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:27 PM   #133
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

should have killed it 3 seasons ago
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 08:24 AM   #134
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I started season 6 last night night.

The show is not the same without Axe.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I decided to give this show a try and halfway through season 1. Some good performances but the writing is very uneven. There have been a couple of episodes could have been entire seasons.

I like the premise of the inner working of a hedge fund and a detailed look at white collar crime but it's not really going deep enough on either of these topics for my liking.

It doesn't have the outlandish of Wolf of Wall Street or the drama and top notch writing of Succession but those are impossibly tough comparisons. It is entertaining enough and I'm hoping it finds more of a stride in subsequent seasons.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:30 PM   #136
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I haven't watched episode 2 of this season yet because the summary kind of made me grown with the whole "Chuck decides to go after the entire billionaire class".

groan.

And yeah Damien Lewis was the charm on this show.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:05 PM   #137
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I understand what they are trying to do here, with Prince & Chuck… both basically going for broke but they are killing Wags and the pace just isn’t there. Damien Lewis was the crux of Billions and it’s showing.

Definitely miss Axe.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:27 PM   #138
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That episode was truly terrible. None of the characters are likeable. We know Prince is pulling something, but the actor has no charisma he's a cardboard cutout. The whole Chuck moralizing about billionaires is really to me silly, and typical of writer grandstanding. And Chuck is really as slimy and corrupt as any billionaire. I tlike Wags, but he's really a shadow of his former self. Wendy has become pretty much inconsequential (I miss nasty angry dominatrix Wendy). I still hate Taylor as a character who is grating and annoying.

The show really should have ended last year. Damien Lewis as a villain is massively missed.

Even the financial side of things is boring now.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #139
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So I stopped watching this show a couple of seasons ago, thought about getting back into it but without Damian Lewis there's no way. How did they write Axe out of the story?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #140
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So is Axe not part of the show anymore or what?
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote