Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #3781
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Could go here or the Fed thread, but a thoughtful and informative response from Gondek regarding the Freeland incident.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1563992273180049409
A really thoughtful statement, totally undone by using the Connor McDavid playbook for leadership at the end
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 11:12 AM   #3782
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, you see, if Gondek and Freeland and Trudeau and Nenshi and Notley weren't just so divisive then large threatening men wouldn't feel the need to physically intimidate them. So it's their own fault, really. Right-wing extremists are the real victims here.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:33 PM   #3783
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Well, to bring this thread somewhat full circle, kudos to Farkas in his reflections: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...iser-1.6554569
He was on The Eyeopener this morning (https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...s-walk-charity):
ROB BROWN: ... I don't want to retrace your history on City Council, but you were known as a maverick, and someone who didn't necessarily have a lot of support on Council, so is this experience having you look back and reconsider the things that you did on Council with an eye to maybe entering politics again with a new brand, a new way of going about things?

JEROMY FARKAS: You know, I don't know if it's about politics going forward, but I could really in some situations look back and realize that, you know, being an ideological jackass doesn't get you very far in life, it doesn't get you up the mountain, and getting to learn from other people—and particularly travel other places and see how things are done in other places—it really, really does give perspective, but I know going forward I want to be able to use my platform, that support base, to support local causes and things that I'm passionate about. But for me it's just about getting up the mountain and being able to survive a trip through sandstorms, through blizzards, through frostbite, even through Covid-19—
Good for him for showing some contrition.

Last edited by timun; 08-29-2022 at 10:36 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 06:22 AM   #3784
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for him if he actually changed.

It’s hilarious it took him a relatively easy hike to do it and has him talking like a 19 year old back from a gap year in India.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 06:42 AM   #3785
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relatively easy? 4,270km hike? Remind me not to go on a day hike with GGG.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 07:44 AM   #3786
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
He was on The Eyeopener this morning (https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...s-walk-charity):
ROB BROWN: ... I don't want to retrace your history on City Council, but you were known as a maverick, and someone who didn't necessarily have a lot of support on Council, so is this experience having you look back and reconsider the things that you did on Council with an eye to maybe entering politics again with a new brand, a new way of going about things?

JEROMY FARKAS: You know, I don't know if it's about politics going forward, but I could really in some situations look back and realize that, you know, being an ideological jackass doesn't get you very far in life, it doesn't get you up the mountain, and getting to learn from other people—and particularly travel other places and see how things are done in other places—it really, really does give perspective, but I know going forward I want to be able to use my platform, that support base, to support local causes and things that I'm passionate about. But for me it's just about getting up the mountain and being able to survive a trip through sandstorms, through blizzards, through frostbite, even through Covid-19—
Good for him for showing some contrition.
And self-awareness.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #3787
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am skeptical. To be sure, I think Farkas should keep hiking. Maybe 4,270,000 kms, just to make sure the new outlook on life takes.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 09:15 AM   #3788
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I am skeptical. To be sure, I think Farkas should keep hiking. Maybe 4,270,000 kms, just to make sure the new outlook on life takes.
He would be like deplorable Forest Gump!
Old 08-30-2022, 09:36 AM   #3789
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cynic in me feels this is somewhat contrived and built around a bit of a media strategy. I'm sure there are kernels of truth to his personal growth, but he has not earned the benefit of the doubt and needs to spend at least a little time back in 'society' not acting like a jackass before I give him the same credit/respect I give anyone else who doesn't act like a jackass (ie. not very much).

The only laudable thing is that he managed to generate some charity in alignment with his personal journey.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #3790
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll believe him if he starts slamming the Manning Foundation that made him into the political tool he is.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #3791
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'll believe him if he starts slamming the Manning Foundation that made him into the political tool he is.
He wouldn't make it back alive. Kenney would run him over with his pickup truck on the side of highway. It's like the mafia. Once you are in, you can never be out.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:22 AM   #3792
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I love that I can cite Jeromy Farkas now in telling Farkas voters that they voted for an ideological jackass.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 11:37 AM   #3793
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's saying the right things but given how quick of a turnaround it's been, and given his past, I too have to feel like it's just an act. I expect him to announce his return to politics in a year or two as this reformed improved individual, then immediately return to his same old populist tricks
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 11:45 AM   #3794
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I am a jackass and I didn't have to go on a 4,270km hike to figure that out.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 11:50 AM   #3795
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
I know I am a jackass and I didn't have to go on a 4,270km hike to figure that out.
That's the difference between a normal person and a politician.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #3796
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
He's saying the right things but given how quick of a turnaround it's been, and given his past, I too have to feel like it's just an act. I expect him to announce his return to politics in a year or two as this reformed improved individual, then immediately return to his same old populist tricks

Provincial election this spring…this is probably part of his campaign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #3797
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Provincial election this spring…this is probably part of his campaign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!

We have a winner!!!
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:15 PM   #3798
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, exactly my thoughts too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #3799
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

By saying that he was maybe not such a good person, isn't he kind of throwing the people who supported him at that time under the bus? Seems a bit "bridge burning" to me, especially as far as election ploys go, but maybe he knows that his base will stick with him anyways and this will help broaden his appeal.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #3800
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Missed all the John Laurie talk in the last page, but as NW resident, I use John Laurie quite a bit. I actually think they should get rid of all 3 left turns from those intersections. Those communities are close enough to 14th St or Shaganappi that they don't need to be making any lefts onto John Laurie from there IMO.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat