Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #61
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tipping at a professional office is stupid, but Some of you guys need to relax.

The tipping prompt on the POS machine, as I’ve been told by a vendor, is next to impossible to remove. It may even be hard coded in the software. So don’t get worked up the next time you see it on your next fastfood purchase. Just hit “$0” the next time
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #62
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys tip for massages? Feels like a middle ground between barber and dentist to me.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #63
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, not sure what the big deal is. If it prompts for a tip, I always just put zero. Same with the asking for donations. I just say no.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #64
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the flip side I remember when living in Calgary trying to give a kid a decent tip at Co-op one night for pumping my gas and doing my windows at 40 below only to be told he couldn't accept it.

Made sure he got it. Because he deserved it.

They still not allowed to receive tips?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #65
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
You guys tip for massages? Feels like a middle ground between barber and dentist to me.
No way, medical service that is covered by insurance.

Maybe in a spa it might make sense if there are other services included in addition to the massage.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #66
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I have been getting a monthly massage by the same masseuse for 3 years - i tip her $20 every time.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #67
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Tipping at the dentist? Come on now. I'd be looking for a new dentist asap.
Me too!!
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #68
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I tip our rent-a-goalies $5 after the game. More if they let me score.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #69
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post

The tipping prompt on the POS machine, as I’ve been told by a vendor, is next to impossible to remove. It may even be hard coded in the software. So don’t get worked up the next time you see it on your next fastfood purchase. Just hit “$0” the next time
Total BS. I see the same machines at different places over the course of the day. How does one joint turn it off and the other one finds it "next to impossible"? Maybe their vendor is a lazy liar, or maybe the store owner is a bloodsucker. The fact is, it's ridiculous to ask for a tip at Taco Bell, and if the owner of the store is too cheap or stupid or lazy to address his POS system, he/she should be punished by lack of business. Stop supporting those places.

Same with all the shwarma and donair places that charge $12 for a donair and then ask for a tip. I already paid you more than what a Whopper meal costs. F-off.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #70
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Tipping at a professional office is stupid, but Some of you guys need to relax.

I don't think that's true. I have used these machines and dealt with Moneris many times in my previous line of work. Either the terminal is set up that way by options selected by the user when configuring the machine, or there's a specific button you press before you swipe the card (can't remember what it's called) that toggles on the tip function.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 03-17-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #71
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
Has anyone adjusted their tip amounts since minimum wage increase?
I have in my mind but I almost always forget when it's time to pay the bill. Often you're in the middle of a conversation when the bill comes and you add the 15% by pure habit (like what I did last night). It's not until I get home later that I realized I forgot to scale back the tip like I had resolved to do in my head.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #72
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Here is an interesting observation I noticed with me and my friends:

We all use to tip cabbies before uber. Since the advent of Uber, none of us tip Uber or cabbies. Uber literally destroyed tipping for rides because it made it anonymous. So basically no one wanted to tip cabbies and as soon as they could do that without feeling bad about it...they did.

Is it only a matter of time before technology does that for another industry?
I have the exact opposite experience with Uber. You rate your driver and then the tip option comes up. Makes it very easy, and yes anonymous so they don't know exactly what you tipped. The ease of that transaction makes it easier to tip IMO and so I always do.

Their whole rating premise is based on a community of drivers of customers. You rate the drivers. They rate their customers.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 PM   #73
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Are we not doing phrasing anymore?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #74
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyGriz View Post
Sounds like the fastest way to close your restaurant. Every place that has ever done this has closed as far as I am aware. The only way this changes is if it is legislated.
Prairie Dog Brewing on 58 Ave SE has this policy. Prices don't seem excessively higher compared to other places either in my opinion. But I don't get out much so don't have a larger sample size for comparison.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #75
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I work at a place that puts an emphasis on service, where a tip from from a high end customer wouldn't be deemed inappropriate by the customer.

If one of my employees accepts a tip, and I find out as a manager, I've been instructed to fire that employee. If I don't, and my direct superior finds out, I can be fired.

If a customer insists, the tip goes to the company, or into a small charity jar.

It's a weird world out there.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #76
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the first time I was in Switzerland, I was tipping at a pub place, and a guy from Germany told me not to do it, unless you get awesome service.

Drinks are expensive enough there, and I guess the servers make living wages.

Someone mentioned EDO, and I was at one on Saturday, that no tip option came up on their card reader, so I went to my car and got some loonies.

Another one that makes me laugh is these small neighborhood liquor stores with tip jars. You rang that case of beer through awesome, I think that is worth about 18% tip.

One of the worst places I've been is NYC, seems like you're handing out cash for tips everywhere. Took a cab from La Guardia to Manhattan and looked up tipping cabs in NY on the internet. People basically said if you can't afford 20% don't take a cab, take transit.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #77
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I work at a place that puts an emphasis on service, where a tip from from a high end customer wouldn't be deemed inappropriate by the customer.

If one of my employees accepts a tip, and I find out as a manager, I've been instructed to fire that employee. If I don't, and my direct superior finds out, I can be fired.

If a customer insists, the tip goes to the company, or into a small charity jar.

It's a weird world out there.
I'd be interested to know what type of business you are in. Would also be interested in knowing if those would be legal grounds for dismissal?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #78
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Same rule for the massages
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #79
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of mine is sub-contracted by Moneris to service/update the POS units and she said she is shocked by what some places tell her to set the tipping options to. It is definitely set (or requested to be set) by the business.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #80
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Another one that makes me laugh is these small neighborhood liquor stores with tip jars. You rang that case of beer through awesome, I think that is worth about 18% tip.
Liquor stores, I guess the justification can be on the basis of recommendations or suggestions. A few times I have gone to COOP, I have gotten good service, but I have always just approached this as part of the price I'm paying for the alcohol purchase.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote