Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #461
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah in all the Vegas games the Flames have been the better team. The difference is a couple bad breaks in Vegas. The Flames have carried the play for longer stretches.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #462
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yeah in all the Vegas games the Flames have been the better team. The difference is a couple bad breaks in Vegas. The Flames have carried the play for longer stretches.
That may be true, but it’s scary how quick the Knights are in forcing and taking advantage of miscues in their opponents’ end.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #463
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
This is hockey. You can't win it all without multiple superstar players. And even if you have the superstar skaters, they can't win without a goalie. Just look at the other team in Pennsylvania. The Penguins without Fleury/Murray are the Flyers. It's always great to have the two best centres in the world on your team, but the goalie still has to win games, and there were a few seasons where Fleury genuinely let them down. But it's clear those days have passed, and the man is an elite goalie.

Patrick Roy: 1029 GP 2.54 .910
Miikka Kiprusoff: 623 GP 2.49 .913
Carey Price: 612 GP, 2.48 GAA and .918
Marc Andre Fleury: 795 GP 2.56 and .913

Seems like pretty good company.

To keep it off topic, Chris Osgood belongs in the Hall of Fame. People talk about him like he's Antti Niemi.

-13th all time in wins with 401.
-3x Stanley Cup winner - twice as a starter.
-4x Stanley Cup finalist - three times as a starter.
-GAA during his playoff runs: 2.12, 1.55, 2.01
-Save % during his playoff runs: 0.918, .930, .926
-6x 30+ wins
-13x 20+ wins
-39 shutouts
-2x William Jennings winner

H.O.F.
Fair response. What would your thoughts on Corey Crawford be?
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #464
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Osgood is easily the most underrated goalie of all time.

Honestly, I blame his helmet. He isn’t flashy by any means, but was a solid, consistently well above average goalie.

Likewise I think MAF would be a Canadian legend if he didn’t have that unfortunate error in the world juniors. He’s one of the best, if you can’t see that you’re deliberately closing your eyes.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #465
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Great goalie. Unfortunate health decline.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #466
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Crawford is another guy who gets no credit because he played on a team with Kane, Toews and Keith in their primes, with one of the best coaches not named "Bowman" to ever stand behind a bench.

Every year Crawford starts 50+ games, he wins 30+. Since he became Chicago's full-time starter in 2010-11, he has one season with a save percentage under .910 (2011-12). In six of the last eight years, Crawford has a GAA below 2.40.

Crawford's two Stanley Cups:

23 GP 1.84 .932
20 GP 2.31 .924

Corey Crawford was an outstanding number one goalie whose career has been undone by concussions. He was on the 2016 World Cup team for a reason. And I can tell you this much: Chicago doesn't win two extra cups if they decide Antti Niemi is 'good enough'.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #467
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

Honestly, I blame his helmet. He isn’t flashy by any means, but was a solid, consistently well above average goalie.

Likewise I think MAF would be a Canadian legend if he didn’t have that unfortunate error in the world juniors. He’s one of the best, if you can’t see that you’re deliberately closing your eyes.
I had completely forgotten about this, but Chris Osgood has an honest to goodness goal to his credit.

The World Junior fiasco doesn't help Fleury's cause among the casual fan. He also has to wear a couple truly abysmal playoff performances (2012 and 2013).

I'm trying to come up with a good reason for Marc Andre Fleury's name to not be among the greatest Canadian goalies of all time, and the only thing I can come up with is that he doesn't have a defining international achievement.

When he burst onto the scene the year before going #1 overall, Canada didn't win the WJHC. The next year, amid much fanfare, the Penguins let him go play in the tournament and the famous bungle happens. After that, he never got a chance to take a starring role in a major international event. Luongo and Brodeur were justifiably ahead of him in 2010, and Carey Price's 2014 is the stuff of legend.

It's tough to imagine he'll ever get a decent opportunity to play for Canada on the biggest stage at this point. But if we all had a two-week period we could point to and say 'this was when the entire country was on the Fleury bandwagon' a la Curtis Joseph at the 1996 World Cup, I think that'd go a long way.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #468
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

MAF's WJC mishap and his crapping the bed in the playoffs will always tarnish his career. Also kind of lost his job to Murray. I don't think he's done enough for people to completely forget that stuff. Solid tender for the most part though.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #469
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
MAF's WJC mishap and his crapping the bed in the playoffs will always tarnish his career. Also kind of lost his job to Murray. I don't think he's done enough for people to completely forget that stuff. Solid tender for the most part though.
Yet he has more cup rings than our Franchise and a bunch of other teams as well
Old 03-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #470
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah, but so does Kirk Maltby....

And sorry for the derail, maybe lets pick this back up in the summer as a discussion? In mid June after you guys finally stop playing!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #471
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

Is he? There’s a big difference between above average and the most underrated of all time.

The Osgood I watched was a very average goalie who had the privilege of playing on some absolutely stacked teams.

He definitely is not the most underrated of all time. Nor do I think he’s a hall of fame type guy either. He was not a top tier goalie on his era.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #472
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Is he? There’s a big difference between above average and the most underrated of all time.

The Osgood I watched was a very average goalie who had the privilege of playing on some absolutely stacked teams.

He definitely is not the most underrated of all time. Nor do I think he’s a hall of fame type guy either. He was not a top tier goalie on his era.
Except he was.

Osgood: 2.49 .905
Belfour: 2.50 .906
Joseph: 2.79 .906
Richter: 2.89 .906
Kolzig: 2.71 .906

He wasn't Brodeur or Hasek. I just looked this up, apparently the Hall has only elected three goalies since 2003. That's absurd, and worthy of further investigation. Joseph, Richter and Osgood all belong.

Kiprusoff is the best goalie Finland has ever produced, he should be in.

This is going to bother me the rest of the night.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #473
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
For right or wrong people will always think of Crosby and Malkin when it comes to the Cup wins and not MAF.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #474
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I was informed by listening to the Oilers post-game show on 630 CHED last night that the Vegas Golden Knights have an 8–1 record since acquiring Mark Stone on TD Day. That sure sounds impressive, but what of that single, solitary loss? It was in Calgary, to the tune of 6–3, in a game in which Mark Stone was on the ice for four of the goals VGK allowed.

26 Feb v. Dallas — 4–1
28 Feb v. Florida — 6–5 (SO)
1 Mar @ Anaheim — 3–0
3 Mar v. Vancouver — 3–0
6 Mar v. Calgary — 2–1
9 Mar @ Vancouver — 6–2
10 Mar @ Calgary — 3–6
15 Mar @ Dallas — 2–1
17 Mar v. Edmonton — 6–3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #475
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Osgood came out of southern Alberta. One of the hockey Dads from my son's team says he was only the 4th best goalie in his league (Cory Hirsch was one, I can't remember the others). I always thought he was an average goalie who was on a great team.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #476
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Osgood came out of southern Alberta. One of the hockey Dads from my son's team says he was only the 4th best goalie in his league (Cory Hirsch was one, I can't remember the others). I always thought he was an average goalie who was on a great team.
Osgood was a decent NHL caliber goaltender. He benefited from being on a very good team. He is the type of goalie that many teams today would love to have on their teams, especially our very own Flames. You can trust that he won't hurt you and he may keep you in some games, but he wouldn't hurt you with regular softies.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #477
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

This thread is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #478
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Osgood was a decent NHL caliber goaltender. He benefited from being on a very good team. He is the type of goalie that many teams today would love to have on their teams, especially our very own Flames. You can trust that he won't hurt you and he may keep you in some games, but he wouldn't hurt you with regular softies.
I would LOVE average here right now.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #479
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Nobody 'decents' their way to 400 wins and two Stanley Cups over an 18 year NHL career.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #480
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This thread is broken.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote