Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #621
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I'm sure these are just combine jerseys and have no bearing on the style of the game jerseys, but . . . . if the CFL's jerseys are going back in time to the 80s and having screen printed numbers and letters, I will never buy one.
Sounds like they will be using the same supplier as Adidas, so no changes expected for next year: https://3downnation.com/2018/09/12/n...-same-in-2019/

I assume that is just for the game jerseys though; not sure if the replica jerseys will be any different...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #622
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumour the Als are up for sale...

@HerbZurkowsky1:
For what it’s worth, I’ve been hearing for weeks #AlsMTL are on the verge of being sold. Although Andrew Wetenhall quashed my scenario at the jersey launch, the talk hasn’t subsided. Just sayin’

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #623
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully this goes through. Whetenhall has been a disaster for the Als and the league.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #624
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by tvp2003; 03-15-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #625
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lowering number of Canadian starters from 7 to 5 being discussed upon by CFL & CFLPA.

@CFL_News:
Both the CFL and CFLPA are in favour of reducing the number of national starters from seven to five after the issue was raised during recent labour negotiations in Toronto, per sources. - @JDunk12
#CFL #CFLPA

While a final decision has yet to be made, there appears to be a consensus on this issue after the first round of negotiations. - @JDunk12 #CFL #CFLPA

Old 03-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #626
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Lowering number of Canadian starters from 7 to 5 being discussed upon by CFL & CFLPA.

@CFL_News:
Both the CFL and CFLPA are in favour of reducing the number of national starters from seven to five after the issue was raised during recent labour negotiations in Toronto, per sources. - @JDunk12
#CFL #CFLPA

While a final decision has yet to be made, there appears to be a consensus on this issue after the first round of negotiations. - @JDunk12 #CFL #CFLPA
I’d be okay with this but with one caveat. A player would be considered Canadian after a certain number of consecutive years with a team. Say 5 seasons for example. Rewards teams for keeping players longer term.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #627
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I’d be okay with this but with one caveat. A player would be considered Canadian after a certain number of consecutive years with a team. Say 5 seasons for example. Rewards teams for keeping players longer term.
If they reduce the number of Canadians and allow Americans to change status after five years you’ll have no Canadians in the Canadian Football League.

Nope.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #628
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

@CFL_News:
#CFL #CFLPA

Finally. This is something the league has badly needed. We may not notice as much in Calgary because the Stamps do a good job at the draft but there's teams starting Canadians that shouldn't be playing professional football. If you really look at what's best for the overall product then having better players on the field is the easiest thing to fix as now you don't have to have teams hiding Canadians as decoy receivers, full backs, safety's etc. Offensive lines wouldn't be in shambles if a Canadian or two goes down to injury where teams are faced with starting a Canadian backup lineman that can't adequately block or put in a competent import and moving the pain elsewhere on the roster by having to plug in a Canadian to play DB that can't cover receivers. Players you can't count on like Anthony Parker won't have nine lives because of his passport. This is a fantastic move.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #629
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At the end of the day, youth football is slowly dying anyways. I coached at the bantam level for 4 years and saw enrollment drop in half, and players moving up to the next level dropping as well.

There are too many concerns over concussions, too many coaches that are too old school and should really go do something else instead of playing with a primary concern of pretending that coaching youth football is the CFL and somehow they're going to move up to the next level of coaching. Even the development of players and encouraging players to love and enjoy the game has changed to, we're playing our starters end to end and kicking other teams in the teeth.

I really used to love coaching and working with the kids and developing them, and then it became unfun, not because of the players, but because of the adults and for the first time in a long time, I'm not coaching this year, and I thought that I would take a year off and look at going to another program next year. but over the winter, I realized, I'm not all that interested in coaching anymore. I spent a couple of days last weekend, packing the playbooks that I'd developed over my 12 years of coaching into a box, taped it shut and put it in the back of my storage room.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of high school teams continuing to shrink, and other youth programs folding due to a lack of players.

If any of you are parents looking at getting their kids into football, which is a wonderful, exciting team work building game, I would strongly recommend that you talk to the coaches in your local program about what they're doing in terms of concussion prevention and how much time they spend working on safe contact. What their policies are in terms of playing time. I would really strongly request especially at the start of the year that you attend some practices and make sure that you and your child are comfortable and engaged with the coaches and how they conduct practices. If you're a parent and you really want to be engaged, I would strongly recommend that you take a look at football Canada's website and some of their online courses that are mandatory for coaches to take and look at the videos of how they should be teaching kids how to tackle properly to make sure that they are doing it.

I got sick of spending 20 minutes per practice working with my players on safe contact and then going into a game and watching other teams players using their helmets in tackles and not being safe. If you want to have your kid play football and your kid wants to play football, make sure that its a positive experience for everyone.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #630
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Atlantic Schooners, CFL and City of Moncton are holding a news conference on Friday. Is it to announce Touchdown Atlantic or the awarding of an expansion franchise?

Old 04-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #631
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1114587105953370112
Old 04-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #632
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Look at that stylin tux!

Congrats Romar

https://twitter.com/user/status/1115676007808282625
Old 04-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #633
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

SSE, Sport Nova Scotia partner to create multi-use facility

http://www.schooners.ca/2019/03/30/s...-use-facility/

Quote:
Schooners Sports and Entertainment (SSE) has announced that they have partnered with Sport Nova Scotia on a plan to create a year-round, multi-use sports venue that will be open to the broader public for amateur and recreational sport, and serve as the home for the proposed Atlantic Canadian CFL team.

SSE also announced that it has signed a letter of intent with Canada Lands Company outlining the parameters of a potential deal that would see the community sports and entertainment hub integrated into Shannon Park.
Dartmouth residents feel duped over plans for Shannon Park stadium

https://globalnews.ca/news/5119063/s...k-cfl-stadium/

Last edited by troutman; 04-09-2019 at 01:28 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #634
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

New rules approved for 2019.
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-coaches-can-m...game-1.1288353

Other recommendations that were accepted include:
- CFL head coaches will have the opportunity this season to launch two challenges in a game
— A 10-yard objectionable conduct call will be made for diving.
— The command centre can upgrade spearing to a 25-yard penalty when a defender delivers a blow with the top of his helmet and has a clear view of the opponent. Also, there can't be any mitigating circumstances such as the opponent ducking his head.
— A player receiving two 25-yard penalties in a game will now be disqualified.
— A kicked or thrown football will remain live instead of becoming a dead ball when it touches a goal-post ribbon.
— The command centre can assist on-field officials in calling penalties when the injury spotter has intervened in a player-safety situation.
— The command centre can help field officials with called and non-called roughing-the-kicker penalties.
— The stipulation that a defender be allowed to contact a kicker's plant leg without penalty if the defender has touched the ball before contact has been removed.
— Now, the definition of spearing is when a player uses the top of his helmet as the primary contact point to deliver a blow.
— The use of three or more wedge blockers on kicking plays is illegal.
— A defensive player can no longer deliver a forcible blow to the long snapper while the snapper's head is down and he's in a vulnerable position.
All of the accepted recommendations will be enforced starting this season.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #635
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
A 10-yard objectionable conduct call will be made for diving.
Should be named the 'Ty Long' rule - I think he's trying to land a job in the NFL this season.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #636
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't spend much time in the entertainment threads so I'll post it here.

THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO CALGARY: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwUWztkHJJ5/

Quote:
Defining memories. Wow.
Landed last night here in Calgary, Alberta Canada ���� to continue shooting JUMANJI.
My brain was flooded with crazy experiences here.
This is the city where me having only $7 bucks in my pocket all began.
I have a deep reverence for this town ~ she shook me in the best possible way.
Good to be back.
Let’s get to work.
#7buckaroos
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #637
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1119345497129406465
Old 04-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #638
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Hmmmm

https://twitter.com/user/status/1119349152960274432
Old 04-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #639
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Congrats to the Mace clan!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1121471653781725184
Old 04-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #640
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure I saw this posted (apologies if I missed it), but congrats to Jon Cornish on being inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame:

Cornish was recognized as the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player in 2013 and won three consecutive Most Outstanding Canadian Awards from 2012 to 2014 along with two Grey Cups (2008 and 2014). He was selected as a CFL all-star three straight years from 2012 to 2014 and led the CFL in rushing in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Cornish received the Lou Marsh Award in 2013 as Canada’s Male Athlete of the Year.

The Canadian running back finished his career as the fourth-leading rusher in Stampeders history with 6,844 yards, on 1,026 carries, an average of 6.7 yards per carry, and 44 touchdowns along with 1,666 receiving yards and nine touchdowns and 8,510 total yards from scrimmage.

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/24/2...riders-hopson/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post: