Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I still can't believe we got Mangiapane in the 6th round..
Lots of teams have prospects like this, guys who score a lot in junior, but due to size or other concerns go late in the draft. Flames have had their fair share of these types of prospects over the years.

There are a tonne of small skilled forwards who go in the draft every year that don't pan out or amount to much. You really don't know what you have until they turn pro.

I watched the Barrie game on the weekend and Mangiapane was decent but it wasn't like watching Johnny in college or at the world juniors where you had that sense "hmmm, this kid might be special". Even with Johnny, you still didn't know how he would do as a pro.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #82
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I wouldn't even bother getting excited about undersized players until they dominate at the World stage or at a higher level than junior.

Johnny you knew had big potential because of how he played at the WJCs, in important games in college as well. Then you saw him play well at the World Championships as well. At that point I knew his game was gonna translate somewhat.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #83
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Hattrick for Mangiapane tonight. PP, ES, and SH goals

6 game goal streak and 13 game point streak. 25 points in 12 games for January.

38gp 30g 31a 61pts

Andersson with an assist. 16 points in 12 games for January

44gp 7g 37a 44pts

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-29-2016 at 07:56 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #84
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mangiapane's point streak came to an end last night. 0pts in a 3-2 win

Andersson had another assist maintaining hes point per game pace.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-31-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #85
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Macdonald had a 39 save SO tonight.

His 1st 2 games after WJC were brutal (15GA) but since then he's been really putting it together again. Only 11 GA in last 6GP which is amazing in the Q, where a 3 GAA is good.

Hopefully he can go on a tear to finish the year and restore some faith in the Flames future in net.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to druetetective For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #86
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary Flames prospect Mason McDonald has been named the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's First Star for the week of Jan. 25-31.

The Charlottetown Islanders netminder won both of his starts against the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles last week, allowing just two goals on a combined 67 shots. His GAA sat at 1.00 last week while his save percentage in the pair of games was .970.

Last Friday, McDonald made 26 saves on 28 shots in a 4-2 Charlottetown victory. He followed that up with his second shutout of the year, denying Cape Breton on all 39 shots they sent at him on Saturday. He was the game's first star in the 3-0 Islanders victory.

McDonald, the Flames' second round pick in 2014, has now won five of his last six starts.
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=801355
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #87
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=823511

Quote:
Calgary Flames prospect Rasmus Andersson has been named the Ontario Hockey League's Defenceman Of The Month for January.

The rearguard, who was selected in the second round of the 2015 NHL Draft, put up 17 points in 13 games last month and currently sits first in league scoring among defencemen with 45 points in 45 games this year.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #88
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what the Flames will do with McDonald next year. Due to Gillies lost season and the possibility that Ortio may return in an AHL role, that doesn't leave a ton of options for McDonald.

It may be in both his and the Flames best interest if he returns to absolutely dominate the Q next year.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #89
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is the ECHL. Not a bad option for a 20 year old netminder.

Would be shocked if Ortio is back.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #90
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, the ECHL makes the most sense IMO
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #91
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
There is the ECHL. Not a bad option for a 20 year old netminder.

Would be shocked if Ortio is back.
Odd feeling you have on Ortio. I've read that the team knows it's a process and that they didn't get too high on Orts' last year with the good season they had and they're not too low on him so far this year while he's on a downswing. They sound like they're going to be very patient with him and his development. If he isn't back next year it might be because it'll be his choice and he goes home to play in Finland.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #92
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Tod Button hinted in an interviw earlier this year the Flames would have Gillies as the starter in the AHL and McDonald as the starter in the ECHL for next season.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #93
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I wonder what the Flames will do with McDonald next year. Due to Gillies lost season and the possibility that Ortio may return in an AHL role, that doesn't leave a ton of options for McDonald.

It may be in both his and the Flames best interest if he returns to absolutely dominate the Q next year.
It's not uncommon from what I can tell for goalies to stay in juniors longer than other positions. I would 99% expect him to stay in the Q in order to get playing time.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #94
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Odd feeling you have on Ortio. I've read that the team knows it's a process and that they didn't get too high on Orts' last year with the good season they had and they're not too low on him so far this year while he's on a downswing. They sound like they're going to be very patient with him and his development. If he isn't back next year it might be because it'll be his choice and he goes home to play in Finland.
Yeah, that's what I think.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #95
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping Ortio has turned a corner. If the rest of the season plays out well for him, he should be given another chance at the big club's backup position. If he chooses to go to Europe and turns down our contract offer, we should still retain his rights so there's that.

Last edited by Vulcan; 02-04-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #96
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like McDonald was signed on July 2 last year,which would mean his contract was a 19 year-old signing, so it can only slide for one season (which is this season).

If his contract was able to slide next year as well, I could see them sending him back to Charlottetown. Since they'll be paying him next season, I expect the plan is for him to play pro. Gillies will get the bulk of the time in Stockton, so McDonald will most likely go to Adirondack.

On the weekend, I saw something that said three of eight All-Star goalies had ECHL experience. Holtby only had 12 ECHL games, but Dubnyk and Quick both played most of their first pro seasons in the ECHL.

As we've seen with Ferland and Kanzig, the Flames aren't afraid to send a guy back to junior even if his ELC clock is ticking, but I suspect that Plan A is to have a guy who's collecting a paycheque be collecting it in the Flames' organization.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #97
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
How would that be an odd feeling? He's been outplayed badly by Poulin who has more experience and is only a year older. It should be a shock to no one if the Flames kept Poulin over Ortio.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #98
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
It's not uncommon from what I can tell for goalies to stay in juniors longer than other positions. I would 99% expect him to stay in the Q in order to get playing time.
Highly ranked prospects don't usually get returned to junior. the last 1st rounder was almost 30 years ago (Bryan Marchment). Even 2nd rounders is extremely rare.

Their has been certain trends lately in player development. One is to send underage players to the AHL and start their pro career early. (Kylington,Seiloff,Nylander,Kapenen,Honka,Lindholm Etc).

Another is to send young goalies to the ECHL rather than juniors for OA season or back up in AHL. (Ken Appleby,Vitek Vanesek,Philippe Desrosiers Etc)

Having said that some teams do send good goalie prospects back for the extra year like DET's 3rd rounder Jake Paterson.

So anyways, I wouldn't put the odds anywhere near 99% no offence. I'd set my own beting odds closer to 75/25 in favor of him turning pro.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #99
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It looks like McDonald was signed on July 2 last year,which would mean his contract was a 19 year-old signing, so it can only slide for one season (which is this season).

If his contract was able to slide next year as well, I could see them sending him back to Charlottetown. Since they'll be paying him next season, I expect the plan is for him to play pro. Gillies will get the bulk of the time in Stockton, so McDonald will most likely go to Adirondack.

On the weekend, I saw something that said three of eight All-Star goalies had ECHL experience. Holtby only had 12 ECHL games, but Dubnyk and Quick both played most of their first pro seasons in the ECHL.

As we've seen with Ferland and Kanzig, the Flames aren't afraid to send a
guy back to junior even if his ELC clock is ticking, but I suspect that Plan A is to have a guy who's collecting a paycheque be collecting it in the Flames' organization.
So a player can be playing junior and be getting a NHL paycheck? (AHL portion I assume?) I assumed it knocks a year off but no money was paid out when it slides in that situation. Interesting.

Last edited by druetetective; 02-05-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #100
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2015-16 Flames' CHL Prospects, General Discussion Thread

Mangiapane with a hat trick so far against the Steelheads. Andersson held off the scorecard as of yet but is +2. Game about to head into the 3rd.

Also there is a guy named Giordano (first name) on the Colts.

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 02-06-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trailer Fire For This Useful Post: