Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Laptop data stick and gaming

With the deal on the Wind Mobile unlimited data I was wondering if anyone has used it to connect to online games like black ops, BC2, wow etc.

Looking to see if its worth grabbing for lunchtime gaming at my office. They advertise speeds of:

HSUPA data service of up to 2.0 Mbps
HSDPA data service of up to 7.2 Mbps
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
With the deal on the Wind Mobile unlimited data I was wondering if anyone has used it to connect to online games like black ops, BC2, wow etc.

Looking to see if its worth grabbing for lunchtime gaming at my office. They advertise speeds of:

HSUPA data service of up to 2.0 Mbps
HSDPA data service of up to 7.2 Mbps
The up to part is very important.

Due to the nature of wireless networking, any factor affecting signal strength, such as other people using it, distance from tower, walls or buildings in the way or any type of interference will reduce that maximum speed.

I have never used one of these sticks for gaming so I can't say for sure but it depends on where you are physically located compared to the tower you will be using. Your cell phone signal might give some indication of this, but probably not a good one. I wouldn't count on being able to do anything that required fast reactions like a FPS. WOW might be ok.

See if you can test it out before you buy, like a 14 day trial or something.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The speed of the data service will probably be less of an issue, where the latency will probably be what kills it.. for any kind of action game a latency in the 10's of ms is best, just over 100ms maybe if you don't mind never being able to snipe anyone, whereas I suspect with a datastick you're probably talking in the multiples of 100's of ms latency.

But WoW type games would probably work fine.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The speed of the data service will probably be less of an issue, where the latency will probably be what kills it.. for any kind of action game a latency in the 10's of ms is best, just over 100ms maybe if you don't mind never being able to snipe anyone, whereas I suspect with a datastick you're probably talking in the multiples of 100's of ms latency.

But WoW type games would probably work fine.
pfff, i was king with the railgun in Quake 2 with a 350-400ms ping on my dial-up connection. i wore that HPB badge with pride
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote