Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Happy Carl Sagan day

Hey CP, Happy CS day! I'm sure everyone here knows who Carl Sagan was, if not, he was a wonderful author and astronomer, teacher, and I think philoposher.

Some of my favourite quotes from Carl:
  • For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
  • If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?
  • Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works

Carl was an amazing author and wrote in such a way that a layperson could enjoy and comprehend his work; all the while gaining important knowledge about our amazing universe. The world was truly better off for having him!
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonlywhiteout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Is that because Carl Sagan sounds sort of like Bob Segar? Why not Bob Saget while we're at it? Not sure of the relevance. Maybe I'm missing something.

Sagan (not Segar or Saget) was one of the truly great individuals of our time. I don't really believe in heroes, per se, but there are certainly people I admire greatly and Carl Sagan is one of them.

Didn't he also write the book that the movie 'Contact' was based on?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
^ Is that because Carl Sagan sounds sort of like Bob Segar? Why not Bob Saget while we're at it? Not sure of the relevance. Maybe I'm missing something.

Sagan (not Segar or Saget) was one of the truly great individuals of our time. I don't really believe in heroes, per se, but there are certainly people I admire greatly and Carl Sagan is one of them.
In all honesty I was searching for a Bob Saget video to go along with it, but got distracted by someone at the door.

Carl Sagan is a smart dude
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ramsayfarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is today Carl Sagan day?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Its his birthday, I think 76th.

So excited, the humanist group here in Iceland is hosting Anne Druyan next may so I'll get to meet her.

Happy Birthday Carl, we miss you

One of my favorites:

Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Just rewatching Cosmos again, so timeless.

10 years after Cosmos, a reflection.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ann is a remarkable woman, I can see why she caught Carl's attention. I love that pale blue dot video. I find it amazing when people like Carl are able to create such beautiful poetry of words seemingly without effort
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

^^^

Wha..? I don't get it. Did you make that yourself?

Sagan was the absolute farthest thing ever from a stoner. The man was both a scientific and literary genius.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Jake
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was such a sad day when he died. I've always liked reading astonomy books, but none have ever really compared with Cosmos.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
^^^

Sagan was the absolute farthest thing ever from a stoner. The man was both a scientific and literary genius.
It is accepted knowledge that Carl Sagan was a significant pothead.

Doesn`t diminish the veracity of your last sentence.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable."

"Anything you don't understand you attribute to God. God for you is where you sweep away all the mysteries of the world, all the challenges to our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off and say God did it."

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy."

"The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the supression of ideas."

"The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look Death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

...billions and billions...

that is all

Old 11-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
^^^

Sagan was a huge pot head.

From wiki, I also included the BHA story just for the hell of it.

"Sagan was a user and advocate of marijuana. Under the pseudonym "Mr. X", he contributed an essay about smoking cannabis to the 1971 book Marihuana Reconsidered.[45][46] The essay explained that marijuana use had helped to inspire some of Sagan's works and enhance sensual and intellectual experiences. After Sagan's death, his friend Lester Grinspoon disclosed this information to Sagan's biographer, Keay Davidson. The publishing of the biography, Carl Sagan: A Life, in 1999 brought media attention to this aspect of Sagan's life.[47][48][49]
In 1994, engineers at Apple Computer code-named the Power Macintosh 7100 "Carl Sagan" in the hope that Apple would make "billions and billions" with the sale of the PowerMac 7100.[3] The name was only used internally, but Sagan was concerned that it would become a product endorsement and sent Apple a cease and desist letter. Apple complied, but engineers retaliated by changing the internal codename to "BHA" for "Butt-Head Astronomer".[50][51] Sagan then sued Apple for libel, a form of defamation, in federal court. The court granted Apple's motion to dismiss Sagan's claims and opined in dicta that a reader aware of the context would understand Apple was "clearly attempting to retaliate in a humorous and satirical way", and that "It strains reason to conclude that Defendant was attempting to criticize Plaintiff's reputation or competency as an astronomer. One does not seriously attack the expertise of a scientist using the undefined phrase 'butt-head'."[50][52] Sagan then sued for Apple's original use of his name and likeness, but again lost.[53] Sagan appealed the ruling.[53] In November 1995, an out of court settlement was reached and Apple's office of trademarks and patents released a conciliatory statement that "Apple has always had great respect for Dr. Sagan. It was never Apple's intention to cause Dr. Sagan or his family any embarrassment or concern."[54]
"
Ramsayfarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #17
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

A favorite, comparing Matrix agent to Carl.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Carl Sagan,Stephen Hawking - God, the Universe, & Everything Else

This was before Hawking denounced Gods existence.

T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #19
Stumptown
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
A favorite, comparing Matrix agent to Carl.
That's awesome. Never would have thought that Hugo Weaving would make such a good Carl Sagan, even though he's Aussie. He's such a great actor.
Stumptown is offline   Reply With Quote