Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2022, 01:33 PM   #541
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Interesting. It's kinda silly watching these things on a display like my laptop that is obviously worse than either of these displays, but I thought the LG OLED looked better on all the side by sides. My OLED is in a room with lots of windows and I've never found brightness an issue. Also interesting what he says about reds as overly glowing reds and things like glowing Seahawks uniforms on HDR sports are the biggest things I fight with.

I welcome all these OLED and other directv view technologies and hope it makes for a 77+ inch OLED or bigger in the next year or two.

LG announced their new TVs yesterday I see. The B2 sounds interesting as an entry level. The 60Hz A1s were always a non-starter to me. But a 77 inch B2 could be getting into my budget.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-enter...like-ces-2022/
Now that is interesting. Same refresh rate and HDMI 2.1 ports as the C2, only drawback appears to be the processor. But if you use something like a Nvidia Shield for streaming instead of the TV itself then that doesn't matter at all. Currently a 77" C1 is $4000, if the 77" B2 can come anywhere close to the $3K mark I may pull the trigger as well
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #542
Fattyffat
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Make sure to check the video card display settings, not Windows display settings. I was having similar problems before with an LG TV and it was the Nvidia settings that helped. You should be aiming for 60 Hz refresh rate at a minimum, not 23.

When I plugged my computer to my TV via HDMI for some reason it chose 4k at 20 Hz or something and this is where I fixed it:

I have my TV now set to output my PC at 1440p/60 Hz and it works great.
I have my resolution set to 3840x2160 (native, 4K) and the refresh rate is set to 60Hz. No matter what resolution or refresh rate I choose, videos jitter/lag whenever I full screen it on the tv
Fattyffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #543
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
....Also interesting what he says about reds as overly glowing reds and things like glowing Seahawks uniforms on HDR sports are the biggest things I fight with.
There was a thread on Shaw about a similar issue back in Oct/Nov that was happening on all different brands of TV. It seemed be mainly on the sports channels. I had it on mine and during the world series, the players had sun-burnt faces and the piping on the uniforms popped out (glowing is a good description). For hockey colors popped too and the ice was a little too bright. I do not think there was a resolution but it was on most brands of TVs so they believe it was a source issue with Shaw.

One day mine went back to normal and I forgot about it until your post.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:59 PM   #544
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattyffat View Post
I have my resolution set to 3840x2160 (native, 4K) and the refresh rate is set to 60Hz. No matter what resolution or refresh rate I choose, videos jitter/lag whenever I full screen it on the tv
What if you disconnect the monitor and leave only the TV connected?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:26 PM   #545
Fattyffat
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
What if you disconnect the monitor and leave only the TV connected?
Didn’t make a difference
Old 01-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #546
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

What video player are you using?
Old 01-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #547
Fattyffat
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
What video player are you using?
Mostly using chrome. I took a video of it: https://imgur.com/a/dWq22bc

You can see how when I fullscreen it becomes choppy

Edit: Ok it works fine on Edge, seems to be like a chrome issue then.

Last edited by Fattyffat; 01-04-2022 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-04-2022, 03:25 PM   #548
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried other browsers, or any other video source?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:35 PM   #549
Fattyffat
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you tried other browsers, or any other video source?
Yes the issue goes away on Edge and seems like it’s fine on VLC. Seems like a chrome issue then. Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fattyffat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #550
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, that narrows it down, anyway...I know you turned it off, but have you tried turning hardware acceleration back on in Chrome?
Old 01-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #551
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I'm looking for a "cheaper" 4K TV for the main floor... requirements are:

- at least 65 inches
- 120hz refresh
- must have Plex
So I posted this at the beginning of November and got some good advice from Hemi-Cuda about the X90J... I was pretty much set to pull the trigger on it over Xmas and was in a store showing my wife it and she quite liked it.

Then we walked by the LG C1 and she went "Whoa, why are we not buying that!?!??!?!"

And so

my "cheaper" 4k TV budget was thrown out the window. This seems to happen a lot with my technology purchases.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #552
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
So I posted this at the beginning of November and got some good advice from Hemi-Cuda about the X90J... I was pretty much set to pull the trigger on it over Xmas and was in a store showing my wife it and she quite liked it.

Then we walked by the LG C1 and she went "Whoa, why are we not buying that!?!??!?!"

And so

my "cheaper" 4k TV budget was thrown out the window. This seems to happen a lot with my technology purchases.
Lucky you, makes it a lot easier to buy the fancy stuff when the wife pushes for it. I really wanted the 77" C1, but the wife balked at spending $5k on a TV, so that's why I settled with the Sony. I'm just waiting for the kids TV upstairs to finally die so that I have justification to put it upstairs and finally get an OLED for the main TV. Hopefully by then prices are better for the big ones
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #553
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

And so

This is a great set. You are going to love it! One quirky thing is I had a software update which bonked out the HDMI ports and it required a hard reboot.

TV's are more and more like smartphones now then TV's in that the software running them and complexities are significant.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 01-11-2022 at 01:33 PM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 02:08 PM   #554
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
This is a great set. You are going to love it! One quirky thing is I had a software update which bonked out the HDMI ports and it required a hard reboot.

TV's are more and more like smartphones now then TV's in that the software running them and complexities are significant.
Fun fact, LG bought WebOS from HP who bought Palm. So your TV is running the software that was originally designed for Palm devices.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #555
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Fun fact, LG bought WebOS from HP who bought Palm. So your TV is running the software that was originally designed for Palm devices.
I wish they along with Samsung would just give up trying to push their own proprietary OS and go with Android like they do (or did in LG's case) with their phones. I know a lot of people with Samsung and LG TV's, and all of them use either an Nvidia Shield or a Fire TV stick for their streaming needs. The Sony sets are nice that way in that you don't need that extra bit of gear and save 1 HDMI port since it already has Android on it
Old 01-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #556
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I wish they along with Samsung would just give up trying to push their own proprietary OS and go with Android like they do (or did in LG's case) with their phones. I know a lot of people with Samsung and LG TV's, and all of them use either an Nvidia Shield or a Fire TV stick for their streaming needs. The Sony sets are nice that way in that you don't need that extra bit of gear and save 1 HDMI port since it already has Android on it
Don't they all kind of suck? I have a secondary TV with built in Fire TV that is so painfully slow and buggy, I had to plug in a Roku. I've heard people say that the Shield is much better than the build in Android TV on Sony OLEDs. WebOS works decently enough, but only supports half the apps I use, so that's useless. Android TV isn't really ubiquitous enough to support the apps I use anyway. I wish they wouldn't bother, but I guess they are easy enough to ignore and pretend they don't exist.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #557
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The built-in Roku in the TCL sets works pretty well.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #558
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Don't they all kind of suck? I have a secondary TV with built in Fire TV that is so painfully slow and buggy, I had to plug in a Roku. I've heard people say that the Shield is much better than the build in Android TV on Sony OLEDs. WebOS works decently enough, but only supports half the apps I use, so that's useless. Android TV isn't really ubiquitous enough to support the apps I use anyway. I wish they wouldn't bother, but I guess they are easy enough to ignore and pretend they don't exist.
I have a Sony X900H and the processor in it is surprisingly good. I have no issues with UI slowness or freezing apps that I get with the Hisense (also Android TV), and it can even run most of the same game emulators that the Shield can. A Shield is still hands down the best streaming hardware you can get, but the Sony TV's are close enough (at least the higher end ones) that it doesn't make sense to shell out another $200

Both the high end LG and Samsung TV's have decent processors on them as well, so if they switched to Android they'd perform far closer to the Shield than a Fire TV stick
Old 01-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #559
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

The new Sonys use google tv and to be honest is putts along at the same speed as the shield does for video apps. It really only loses the battle when you’re trying to side load or run some games that the shield doesn’t break a sweat on.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #560
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And so

- taking notes - If you want to buy a new TV... make the wife believe it was her idea. Brilliant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: