Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #8661
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
So about that report from Seravalli saying the Flames are after a right shot right-winger...

...Leadership. Grit. Experience with Darryl. Has 11G this season....
I'm in.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #8662
DSIM420
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Brown is 36 and his cap hit is $5.8 million . Sorry that’s a big no for me unless la eats 40 percent of that contract.
I could be wrong but I was listening to NHL radio last week and they were talking about Sutter and his relationship with the Kings players. If I recall it was Dustin Brown and him didn't get along and Dustin Brown would be happy to never talk to him again. It may have been one of the other big 3 but for some reason I have DB stuck in my head as that player. If that is the case I couldn't see him coming here.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #8663
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
I could be wrong but I was listening to NHL radio last week and they were talking about Sutter and his relationship with the Kings players. If I recall it was Dustin Brown and him didn't get along and Dustin Brown would be happy to never talk to him again. It may have been one of the other big 3 but for some reason I have DB stuck in my head as that player. If that is the case I couldn't see him coming here.
Look at the production.

Brown was being considered a bad contract and buyout candidate in that last season under Sutter.

Last season under Sutter: 36 points in 80 games

First Season Post Sutter: 61 points in 80 games

He for sure was happy to see Sutter gone and I doubt he wants to be reunited.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #8664
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Look at the production.

Brown was being considered a bad contract and buyout candidate in that last season under Sutter.

Brown is a gritty guy and you’d think he’d be a Sutter guy. But he also strikes me as strong willed and if he and Sutter disagreed on things I’m betting Sutter isn’t keen on that. I imagine Sutter wanted him in a role he didn’t agree with, especially as far as playing time was concerned, and it didn’t go over well.

I think Phaneuf probably wasn’t willing to listen to coaching either and that’s why Sutter got rid of him. So on the Flames who is that? Tkachuk strikes me as a guy who could get into a battle of wills with a coach. Bennett already has, but he’s way outmatched here. The rest seem coachable to me,

I’m really interested in Lucic’s view. He is the only guy to have been coached by Sutter, aside from Gio for 7 games.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #8665
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Look at the production.

Well if he was happy to see a coach go, who they won two cups with, so he could boost his individual stats for an outlier season career wise, despite already having a contract, then I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my team. But I imagine that isn’t what drives Brown, based on watching the guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #8666
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIM420 View Post
Sutter also stripped Brown of the Captaincy and he wasn’t happy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Brown is a gritty guy and you’d think he’d be a Sutter guy. But he also strikes me as strong willed and if he and Sutter disagreed on things I’m betting Sutter isn’t keen on that. I imagine Sutter wanted him in a role he didn’t agree with, especially as far as playing time was concerned, and it didn’t go over well.

I think Phaneuf probably wasn’t willing to listen to coaching either and that’s why Sutter got rid of him. So on the Flames who is that? Tkachuk strikes me as a guy who could get into a battle of wills with a coach. Bennett already has, but he’s way outmatched here. The rest seem coachable to me,

I’m really interested in Lucic’s view. He is the only guy to have been coached by Sutter, aside from Gio for 7 games.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...ense-approach/

Ryan Leslie did a live interview on SN after the news broke in the video in this link and about 90 seconds in he mentioned that he texted Lucic for his response and Lucic said “Get ready”.

Last edited by mile; 03-05-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #8667
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I have to disagree. Tkachuk doesn't strike me as the type to get into a battle of wills with a coach. Tkachuk strikes me as the type who demands accountability on the ice from himself and his teammates. So far he really hasn't had a coach who demands the same, which is why I think he's become frustrated. Darryl may be the best thing for Tkachuk, he'll let him go back to playing on the edge, and he'll demand that his teammates follow suite, rather than shy away and get Tkachuk to change his ways.
I also think for the same reasons, Bennett may get a fresh lease on his time here, and could become the player we'd hoped to get with the 4OA pick.

I'd love to see a Tkachuk-Bennett-Mangiapane line under Darryl's direction.

It feels like Christmas in March, this is incredible!
Old 03-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #8668
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope Bennett takes this fresh start and runs with it but Daryl isn't a miracle worker.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #8669
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I hope Bennett takes this fresh start and runs with it but Daryl isn't a miracle worker.
Craig Conroy and Sean Donovan were the Flames second and third leading scorers and they went to to game 7 of a cup final in 2004. He may actually be capable of miracles.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #8670
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I think we were all expecting a 30g 30-50a type player at 4th overall so if that's what he turns him into then yes he's a miracle worker.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #8671
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well I think we were all expecting a 30g 30-50a type player at 4th overall so if that's what he turns him into then yes he's a miracle worker.
I’ll take a 15G player.

20g-20a, Sutter would be a miracle worker.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #8672
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still think he is traded, my guess he is moved at the trade deadline.

He is likely a healthy scratch tonight

As I would think the Flames will go with their same lineup
Old 03-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #8673
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

I anticipate that Darryl will give
- the whole team improved structure and discipline, and attention to detail defensively
- Bennett crystal clear direction as to what he is expected to do.

Whether or not this helps Bennett not handle the puck like a hot potato, we shall see.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #8674
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double Post

Last edited by Calgary4LIfe; 03-06-2021 at 11:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #8675
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't realize I posted this in the Trade thread. Moving it to the Darryl Sutter hired thread.

Last edited by Calgary4LIfe; 03-06-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #8676
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Craig Conroy and Sean Donovan were the Flames second and third leading scorers and they went to to game 7 of a cup final in 2004. He may actually be capable of miracles.
Donovan is sure the definition of flash in the pan. Maybe the off year in Europe ruined him.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #8677
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Donovan is sure the definition of flash in the pan. Maybe the off year in Europe ruined him.
Ha, I wanted to know what Shean Donovan was up to and found this gem:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shean_Donovan

Quote:
His nickname is "The Storm", which he gave himself.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 PM   #8678
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
6'3", and could skate like a fart in a windstorm!
Old 03-07-2021, 01:11 AM   #8679
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre definitely still has some work to do. Tonight’s loss just reinforces the fact that we don’t have a game breaker on the roster. Johnny is fantastic, I love him but he’s not the guy that will put a team on his back and will them to victory. I thought Tkachuk would become that guy but he just hasn’t developed into that kind of player. Maybe Sutter can get him out of whatever funk he’s in but I’d still love to see Tre swing for the fences with Eichel.

Monahan + Tkachuk + 1st round pick + any prospect not named Zary or Pelletier.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:12 AM   #8680
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny is fantastic, I love him but he’s not the guy that will put a team on his back and will them to victory. I thought Tkachuk would become that guy but he just hasn’t developed into that kind of player. Maybe Sutter can get him out of whatever funk he’s in but I’d still love to see Tre swing for the fences with Eichel.
Can somebody tell me when Eichel put a team on his back and willed them to victory?